High CPU use.

Does anyone know what can be done about high CPU usage while using eBay?  I've had simlar issues on an older laptop and now a newer desktop using Windows XP, 7 and now 10.

I was trying to leave feedback on a recent purchase and the CPU use was so high I got fed up trying to type my comment. It kept pausing and giving me the blue wheel without finishing what I had typed.

While I type this question with no actual item or search open the CPU use it perfectly sensible (quite a low 5-6% actually) and my PC is responsive.  That says to me; it is not my PC but it must be what the website is trying to do while I am searching or shopping.

This is the only website I get this problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

High CPU use.

0-anthony-0
Helper

Find out what process is using your CPU excessively and do a browser search or post the details back here for assistance.

I'm guessing you know how to do that.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

High CPU use.

0-anthony-0
Helper

@twosidesofham In case you are unaware of how to access the CPU processes running right click on the toolbar/panel at the bottom of the screen and choose Task Manager then choose the Processes tab to find out what processes are running and what percentage of CPU use they are taking, scrolling down the list to fully see. Once you have discovered what process specifically is using up your CPU you can do further investigation, posting here or doing a browser search.

All the best.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

High CPU use.

Thanks for your interest.

The application with the high CPU use is always the search browser I'm using eBay on.  I've had similar issues with Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer.  Currently I'm using Microsoft Edge that comes with Windows 10.  It is as bad as ever.

As I type this, without my watch list or an active search open, the total CPU is generally below 10% and Microsoft Edge is generally below 5%.  When I navigate around my watch list, purchase history etc the CPU for Microsoft edge regularly goes up towards 50%.  This situation is worst when I have a new search open, the total CPU use regularly goes up over 75% before settling down after.  Scrolling becomes stuttering or full of pauses and there are long pauses navigating between pages.  Occasionally links need to clicked a scond time to actually change pages.

The only consistency with this issue is the eBay website.  Since my initial post I've changed a couple of settings, unchecked 'Convert to pounds sterling' in search options, and 'Use my information to show me relevant ads on eBay and other sites' to No in Advertising preferences.  This seems to have made a small difference.  But why should I have to deactivate default settings to make the website usable?

The settings on my PC will be at, or close to the default settings too.

It appears to me to be that the eBay website is trying to do too much on my PC to advertise at me with every new bit of information it gets about me, without due consideration to my browsing experience or the usability of my PC.

I'm sorry that this has degenerated into a little bit of a rant, it is certainly not directed at you.  Thanks again for your interest and any ideas you have will be greatly received.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

High CPU use.

Hi there,

The heavy advertising load seems to be most of the problem.  I now disable flash when I use ebay and it makes a noticeable difference in chrome and earlier versions of IE. It wont stop the ads but it knocks out the busiest ones. Its easy to enable it again when you need it for streaming etc. No 2 computers will have identical set ups so it may not work for everyone, but it works for me. Its certainly worth trying to see if there is an improvement.

For chrome paste chrome://plugins into the search bar. For IE its tools menu - manage addons.  Sorry I've no experience with MS edge but most browsers have a similar menu system.  

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

High CPU use.

Yes high spikes in cpu usage & page file usage during some ad running this week. Flash player high usage. I have disabled flash plugin in firefox is a cure to stop slow ebay browsing.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

High CPU use.

I have the same problem with my I7 with 16gb ram Ebay takes it from 9gb used to the max of 16gb then has an error message saying out of memeory reload page.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent