💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 30.11.22 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of kat@ebay , dave@ebay  and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

2 questions if i may please

First one how do you justify letting private sellers sell personalised or multi varionational listings ? If they are personalising (making things) then common sense says they are a business so why do you allow them to trade outside the law and avoid giving buyers their full rights? 

Second one i sell in car parts 

Why when listings are reported for multiple policy breaches through the "report listing" button do you not remove them? For instance 99p "BREAKING WHEEL NUT" adverts that are used to generate off ebay sales or engine listings at 99p that then say the correct price is £1000 ? 

Message 2 of 47
See Most Recent

@ianseymoursalvage 

perfect questions that the community won't/can't answer

I would like to know the answers to these questions as well and wait with bated breath for a reply,

Message 3 of 47
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi @pixiesen2012,

We welcome questions here to the weekly chat and Dave will get back to the member shortly.

Please be aware that posts may be removed from this chat if they do not include a question.

Any discussion is asked to be moved to the discussion boards.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 47
See Most Recent

How many years is it now, Ian that you have been bringing the wheel nut issue to the boards? ☹️

Message 5 of 47
See Most Recent

Hey guys - estimated delivery dates again, sorry... I have orders showing with estimated delivery for Friday 9th December, which is another Royal Mail strike day and so they will not be delivered on that day! Are eBay aware that there are more strikes due to take place and if so, will the EDDs be adjusted to allow for them? Thank you.

Message 6 of 47
See Most Recent

Now that item specifics has been rolled out for a while. Are Ebay going to revisit the current item specific choices to make them relevant to the UK market and review/add/delete those that are entered by sellers that are not currently on the item specific menus.

Message 7 of 47
See Most Recent

@petals-and-paws wrote:

Hey guys - estimated delivery dates again, sorry... I have orders showing with estimated delivery for Friday 9th December, which is another Royal Mail strike day and so they will not be delivered on that day! Are eBay aware that there are more strikes due to take place and if so, will the EDDs be adjusted to allow for them? Thank you.

Hi @petals-and-paws ,

Similar to the previous communication for the strike days its a ever changing situation. Right now we are taking this weeks dates into account. We are continuing to monitor the future dates and once we have more information on this we will update accordingly.

Thank you,

Kat

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support
Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.

eBay
Message 8 of 47
See Most Recent

I do hope that ebay will take into account the fact that even if the strike were to end today, there are backlogs that will slow the service for quite some time?

Message 9 of 47
See Most Recent

@ianseymoursalvage wrote:

2 questions if i may please

First one how do you justify letting private sellers sell personalised or multi varionational listings ? If they are personalising (making things) then common sense says they are a business so why do you allow them to trade outside the law and avoid giving buyers their full rights? 

Second one i sell in car parts 

Why when listings are reported for multiple policy breaches through the "report listing" button do you not remove them? For instance 99p "BREAKING WHEEL NUT" adverts that are used to generate off ebay sales or engine listings at 99p that then say the correct price is £1000 ? 

Hi @ianseymoursalvage 

For variations listings it could be that a private seller is having a clear out and has some variations of an item so the option is available. The option for personalisation as with variations is built into the listing tool itself and it may not be possible to turn the option off based on how the account is set up. I will pass your feedback back to the development team to review. 

The second question can be for a couple of reasons. I have seen the listings you are talking about, I worked P&A for 6 years. The accounts are reviewed when reported and in some cases it can be that the sellers are breaking a car and they get requests for the parts which are then listed on site for the buyers. There can also be cases when sellers are trying to push buyers off site. These are then actioned accordingly.

As always please report theses issues when you see them, they are reviewed by the different policy teams. I know it can seem there is no action but depnding on a number of reasons the action might not be visable on site.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 10 of 47
See Most Recent

Hello,

- Any update on the new listing tools issues ?

- Video games category is still abused by sellers using the variations/catalogue offers trick to get more sales and avoid ebay fees.

Thanks

Message 11 of 47
See Most Recent

Thanks Kat - unsure if eBay are aware that there is a mass rally being planned by the CWU in London that day, with transport being put on by every delivery depot / mail centre in the UK for the Royal Mail workers to attend, so definitely doesn't look as though there will be any deliveries that day. Hopefully the adjustments will be made soon, otherwise the dates being shown to buyers will be impossible again.

Message 12 of 47
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

I do hope that ebay will take into account the fact that even if the strike were to end today, there are backlogs that will slow the service for quite some time?

Hi @kempseykate ,

Seller protections are  in place till December 9th but for now its strike days that are being taken into account regarding the EDD's. I understand your point about backlogs  so I will share this with the shipping team for review.

Thank you,

Kat

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support

eBay
Message 13 of 47
See Most Recent

dave@ebay wrote:

I know it can seem there is no action but depnding on a number of reasons the action might not be visable on site.

How can actions not be visible? If a business seller is falsely registered as a private seller, and they are reported time, after time, and their details are passed on to 2 community staff to send to the relevant department, if they are STILL selling as a private seller, then nothing has been done, has it?  We can see if the issues have been addressed or not, and sadly most of the time, they are not.

As a private seller, I have NEVER found the need to use multivariations. Partly because the items are all supposed to be in identical condition.

Message 14 of 47
See Most Recent

The sellers with the 99p listings have been doing it for years and still continue to do it so obviously the "actions" you are taking are not severe enough.

Each one of these listings has numerous policy breaches so even if you gave them the benefit of doubt on one theres ten other breaches

No item listed for sale

Search and browse manipulation

Avoiding ebay fees

Keyword Spamming 

etc

etc

Us honest car parts sellers run the gauntlet of returns,bad feedback,late deliveries and god knows what else and pay you fees on each sale

These listings avoid all this

Instead of roadshows and telling us how to sell why not devote a dedicated team to sort car parts out once and for all!!!

I could sort it out in a month its easy,get rid of those cheating fees and the genuine sellers then sell more generating far more revenue for you its a win win for everyone including the buyers too as they deal with genuine sellers and the transactions are done through ebay.

Message 15 of 47
See Most Recent

I've had a look for the first time at this issue and it's crazy !

Would be nice if ebay create a category where sellers can list 1 vehicle with a variations for each parts available on this vehicle.

And one category just of single one off parts.

It would be such a good experience for the buyers to be able to buy easily many parts from one vehicle/seller.

Message 16 of 47
See Most Recent

For ever Kate

I have even had at least two ebay CEO tell me they would deal with it and then they dont

I just dont understand a fee driven company allowing it ? 

Ebay just like easy targets penalising those who play by the rules for minor mistakes or things they cannot control while at the same time allowing sellers who contribute nothing to the site to continue scamming

Message 17 of 47
See Most Recent

@eshopforce01 wrote:

Hello,

- Any update on the new listing tools issues ?

- Video games category is still abused by sellers using the variations/catalogue offers trick to get more sales and avoid ebay fees.

Thanks

Hi @eshopforce01 ,

It has been sent as feedback previously and I remember discussing this back in June. I will again share it with the relevant team. The development teams can have a number of different priorities given the size of the eBay platform so there is no further update on this at the moment.

Thank you,

Kat

eBay
Message 18 of 47
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Reminder:

Please only use the weekly chat to ask questions to the eBay community team.

We welcome all members to open discussion threads on topics where others can discuss further.

Posts with no questions to the team may be removed from the chat.

Thanks,

Katie

eBay
Message 19 of 47
See Most Recent

@bayseeker11 wrote:

Now that item specifics has been rolled out for a while. Are Ebay going to revisit the current item specific choices to make them relevant to the UK market and review/add/delete those that are entered by sellers that are not currently on the item specific menus.

Hi @bayseeker11 ,

Just so I understand, do you mean the required specifics?  Theses are generally added and removed based on how items are searched. As some of them become less relevant they can sometimes be removed as part of site updates. 

At the moment Im not aware of any changes being made but there could be some coming as part of future updates. I do  understand you on the more UK relevant specifics though. The site in parts has moved towards a unified look across the different locations and can sometimes show more universal phrases. 

If there are also discrepancies in the catalogue there is a team that deals directly with this and and they can review and remove any specifics where needed. 

If you need to remove specifics like that let me know and Ill send you the details on how to report them.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 20 of 47
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.