Receiving of unsolicited items

I have received an item of clothing from where and who I have no idea !! The sender's reference number on the label doesn't register anywhere within e-Bay nor his name so I am stumped as to who to send my query to ? Am I allowed to give it to a charity shop ? t's not an item I would ever have bought or ordered and my daughter seem to think that it has been sent out by sller's from abroad that want to show e-Bay that they are actively selling but that seems weird to me. Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Are you sure this is from an eBay seller?

If you have purchased some recent items from eBay,  checkout those sellers,  they may just have posted to the wrong buyer.

Click on the seller's listings,  then down the left sidebar click on Sold.  If you find the item there, send that seller a message  that you have received their item in error,  for them to send you enough money to cover a fully tracked return postage to return the item back to them.

Do not be fobbed off with sending to the correct buyer, it goes back to the seller.

If this is not the case, and no one else in your household knows of this purchase,  google Brushing Scam see if that applies here.

End of the day , if it leads nowhere to the identity of the sender,  I personally would keep it a little while just in case,   then if it's still all quiet, treat it as unsolicited mail and hand the item if you wish, to a charity shop.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

This is how unsolicted goods are viewed in the UK

If you've been sent unsolicited goods, you are entitled to treat them as an unconditional gift and do with them as you choose. You are not required to keep them for any amount of time and you are certainly not required to pay for them. Any attempt to demand payment (by threatening means or otherwise) is unlawful.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I live by myself and nobody else uses my eBay account and I've checked out all the other sellers that I have bought from over the 6 weeks and drawn a blank and with no correct reference on the posting label (they used Yodel ) I can only declare defeat and pass on to the charity shop. Thank you for your advice though it's very appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you for your advice and I'm going to take it to the charity shop on my next trip there, I've exhausted all routes to find out who could have sent it to me with a view to returning it to them. So I've decided I will take it to the charity shop on my next trip there. Thank you for your reply to me and advice it's very appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

You are very welcome, and yes, the charity shop then,  is the answer here.  You've done all you can to find the seller.

@sunnylanchbury 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent