Microsoft capitulating, Edge will be Chromium-based

Not that Ashampoo is every tech-savvy person's go-to for trusted info, but I, with my very modest understanding, have found them quite serious 🙂  Plus I've read this elsewhere.

Soon, they say, only Firefox and Safari will not be Chromium-based, and that has implications.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, Scylla.

I don't think anyone denies Google's competence, but the thought of their becoming even more powerful is a little scary. I'm hoping that all the legal actions against them recently might make them stop and think about their responsibilities...

While the open-source Chromium is used, I suppose there's less cause for concern - and in all fairness, Chromium and its derivatives have a reputation for being sound, competent browsers. I just don't like the thought of Google making any more inroads into the average user's "internet experience."

For now, I think I'll stick with Firefox on Linux, thanks very much.

On a happier note, and one which might appeal to you more - I'm with the family on the annual visit to Harare. We have a couple of Spotted Eagle Owl "chicks" spending much of their time in the garden. They're pretty much full grown - I think - and if Spotted Eagle Owls are "little" Eagle Owls (according to Wikipedia), I wouldn't want to mess with any of the big ones. A misguided member of the household got a little too close to them when they were younger, and was attacked by the parents - nothing more serious than a bit of a bloody head for his pains, but they're really not to be messed with. They also drove the German Shepherd indoors in a bit of a rush, after she'd annoyed them.

Having said all that, they're oddly cute and appealing predators.

Which is more than could be said for Google and the like.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Did you know that I'm following a family of Spotted Eagle Owls?  The two (adopted, their natural parents having been killed by kids with catapults) owlets are fledged and won't be with us much longer - they have grown up in a plant pot on a balcony in Jo'burg, the adults return every year to breed.

Mama, Mpho & ThabsMama, Mpho & Thabs

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Hi, Scy.

Back in the Northern Hemisphere, and I see things are still pretty quiet around here...

Owl.JPG

A quick shot of our late and lamented owl chick. This was taken during Christmas Dinner - it was wandering round the garden wall, taking advantage of the "tunnel" between the wall and the bouganvillia (sp?). We noticed that it seemed incapable of flying, and after a few days of supplying it with day old chicks and so on, the family resorted to the advice of a local bird sanctuary and caught it.

This was less traumatic than expected. The nephew (good with animals) simply dropped a sheet over it and lowered it gently into a laundry basket. It was then driven to the bird sanctuary, whose experts found that one wing had a compound fracture and that, worse, it was running an infection. They had little hope of being able to do anything for the poor thing, but the family at least had a great day out at the bird sanctuary.

Back to computer stuff - the more I see of these things, the more convinced I am that we really need to be very cautious about what is slurping our data. Chrome is a very competent browser, but I don't like the fact that its privacy settings are even harder to find than the new Firefox's. I suppose the fact that it is so Google-centric makes me nervous, too.

For now, I think I'll stick to Firefox and various add-ons - and try to avoid ever having to rely on Microsoft for anything!

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Staying on birds, I'm afraid (well, this is the Cafe 😉 )...

All the birds I pictured above are dead.  It's 99% certain that they contracted trichomoniasis from a dove carrying it, which probably acquired it via an unclean birdbath.  Perhaps that's what "your" Spotted Eagle Owlet had too, it's running rampant in the area.

I and many others are in mourning, this was such a vibrant family.  Apparently "Pappa" survives but can be seen to be ill, however efforts to catch him so he can be treated have failed, he's flying too well.

Rather than wait for you to give me permission, dearest OE, I'm going to share your pic and story with the closed Facebook group where I've been monitoring the owls.  If I wait, you see, I'll get digressed - am already embroiled in a bald eagle tragedy.

Very sad.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent