Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 01.11.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay, katie@ebay and anita@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Hello. Is eBay aware (I assume so) of the issue for buyers in the UK where US-based sellers who ship to the UK (often using eBay International Shipping) are now widely affected by a glitch that prevents any shipping to the UK? I first saw it about 2 months ago, on occasional new listings that corrected themselves shortly after going live, but now it permanently affects nearly all new listings, plus any that were previously OK once they renew for a further term or have any editing applied to them.

It seems to be category-specific – the categories Dolls & Bears and Toys & Hobbies are seriously affected, but maybe other areas are too.

When it happens, all shipping to UK prices disappear and on contacting the sellers, they cannot correct it as the UK now doesn’t appear in their list of countries to ship to, but also isn’t in the excluded countries (or anywhere else) either. Many aren’t even aware of the issue until then, as they hadn’t caused it (even experienced power sellers). When sellers are unaware, UK buyers can’t bid, buy or make offers. A couple of sellers said they’ve been told by eBay to add UK buyers to an exemption list – this seems to work, but on the first try for one I’ve bought from, it removed eBay International Shipping, which wasn’t ideal for either of us.

Is there any news on fixing this? Thanks!

Message 2 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

Hello. Is eBay aware (I assume so) of the issue for buyers in the UK where US-based sellers who ship to the UK (often using eBay International Shipping) are now widely affected by a glitch that prevents any shipping to the UK? I first saw it about 2 months ago, on occasional new listings that corrected themselves shortly after going live, but now it permanently affects nearly all new listings, plus any that were previously OK once they renew for a further term or have any editing applied to them.

It seems to be category-specific – the categories Dolls & Bears and Toys & Hobbies are seriously affected, but maybe other areas are too.

When it happens, all shipping to UK prices disappear and on contacting the sellers, they cannot correct it as the UK now doesn’t appear in their list of countries to ship to, but also isn’t in the excluded countries (or anywhere else) either. Many aren’t even aware of the issue until then, as they hadn’t caused it (even experienced power sellers). When sellers are unaware, UK buyers can’t bid, buy or make offers. A couple of sellers said they’ve been told by eBay to add UK buyers to an exemption list – this seems to work, but on the first try for one I’ve bought from, it removed eBay International Shipping, which wasn’t ideal for either of us.

Is there any news on fixing this? Thanks!

Hi contessa35, thanks for your post.

What is the issue you are referring to exactly? As in the seller in the US is unable to ship to the UK using GSP? If so, could you please confirm an item number, so we can review that for you?

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 3 of 44
See Most Recent

What's going on with feedback? Why is it not showing feedback left for others? Why is it showing seemingly random order and not the most recent?

Is this a glitch or a deliberate change?

Discussed here https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Feedback-rearranged/m-p/7504810#M302970

Side point - why IS eBay so full of glitches? Do you need to hire more competent programmers?

Message 4 of 44
See Most Recent

It's really widespread now - US sellers now have the new eBay International Shipping program which has replaced the Global Shipping Program for them. I don't know if it affects sellers who use other methods of international shipping. I've checked with several US sellers who are affected (but there are many more) and all are either aware of it, or see it after it's pointed out, and other UK buyers like me see it too. I'll dig up an affected listing for you - bear with me, please!

Message 5 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

It's really widespread now - US sellers now have the new eBay International Shipping program which has replaced the Global Shipping Program for them. I don't know if it affects sellers who use other methods of international shipping. I've checked with several US sellers who are affected (but there are many more) and all are either aware of it, or see it after it's pointed out, and other UK buyers like me see it too. I'll dig up an affected listing for you - bear with me, please!

Thanks for your reply, contessa35.

Thanks for flagging that with us, we are happy to send this for review, so if you confirm an item number, we will look into it.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 44
See Most Recent

Here's an affected item as an example:

Its seller was aware of the problem and unable to fix it themselves. They are a very experienced power seller.

Message 7 of 44
See Most Recent

@darth_baggins wrote:

What's going on with feedback? Why is it not showing feedback left for others? Why is it showing seemingly random order and not the most recent?

Is this a glitch or a deliberate change?

Discussed here https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Feedback-rearranged/m-p/7504810#M302970

Side point - why IS eBay so full of glitches? Do you need to hire more competent programmers?

@darth_baggins, thanks for your post.

We have a known issue in relation to feedback not reflecting on the feedback profile and our tech team is working on the fix. As for the feedback replies, thanks for flagging it, our teams are aware of it and looking into it.

Thanks,

Anita

Message 8 of 44
See Most Recent

Hi,

please can I put forward the suggestion that buyers are required to make contact with the seller and a small window of time allowed for a response, before they can leave negative feedback.

