Notification sounds

Does anyone use notifications + sounds in gmail? I like them because if I'm doing other things on here and a mail comes in, the sound alerts me so I can answer straight away BUT.....

Just lately, they've become very unreliable. I do a test (from a different email) and there's no sound and no notification. I go to "Services", "Windows audio", click it, then right click and from the menu click "restart" (that's only restart the audio) and bingo, next test and I get the notification and sound.

After a while, it's back to no notification and no sound.

If I do two tests, there nothing until I "do something", until recently I had to jump through hoops to get it working again. Once, for some reason gmail had even "switched off" "play notification sound". It's very annoying.

Anyone got any ideas?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Notification sounds

Here is a link that may help you. Very informative and very straight forward.

https://windowsreport.com/gmail-notifications-not-working-chrome/

or this one:

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-mail-notifications-not-working/

Regards,

Peter.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Notification sounds

I'd already looked at those and gone through all the settings. 

It's very random. A notification arrived for one mail but not for another or it works fine for a lot of mails then suddenly..... doesn't.

I forgot to say I'm using Windows 11. I found it all worked faultlessly for years with Win 7 but even though I switched to the exact same settings when I moved to Win 10, there was the odd niggle but now I'm using Win 11 I can't really rely on it.

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Notification sounds

Furteher to all of the above, an example of how unreliable the notifications are, last night notifications and the sound was working fin, without me doing anything, they stopped. This morning, I sent a test mail and the notification flag arrived but with no sound, I sent another test a minute or two later and both the flag and the sound worked.

It can't be my system(s) because 1/ I'd not done anything, 2/ my Win 10 laptop was the same and that hadn't even been powered up! It must be something to do with gmail, but what?

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent