Have eBay made it harder for hackers in recent years?

I have just come back to eBay after getting phished a few years ago by someone who got my email address, knew I was on eBay, sent a believable perfectly spelt message that linked me to the PayPal website, which turned out to be cloned. I rarely got phished as I was careful, knew what to look out for, and had very few accounts online. I still have no idea how this creep knew I was on eBay or how they got my email address. Ebay and PayPal made all the right noises at the time expressing concern and assuring action but they did nothing and I received another email from the same fraudster a couple of weeks later. It's taken me 4 years to come back. Please can you tell me what measures eBay have taken to tighten up their online security and if they actually do try to protect their customers, buyers and sellers, from fraudulent activity on their website? I don't think warning us to be vigilant is enough as it releases them somewhat of their responsibility, which is greater, surely? Any suggestions, advice etc would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Have eBay made it harder for hackers in recent years?

eBay will never reveal any methods they use or don't use, or steps thay have taken  for online security.

I agree messages sent from these hackers look very,  very real and you're right they are getting better at spelling, not that simple to spot them that way.

eBay's message will come through eBay messaging centre and will use your name never just your username ID.

I fully understand your concern after being a victim here, personally if it was mem any message even through their messaging system I would first contact eBay Customer Services and ask if they can confim they sent the message before replying,  and of course the old ruling stands,  never click on any links in any emails.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent