Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 15.11.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay, katie@ebay and anita@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Missing Nectar points question

I’ve been having an issue with Nectar points not being awarded on some of my perfectly normal purchases recently, and not being logged on my eBay Nectar summary page. marco@ebay.com has passed it to the team to be looked into, thank you Marco. So far, there's no news, but until today, my eBay Nectar page showed normally, with my card linked for collecting and spending, but today it says, on a red banner,

You have not visited for a while.

You may need to relink, or your account is disabled. Please relink your card, or link a new Nectar account.

Obviously it’s not showing any previous purchases or running total points at the moment. Over at nectar.com, all still looks normal (aside from the missing eBay transactions and their points, of course) and it lists eBay as a linked spending partner, with nothing apparently amiss.

Is it safe for me to relink my card on eBay now, or will it mess something up? Asking because perhaps the current situation is due to eBay looking into the issue I have reported and I don’t want to accidentally delete all hope of correcting the missing points, particularly as a more expensive purchase yesterday, after I reported the issue with the previous ones, didn’t get its points either.

Message 2 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

Missing Nectar points question

I’ve been having an issue with Nectar points not being awarded on some of my perfectly normal purchases recently, and not being logged on my eBay Nectar summary page. marco@ebay.com has passed it to the team to be looked into, thank you Marco. So far, there's no news, but until today, my eBay Nectar page showed normally, with my card linked for collecting and spending, but today it says, on a red banner,

You have not visited for a while.

You may need to relink, or your account is disabled. Please relink your card, or link a new Nectar account.

Obviously it’s not showing any previous purchases or running total points at the moment. Over at nectar.com, all still looks normal (aside from the missing eBay transactions and their points, of course) and it lists eBay as a linked spending partner, with nothing apparently amiss.

Is it safe for me to relink my card on eBay now, or will it mess something up? Asking because perhaps the current situation is due to eBay looking into the issue I have reported and I don’t want to accidentally delete all hope of correcting the missing points, particularly as a more expensive purchase yesterday, after I reported the issue with the previous ones, didn’t get its points either.

Hi contessa35, thanks for your post.

No problem at all, you can go ahead and try again. If it doesn't work, I already escalated this with Nectar, and I will post an update as soon as I get one on your original post.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 44
See Most Recent

Almost daily, there are questions and complaints in the forum from members who have opened a return case and chosen the reason 'wrong size/doesn't fit' for return.  This counts as a change of mind return so, if it is a private seller, they can refuse the return.  If it is a business, the buyer has to pay for the return.

The issue is that the buyer may actually be returning an item which is NOT AS DESCRIBED.  For example, a car part they have been assured will fit their car or a pair of shoes listed as a Size 6 and labelled Size 4.

Could Ebay have a look at the 'wrong size/does not fit' reason and add a short sentence to indicate this is not appropriate for a 'not as described' item.  Buyers only get one chance to open a case.  If they choose 'the wrong reason' for the case, they lose out.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 44
See Most Recent

Hello 

I am typing this message with tears rolling down my eyes, I’m heavily pregnant was rushed to hospital late last night because of how much stress this has caused me. This is caused my family so much stress in a time today we’re finically everything is uncertain I think for eBay to have this process in place is unlawful and unethical. I can’t stress how much I wish I just listened to my family with their experience on eBay it I honestly thought this was the better platform so went with it and looks where I am today. I sell luxurious watches on your site, I take my time in sourcing them and ensure all are sold with documents to prove the authenticity. Bearing in mind to sell anything on eBay it has to be authenticated by your team, a watch I sold had been approved and sent to the buyer early last month. I then listed another watch, I think you had a few queries on the legitimacy of this watch so restricted my account. I sent all the documents that you requested to show proof of merchandise which was the receipt. On this basis you indefinitely suspended my account. To even get an explanation I spent the entire day yesterday talking to 5-7 agents on the phone in the chat till I finally spoke to someone that had remorse for my situation. She transferred me to the supervisor Ana who was lovely and actually listened to me. She understood why I was upset, and confirmed why my account was suspended. 

This is my issue. For you to even say to a user we will pay the money when we want to pay the money is unacceptable. You have suspended an account which implies you’ve concluded your investigation because really part of deciding whether an account should be suspended which is the harshest punishment you have for your buyers - surely you would carry out all necessary checks/ investigations. So why now should a customer wait 7 months for their money?

I don't just need this money I need it badly. I have already waited weeks for it, you sent this item to the buyer it went through your authentication process. You know this has been delivered as you adde dthe tracking information. Why should you now keep the money and not even know when this money will be released. What addens me when I investigated more, I noticed I am not alone. Some people have waiting 2 years plus for thousands of their own money. I am confident there has been an error in the documents I sent and how they were reviewed. 

I can not spend another night in the hospital. I just want someone to listen to me and helo me. I have had advisors hang up the phone on me when I was having a panick attack, the treatment I have recieved yesterday is inhumane. 

Please can somebody just help me. I am begging at this stage I've posted my reviews everywhere. Called countless times, spent hours on your webchat, emails, social media everything. I have no idea what to do I can't just sit and wait for years for my money. If I don't get this money I could lose my property. It's serious. 

Message 5 of 44
See Most Recent

Given that Royal Mail have been found to be failing miserably on their delivery targets, so bad that they were fined £5.6M this week, will eBay will be adjusting their 'dynamic' delivery estimates which are clearly based on false information from Royal Mail?

And will they be offering sellers protection against late marks and INRs for issues that are 100% out of their control?

Message 6 of 44
See Most Recent

With the news that Ofcom has fined Royal Mail £5.6m for failing to meet its First and Second Class delivery targets in the 2022/23 financial year, will ebay stand by its famous 'working as designed' mantra in regards to the farcical EDDs? 
Reports that some areas are getting fortnightly deliveries are not uncommon but it still appears that those at ebay towers still have their heads in the sand in regards to delivery times.

Please advise!

Message 7 of 44
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

Almost daily, there are questions and complaints in the forum from members who have opened a return case and chosen the reason 'wrong size/doesn't fit' for return.  This counts as a change of mind return so, if it is a private seller, they can refuse the return.  If it is a business, the buyer has to pay for the return.

The issue is that the buyer may actually be returning an item which is NOT AS DESCRIBED.  For example, a car part they have been assured will fit their car or a pair of shoes listed as a Size 6 and labelled Size 4.

Could Ebay have a look at the 'wrong size/does not fit' reason and add a short sentence to indicate this is not appropriate for a 'not as described' item.  Buyers only get one chance to open a case.  If they choose 'the wrong reason' for the case, they lose out.

Hi @jckl1957, thanks for your post.

I am happy to pass on that feedback to the relevant team, so it can be taken into consideration for future updates. Having said that we can't guarantee that all suggestions will always be implemented.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 8 of 44
See Most Recent

The unintended absence of the UK in the shipped-to countries for US sellers glitch continues...

The week before last in the Community Chat hour, I reported an issue that has become increasingly widespread where UK buyers are unable to bid, make offers or do Buy It Nows on listings by US sellers in certain categories (e.g. anything in the Dolls & Bears category and its sub-categories, and similarly for Toys & Games, but it seems other categories are affected too). This affects other buyers that I’ve checked with, using various different platforms (any Windows-based browsers, but also Android, iPhones etc.), and is reported by lots of US sellers too, once they have noticed it (often they don’t know until a frustrated UK buyer contacts them). Most eBay representatives (including the response to my query) seem to assume the cause is simply that the sellers have not included the UK in the list of countries they ship to (or have accidentally included it in the list of countries they DON’T ship to), but that is not the case. Many of the affected sellers are very experienced with a long history of shipping to the UK, and the issue suddenly affects their new listings even though they’ve changed nothing in their previously-working listing technique, and it will also instantly affect their previously-unaffected listings once those automatically renew for another term if they have not yet sold. Every attempt they make to add the UK to the countries they ship to ends in failure, as a symptom of the glitch is that the UK is not available in any of the country listings from which they can select, and there appears to be no other means of adding it, either.

Whilst there are various clunky workarounds (relisting under a different category, adding UK buyers to exemption lists and so on, or not using eBay International Shipping in listings – it does mostly seem to affect sellers who are enrolled in EIS as far as I can see – these often require individual correspondence between a UK buyer and the US seller, and are not really a satisfactory workaround for auction listings in particular.

So I’d like to point out that this is still happening. It might be relevant for me to point out this thread on the US Community, which at one point refers to my original query, which a US poster had spotted – I discovered this only the other day! If nothing else, I think it proves that it is troubling US sellers and gives more detail and insight to their side of things. Apologies if the link doesn't work - I haven't tried including one before!

EIS not offering shipping to UK - The eBay Community

Message 9 of 44
See Most Recent

@hanona96 wrote:

Hello 

I am typing this message with tears rolling down my eyes, I’m heavily pregnant was rushed to hospital late last night because of how much stress this has caused me. This is caused my family so much stress in a time today we’re finically everything is uncertain I think for eBay to have this process in place is unlawful and unethical. I can’t stress how much I wish I just listened to my family with their experience on eBay it I honestly thought this was the better platform so went with it and looks where I am today. I sell luxurious watches on your site, I take my time in sourcing them and ensure all are sold with documents to prove the authenticity. Bearing in mind to sell anything on eBay it has to be authenticated by your team, a watch I sold had been approved and sent to the buyer early last month. I then listed another watch, I think you had a few queries on the legitimacy of this watch so restricted my account. I sent all the documents that you requested to show proof of merchandise which was the receipt. On this basis you indefinitely suspended my account. To even get an explanation I spent the entire day yesterday talking to 5-7 agents on the phone in the chat till I finally spoke to someone that had remorse for my situation. She transferred me to the supervisor Ana who was lovely and actually listened to me. She understood why I was upset, and confirmed why my account was suspended. 

This is my issue. For you to even say to a user we will pay the money when we want to pay the money is unacceptable. You have suspended an account which implies you’ve concluded your investigation because really part of deciding whether an account should be suspended which is the harshest punishment you have for your buyers - surely you would carry out all necessary checks/ investigations. So why now should a customer wait 7 months for their money?

I don't just need this money I need it badly. I have already waited weeks for it, you sent this item to the buyer it went through your authentication process. You know this has been delivered as you adde dthe tracking information. Why should you now keep the money and not even know when this money will be released. What addens me when I investigated more, I noticed I am not alone. Some people have waiting 2 years plus for thousands of their own money. I am confident there has been an error in the documents I sent and how they were reviewed. 

I can not spend another night in the hospital. I just want someone to listen to me and helo me. I have had advisors hang up the phone on me when I was having a panick attack, the treatment I have recieved yesterday is inhumane. 

Please can somebody just help me. I am begging at this stage I've posted my reviews everywhere. Called countless times, spent hours on your webchat, emails, social media everything. I have no idea what to do I can't just sit and wait for years for my money. If I don't get this money I could lose my property. It's serious. 

Hi hanona96, thanks for your post.

We are very sorry to hear about this, but after checking this account I can see that this is a buying only account and I see no suspension or recent sales. Is it possible that you are referring to a different account? If so, please let us know. Also, I can see that our customer service team has tried reaching out to you, but they couldn't get through. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 44
See Most Recent

Hi marco@ebay

Thanks for looking into my tracking not automatically updating from my RM click and drop account. 

I have done as you suggested, clearing cache etc and using chrome, but it is still not working

The tracking updates on some items once they have been delivered - but shows the delivery date as the day tracking was uploaded.

Message 11 of 44
See Most Recent

@darth_baggins wrote:

Given that Royal Mail have been found to be failing miserably on their delivery targets, so bad that they were fined £5.6M this week, will eBay will be adjusting their 'dynamic' delivery estimates which are clearly based on false information from Royal Mail?

And will they be offering sellers protection against late marks and INRs for issues that are 100% out of their control?

Hi @darth_baggins,

An aspect taken into consideration for dynamic estimated delivery dates is courier performance. This would fall into that category.

If I receive any further information about this situation specifically we will let you know.

Thanks,

Katie 

eBay
Message 12 of 44
See Most Recent

Thanks, Marco - so, it's safe for me to relink and it shouldn't disturb my existing (but invisible, due to this issue) record of purchases that should have, but haven't, earned Nectar points? I'm nervous about wrecking chances of fixing it (or heaven forbid, making it even worse by fiddling before I hear back!).

Message 13 of 44
See Most Recent

eBay know this user is dishonest, as they've (finally) cancelled the users sales listings.  So my question here  is, why do eBay think its ok to allow this user to continue buying and claiming non receipt from innocent sellers?

This is one of the reasons myself and many other sellers only use ebay to sell items we can afford to be scammed on, our high value items are sold via safer platforms that make a better effort to protect sellers from obviously dishonest users.

scammer.jpg

---
Experience is something we gain, just after we needed it
Message 14 of 44
See Most Recent

I am referring to another account - as you suspended the account I can't post anything there so my girlfriend is posting this on my behalf. The acocunt is - eliteti0 

The above username is the business account I use that you have suspended indefintely and are holding my 7k funds refusing to give it to me. I can't spend another day in the hospital I need someone to actually look into this for me, I need my money. The sale was legit you sent and approved it - I honestly have no idea what you are still investigating. The buyer even sent a message thanking me for the item - it seems that eBay is just holding this money for their own benefit. 

eBay called me and I called them back, after we spoke the lady hung up  the phone on me during my panic attack. I am sure conversations are recorded so you will be able to hear for yourself.

Message 15 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

The unintended absence of the UK in the shipped-to countries for US sellers glitch continues...

The week before last in the Community Chat hour, I reported an issue that has become increasingly widespread where UK buyers are unable to bid, make offers or do Buy It Nows on listings by US sellers in certain categories (e.g. anything in the Dolls & Bears category and its sub-categories, and similarly for Toys & Games, but it seems other categories are affected too). This affects other buyers that I’ve checked with, using various different platforms (any Windows-based browsers, but also Android, iPhones etc.), and is reported by lots of US sellers too, once they have noticed it (often they don’t know until a frustrated UK buyer contacts them). Most eBay representatives (including the response to my query) seem to assume the cause is simply that the sellers have not included the UK in the list of countries they ship to (or have accidentally included it in the list of countries they DON’T ship to), but that is not the case. Many of the affected sellers are very experienced with a long history of shipping to the UK, and the issue suddenly affects their new listings even though they’ve changed nothing in their previously-working listing technique, and it will also instantly affect their previously-unaffected listings once those automatically renew for another term if they have not yet sold. Every attempt they make to add the UK to the countries they ship to ends in failure, as a symptom of the glitch is that the UK is not available in any of the country listings from which they can select, and there appears to be no other means of adding it, either.

Whilst there are various clunky workarounds (relisting under a different category, adding UK buyers to exemption lists and so on, or not using eBay International Shipping in listings – it does mostly seem to affect sellers who are enrolled in EIS as far as I can see – these often require individual correspondence between a UK buyer and the US seller, and are not really a satisfactory workaround for auction listings in particular.

So I’d like to point out that this is still happening. It might be relevant for me to point out this thread on the US Community, which at one point refers to my original query, which a US poster had spotted – I discovered this only the other day! If nothing else, I think it proves that it is troubling US sellers and gives more detail and insight to their side of things. Apologies if the link doesn't work - I haven't tried including one before!

EIS not offering shipping to UK - The eBay Community

Hi contessa35, thanks for your post.

We sent this for review to our technical issue, and there were no technical issues found. Also, we examinated the examples you shared with us, and we weren't able to replicate the issue, so again we didn't find any technical issues. So, this is working is a designed. If any sellers have any issues, encourage them to contact us and report it.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 44
See Most Recent

@simas-stuff wrote:

With the news that Ofcom has fined Royal Mail £5.6m for failing to meet its First and Second Class delivery targets in the 2022/23 financial year, will ebay stand by its famous 'working as designed' mantra in regards to the farcical EDDs? 
Reports that some areas are getting fortnightly deliveries are not uncommon but it still appears that those at ebay towers still have their heads in the sand in regards to delivery times.

Please advise!

Hi @simas-stuff, thanks for your post.

Estimated delivery dates are taking into consideration various factors, including carrier performance, so that would already been included in the calculation of estimated delivery date.

Thanks,

Anita

Message 17 of 44
See Most Recent

@louisianna wrote:

Hi marco@ebay

Thanks for looking into my tracking not automatically updating from my RM click and drop account. 

I have done as you suggested, clearing cache etc and using chrome, but it is still not working

The tracking updates on some items once they have been delivered - but shows the delivery date as the day tracking was uploaded.

Thanks for your post, louisianna.

Could you please send me a DM with the tracking number, item number, and order number please? I will escalate that for you no problem.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 18 of 44
See Most Recent

But obviously RM have been misleading you with their performance rates. We have been saying this since before the strikes at RM. Give me an address where I can send you mail, I will get proof of postings and lets see how quickly they arrive. Just a little test to show you that RM and ebays EDDs are useless.

Message 19 of 44
See Most Recent

With reference to the delivery times being correct and there not being any issues, please see attached a screenshot on half of my late deliveries in the last 2 weeks.  

There are as many again in my late delivery report.

Message 20 of 44
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.