OE, have you seen this and have you any comments?:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42202191

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Kaspersky???

If you visit The Register and do a bit of a search, you'll find they've had a certain amount about this lately. As ever, the comments following the relevant articles are illuminating.

All a bit over my head but, for what it's worth:

Antivirus software needs to burrow really deeply into a computer, identifying not only iffy files but iffy behaviour. There can't be much going on that your antivirus doesn't know about.

Antiviruses tend to telephone home. This is with honest intent, I think - dodgy looking stuff can be checked into.

That means that "the cloud" is involved and, as ever, who knows what control we have over what goes into the cloud?

Probably a little embarrassing if (say) NSA spyware is detected as something suspect, the details are forwarded to the mothership and dissected by the antivirus's boffins. They now know just how  the gummint spy programs whose behaviour betrayed those programs to the antivirus work.

If governments are nervous about a certain government (say, Russia), they might prefer not to have antivirus companies in that country's jurisdiction figuring out just what they (the governments) are up to, nor how they do it.

Given the need for security within intra-governmental communications, it would make sense for governments not to use an antivirus whose owners could be obliged to reveal anything sensitive which the antivirus software has unearthed.

For the rest of us, it's probably not a problem.

How governments cope with this, goodness knows. Are there, for instance, any UK-based antivirus vendors? Tricky. Even the built-in antivirus in modern Windows software is, after all, American - and who knows what it's observing and passing on, and to whom?

All great fun in a tin-hat sort of way, but as I said, I suspect it's of little consequence to most of us.

Just to be safe, I'll stick with a system that doesn't rely on antivirus (so far, touch wood...)

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Kaspersky???

A more recent article which may or may not be of interest:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/03/uk_government_bans_russian_anti_virus_software/

To be honest, nobody seems willing to come and say that anything bad is actually known about Kaspersky software. Presumably we're looking at an abundance of caution - simply frustrating a potential source of trouble, even though there is no evidence that it is actually a source of trouble.

Even in government departments (in the UK, at least), I get the impression that they are quite relaxed about Kaspersky except for secret stuff. The bank that binned it might have overreacted a little, as there seems no suggestion that Kaspersky poses any threat to Joe Ordinary.

In fact, it looks like quite a good AV.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Kaspersky???

Just to add to the 'grassy knolling' - all US Govt departments have until the end of the week to not only have removed Kaspersky from every nook and cranny of their IT, but they must be able to prove it..

I've forgotten where I found it - will have a rummage - but I think the US did find more than just sufficient grounds for banning it and don't forget, this is the company that Flynn went to work for when he was removed from office by Obama and then went on to considerable contacts and business with Russia.

And it was Flynn and his department who at the time identified Kaspersky as a security risk before his firing.

As for us wee bog-standard folk, maybe it's a question of just deciding how much caution each of us needs to excercise according to our individual situations.

I think they all leave something to be desired and it seems that companies all over the place have justified that using (and abusing) our personal data for their own gains is now the perfectly acceptable standard.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Kaspersky???

I have to say that I feel more and more convinced that something like Linux is the answer. Nothing's perfect, but any snoopery would be found and bruited abroad - the joys of open source. And so far - touch wood - no antivirus to worry about.

It might be a while before I bore you all again. I'm supposed to up at five (yech - one is NOT a morning person) to get ready for a taxi to the airport at six thirty. Twenty six hours of travel later, Lord willing, I should be joining the family in Harare for the festive season.

Unlikely that I'll be able to log in from there, especially as I've resolutely and grumpily declined to provide answers to "secret questions" in order to simplify getting back into my account in the event of trouble. I might just set up a spare posting account once I get there - if not, I hope everyone has a great Christmas.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent