Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 20.03.24 @2pm

Hi everyone,

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay, and @dave@ebay Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on, we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have, and we’ll do all we can to support. 

How the chat works:

• The chat will open at 2pm and will remain open for new questions until 3pm each Wednesday.
  • We will answer the questions chronologically and will reply after 3pm if needed.
  • To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply.
  • We will reply quoting your question.
  • This chat is designed to provide quick replies from eBay employees on subjects we can assist you with publicly. 

Rules:

• One question per reply. If you have multiple questions, please do multiple replies.
  • Follow the community guidelines, which can be found here
  • Your reply must contain a question. Please do not reply to another members question with an answer. Replies with no questions may be removed to help with the reading of this thread.
  • This thread will close in one hour, so please open a discussion thread and @mention our team if your question is in-depth, ongoing, or more of a general complaint. This way, we can reply to you in a way that is most beneficial to all.

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us, or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

In 2022 I created a business account for my ecommerce business HTR Trading Ltd, the user name was mountgihulo. My business eBay account was suspended shortly after a few successful sales.  Unfortunately, I haven't received a detailed explanation for this action.

I've been selling on Amazon without any problems and keen to resume selling on eBay.

Could I request a review of the suspension and to provide guidance on rectifying the situation?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your guidance on how we can move forward.

Message 2 of 34
See Most Recent

Hi Marco and Dave - nice to meet you.

I am a business seller and have noticed a bug with the estimated delivery date on my listings (the "Postage, returns and payments" section of the listing shows estimated delivery date and that's then displayed to the buyer on their order as the estimated delivery date).

My seller account setting are posting weekdays before 3pm so the estimated delivery date should change at 3pm. Instead, it changes at midnight(12am).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266679203648

My order cutoff is 3pm so at 3pm today the delivery estimate should change from:

Free 2-3 day postage Get it between Fri, 22 Mar and Sat, 23 Mar

To

Free 2-3 day postage Get it between Sat, 23 Mar and Mon, 25 Mar

Unfortunately, nothing will happen until midnight.

I have raised it in technical issues here:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Estimated-delivery-dates-times-EDD-cut-off-time-bug...

Message 3 of 34
See Most Recent

Please can you help me understand how I can take a day off.

Scenario one: This is what happened this week.

I always post on Mondays, but this week I had a funeral so needed to take the day off. I set my holiday settings to come on unti Monday evening on Sunday at 4.30pm and changed my dispatch time to 2 working days.

However sales were coming in and were still showing delivery times as Wed- Thurs for 2nd class post.

I contacted live chat for help and was told I needed to mark my shop as closed for sales. Which is ridiculous.

I ended up having to work on the morning of a friends funeral in order to get these orders sent out and delivered when the customer expected them.

And Scenario two:

I work alone. We have a family emergency. I need to put my shop on holiday mode. But hang on - I can’t make it effective immediately. What I am I supposed to do? My husband in hospital having suffered a heart attack, but I  will just wait until my shop goes into holiday mode before I join him.

Ive attached a screenshot of what I was up against on Monday.

Message 4 of 34
See Most Recent

Hello My eBay Community Team,

hope you are having a fantastic day and not too busy.

I tagged both dave@ebay and marco@ebay in a thread on Saturday (16th) which I guess you do not work on the weekends but I have seen both commenting on other threads but sadly it seems both have either missed my tag (I doubled checked it was done correctly) and the notification or just ignored it (which im sure wouldnt be the case) expectign the other to respond.

The thread is question I ahev copied a link below

Re: Update on listing items - UK eBay Community

There was also a thread just started askign a similar question

Re: Buisness sellers - UK eBay Community

I do not expect a reply saying please report these as that does not answer any of the questions that were being raised but a explanation of what eBay are doing and why they are not actually acting on the report, we as a simple customer of eBay know they are breaking not only eBay policy but also the law but ti seems somehow eBay (a multi billion dollar company) and its great AI are claiming to know better than us, so I'd love a response to the questions raised on the threads.

Also just to point out what another customer of eBay has pointed out, there is no actual report for a business seller on a private account so its no shock to anyone that AI is not highlighting these.

Also in the future if the tags are ignored/missed would it be seen as spamming if I were to tag again?

Message 5 of 34
See Most Recent

Can I please ask, when will Ebay start clamping down on business sellers selling on private accounts? I have seen several in the categories that I sell in with 300+ listings and buyers are not getting their full rights as the acccounts are flouting Ebay rules.

Message 6 of 34
See Most Recent

@k10_12 wrote:

In 2022 I created a business account for my ecommerce business HTR Trading Ltd, the user name was mountgihulo. My business eBay account was suspended shortly after a few successful sales.  Unfortunately, I haven't received a detailed explanation for this action.

I've been selling on Amazon without any problems and keen to resume selling on eBay.

Could I request a review of the suspension and to provide guidance on rectifying the situation?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your guidance on how we can move forward.

Hi k10_12, thanks for your post.

We wouldn't be able to look into account suspensions over here, for that you would need to contact our customer service team here, so they can look into it for you. However, please note that some details we don't share in order to prevent users from bypassing our policies and/or procedures, so if you are looking for an exact reason, they might not be in a position to disclose that information with you.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 7 of 34
See Most Recent

Hi again, 2 months a go I posted a suggestion re MAX POSTAGE ON CDs and Dave replied ...(.re-stated below fyi )  could you advise what the outcome was of referring it to `shipping` please, I cant see how to find my original chat..???..

"Can you see why there is still a max postage charge of £3.50 for CDs? This was introduced many years ago when you didn’t charge fees on postage and people were putting items on at 99p with £5 or more postage. This is no longer relevant and as any double CDs or boxed sets cost £4.69 tracked Royal mail 2nd class £3.50 is no longer sufficient"

REPLY…. As you know that was part of the reason for capping postage, I'll definitely pass this to shipping to be reviewed though as the costs do change over time. 

Obviously I cant say at the moment if it is something that I can get changed but I will have it looked into.

Thanks,

Dave 

Message 8 of 34
See Most Recent

@chilloutgames wrote:

Hi Marco and Dave - nice to meet you.

I am a business seller and have noticed a bug with the estimated delivery date on my listings (the "Postage, returns and payments" section of the listing shows estimated delivery date and that's then displayed to the buyer on their order as the estimated delivery date).

My seller account setting are posting weekdays before 3pm so the estimated delivery date should change at 3pm. Instead, it changes at midnight(12am).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266679203648

My order cutoff is 3pm so at 3pm today the delivery estimate should change from:

Free 2-3 day postage Get it between Fri, 22 Mar and Sat, 23 Mar

To

Free 2-3 day postage Get it between Sat, 23 Mar and Mon, 25 Mar

Unfortunately, nothing will happen until midnight.

I have raised it in technical issues here:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Estimated-delivery-dates-times-EDD-cut-off-time-bug...

Hi chilloutgames, thanks for your question.

Please note that we've reviewed multiple cases including scenarios like yours, and we haven't found any faults. After taking a quick look on the examples you provided, I see no issues either. I understand where you are coming from, but our EDDs are dynamic, so they adjust accordingly based on the transaction details (shipping type, buyer's location, etc), which is why you are seeing that. For further information, you can visit our estimated delivery dates page here.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 9 of 34
See Most Recent

I sold a coin yesterday 19/03 at 22:22pm (item number 315121353768).

My dispatch time on that is the same day but with a 5am cut off so of course with a sale in the evening, I am required to post the next day 20/03. If it was earlier in the day I may have posted same day after my cut off time due to the pressure eBay put on with the EDD but it was impossible.

The postage option the buyer selected was free - Royal Mail 2nd class letter.

The estimated delivery date shown to buyer: 21 Mar 2024- 22 Mar 2024.

This is optimistic, there is no accessible tracking on a 2nd class letter so I may never know but there is virtually no way  that is arriving next day as the buyer isn’t local. RM 2nd class is a 2-3 day service so delivery on the 22nd is at best 50/50.

If eBay want me to post 1st class then why not just say this instead of making the EDD so difficult to achieve?

If I click on the tracking number it then gives an ‘arrives’ date, which is 20 Mar 2024 - 21 Mar 2024. How can a letter posted on the 20th, arrive on the 20th? Why does this date range differ from what you show to the buyer by 1 day, I don’t get it? Is that the date that goes against the late delivery metrics or is it the one shown to the buyer that I need to be concerned with?

I uploaded the ‘tracking’ (my Royal Mail letter reference) at 10:50am today. Why does the tracking number provided time always show 7 hours earlier, in this case 3:50am as though I am on USA time?

Especially in cases where I upload tracking quickly, I think buyers must look at it and wonder how it could be created nearly

7 hours before they even bought the item? Is this error having any impact on the EDD’s? Please make it make sense.

Message 10 of 34
See Most Recent

Please can I have a quick reply to my latest tags in the mentor lounge ahead of the Ascot roadshow tomorrow?

Message 11 of 34
See Most Recent

@louisianna wrote:

Please can you help me understand how I can take a day off.

Scenario one: This is what happened this week.

I always post on Mondays, but this week I had a funeral so needed to take the day off. I set my holiday settings to come on unti Monday evening on Sunday at 4.30pm and changed my dispatch time to 2 working days.

However sales were coming in and were still showing delivery times as Wed- Thurs for 2nd class post.

I contacted live chat for help and was told I needed to mark my shop as closed for sales. Which is ridiculous.

I ended up having to work on the morning of a friends funeral in order to get these orders sent out and delivered when the customer expected them.

And Scenario two:

I work alone. We have a family emergency. I need to put my shop on holiday mode. But hang on - I can’t make it effective immediately. What I am I supposed to do? My husband in hospital having suffered a heart attack, but I  will just wait until my shop goes into holiday mode before I join him.

Ive attached a screenshot of what I was up against on Monday.

Hi louisianna, thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral, I hope you are doing ok.

Leave this one with me, and I'll look into it after the chat, I will get back to you here by the end of the day with an update on it.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 12 of 34
See Most Recent

Thanks Marco - appreciated

Message 13 of 34
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Hello My eBay Community Team,

hope you are having a fantastic day and not too busy.

I tagged both dave@ebay and marco@ebay in a thread on Saturday (16th) which I guess you do not work on the weekends but I have seen both commenting on other threads but sadly it seems both have either missed my tag (I doubled checked it was done correctly) and the notification or just ignored it (which im sure wouldnt be the case) expectign the other to respond.

The thread is question I ahev copied a link below

Re: Update on listing items - UK eBay Community

There was also a thread just started askign a similar question

Re: Buisness sellers - UK eBay Community

I do not expect a reply saying please report these as that does not answer any of the questions that were being raised but a explanation of what eBay are doing and why they are not actually acting on the report, we as a simple customer of eBay know they are breaking not only eBay policy but also the law but ti seems somehow eBay (a multi billion dollar company) and its great AI are claiming to know better than us, so I'd love a response to the questions raised on the threads.

Also just to point out what another customer of eBay has pointed out, there is no actual report for a business seller on a private account so its no shock to anyone that AI is not highlighting these.

Also in the future if the tags are ignored/missed would it be seen as spamming if I were to tag again?

Hi pg_kicks, thanks for your question.

We will look into that thread for you after this chat.

We review multiple threads/tags a day, so while tagging us will help for us to see your thread, it doesn't guarantee you that we will get back to you. And no, feel free to tag us when you want, so we can give you a hand.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 14 of 34
See Most Recent

Hi, I placed a Click & Collect order that was supposed to be shipped with tracked delivery, but seller didn't upload the tracking and the order progress is not updating. Will I receive the collection code once it arrives at the selected store, and if not is there a way to fix it? Thank you 

Message 15 of 34
See Most Recent

@choughed-to-bits wrote:

Can I please ask, when will Ebay start clamping down on business sellers selling on private accounts? I have seen several in the categories that I sell in with 300+ listings and buyers are not getting their full rights as the acccounts are flouting Ebay rules.

Hi choughed-to-bits, thanks for your question.

This is constantly under review, if you see accounts that you don't think are in compliance with our policies/procedures, please continue to report them.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 34
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I sold a coin yesterday 19/03 at 22:22pm (item number 315121353768).

My dispatch time on that is the same day but with a 5am cut off so of course with a sale in the evening, I am required to post the next day 20/03. If it was earlier in the day I may have posted same day after my cut off time due to the pressure eBay put on with the EDD but it was impossible.

The postage option the buyer selected was free - Royal Mail 2nd class letter.

The estimated delivery date shown to buyer: 21 Mar 2024- 22 Mar 2024.

This is optimistic, there is no accessible tracking on a 2nd class letter so I may never know but there is virtually no way  that is arriving next day as the buyer isn’t local. RM 2nd class is a 2-3 day service so delivery on the 22nd is at best 50/50.

If eBay want me to post 1st class then why not just say this instead of making the EDD so difficult to achieve?

If I click on the tracking number it then gives an ‘arrives’ date, which is 20 Mar 2024 - 21 Mar 2024. How can a letter posted on the 20th, arrive on the 20th? Why does this date range differ from what you show to the buyer by 1 day, I don’t get it? Is that the date that goes against the late delivery metrics or is it the one shown to the buyer that I need to be concerned with?

I uploaded the ‘tracking’ (my Royal Mail letter reference) at 10:50am today. Why does the tracking number provided time always show 7 hours earlier, in this case 3:50am as though I am on USA time?

Especially in cases where I upload tracking quickly, I think buyers must look at it and wonder how it could be created nearly

7 hours before they even bought the item? Is this error having any impact on the EDD’s? Please make it make sense.

Hi technthread, thanks for your question.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Please note that our EDDs are dynamic, so they adjust accordingly based on the transaction details (courier, shipping service, dispatching times, buyer's location, etc) this is why you are seeing that. So, I while I understand where you are coming from, Iit is working ok. For further information on our estimated delivery dates, you can visit our help pages on it here.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 17 of 34
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

@choughed-to-bits wrote:

Hi choughed-to-bits, thanks for your question.

This is constantly under review, if you see accounts that you don't think are in compliance with our policies/procedures, please continue to report them.

Thank you,

Marco

Who actually reviews it please? Just the reports we get back mention AI look into and find no policy breaches whereas I can see huge ones each time I report a listing. Any chance we could know the department who review the reviewing? 

Message 18 of 34
See Most Recent

@russellmattin wrote:

Hi again, 2 months a go I posted a suggestion re MAX POSTAGE ON CDs and Dave replied ...(.re-stated below fyi )  could you advise what the outcome was of referring it to `shipping` please, I cant see how to find my original chat..???..

"Can you see why there is still a max postage charge of £3.50 for CDs? This was introduced many years ago when you didn’t charge fees on postage and people were putting items on at 99p with £5 or more postage. This is no longer relevant and as any double CDs or boxed sets cost £4.69 tracked Royal mail 2nd class £3.50 is no longer sufficient"

REPLY…. As you know that was part of the reason for capping postage, I'll definitely pass this to shipping to be reviewed though as the costs do change over time. 

Obviously I cant say at the moment if it is something that I can get changed but I will have it looked into.

Thanks,

Dave 

Hi @russellmattin 

This was passed back to the Shipping team unfortunately I don't have any updates. We will usually communicate any updates to the pricing etc thorough the announcements boards. 

I'm not aware of any changes yet but I will post any update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 19 of 34
See Most Recent

Can you send us a screen shot showing the option for reporting 

a business seller who is trading on a private account.

Astronomy is looking up
Message 20 of 34
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.