I've received 2 negatives in the last 2 weeks due to Royal Mail delivering late or not delivering at all.  In neither case has the buyer 1. let me know and 2. given me the chance to put things right. The first one (non arrival) was most apologetic and more than happy to revise when I contacted them. The other one only happened today and I havent heard back. 

If contact is required before leaving a negative then most sellers would work to put things right - then its up to the customer if they still want to leave a negative.

Message 9 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

Here's an affected item as an example:

Its seller was aware of the problem and unable to fix it themselves. They are a very experienced power seller.

Thanks for that, contessa35.

I will send that for review now, and I will post back here with an update once I get one.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 44
See Most Recent

I have global shipping enabled on all my listings, if I view my shop on ebay.co.uk I have 522 items, if I view it from ebay.com I have 32 items.

Could you please explain why this is

Message 11 of 44
See Most Recent

@louisianna wrote:

Hi,

please can I put forward the suggestion that buyers are required to make contact with the seller and a small window of time allowed for a response, before they can leave negative feedback.

I've received 2 negatives in the last 2 weeks due to Royal Mail delivering late or not delivering at all.  In neither case has the buyer 1. let me know and 2. given me the chance to put things right. The first one (non arrival) was most apologetic and more than happy to revise when I contacted them. The other one only happened today and I havent heard back. 

If contact is required before leaving a negative then most sellers would work to put things right - then its up to the customer if they still want to leave a negative.

Hi @louisianna, thanks for your post.

We always welcome suggestions, and I will make sure to pass it on to the relevant teams, so it can be taken into consideration for future updates.

Having said that, we do have a pop message recommending buyers to reach out to the seller first before leaving the feedback. If you feel that feedback may be violating our policies, you're also welcome to send a feedback appeal for a review and if it falls under any removal reasons, it will be removed.

Thanks,

Anita

Message 12 of 44
See Most Recent

I seem to have lost top rated seller status on some listings, this in turn means I lose the badge and the discounts. I have lost this due to eBay forcing the charge on postage for all customers, we were told this would have no negative effects on sellers but it not only have a reputational effect it also has an economical effect. Any reason why this has happened as its not me charging the money but eBay, I'd still be happy to offer free postage.

This is due to the new postage method on all items going to authentication centre.

Regards

Message 13 of 44
See Most Recent

Thanks very much, Marco. I actually watched this one go wrong live, as it auto-renewed for a new term - it was fine before. This particular one is not an item I'm trying to buy, but I have spoken to the seller about another of their items. The only solution they thought they could use themselves at the time was to try to relist an affected item in a different, unaffected category. 

Most sellers I've discussed this with have contacted eBay's general help agents many times, and have received encouraging responses, but the agents tend to assume it's an individual error by the seller or some technical issue affecting just them, or else the buyer. But actually, it's massively widespread now in the categories I look at - it's hard to find any eBay International Shipping to the UK - most say "Shipping not specified" now, and other UK buyers see it too.

Message 14 of 44
See Most Recent

@welshdragon-antiques wrote:

I have global shipping enabled on all my listings, if I view my shop on ebay.co.uk I have 522 items, if I view it from ebay.com I have 32 items.

Could you please explain why this is

Hi welshdragon-antiques, thanks for your post.

There are a number of things that could be happening here, based on the type of items you sell, some of the items might not be eligible to be sent abroad as they might be customs restricted. If you wish, we can send this for review to make sure everything is ok.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 15 of 44
See Most Recent

@contessa35 wrote:

Thanks very much, Marco. I actually watched this one go wrong live, as it auto-renewed for a new term - it was fine before. This particular one is not an item I'm trying to buy, but I have spoken to the seller about another of their items. The only solution they thought they could use themselves at the time was to try to relist an affected item in a different, unaffected category. 

Most sellers I've discussed this with have contacted eBay's general help agents many times, and have received encouraging responses, but the agents tend to assume it's an individual error by the seller or some technical issue affecting just them, or else the buyer. But actually, it's massively widespread now in the categories I look at - it's hard to find any eBay International Shipping to the UK - most say "Shipping not specified" now, and other UK buyers see it too.

Thanks for your reply, contessa35.

No problem at all, happy to help. I will update you here as soon as I get an update on this.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 44
See Most Recent

Thank you Anita, 

I would appreciate it if you would forward it.  

I know I can appeal, but its highly unlikely to be removed because its the buyers 'opinion'.

But I do think that some buyers presume most sellers are bad or dont offer good customer service, 

Thanks again

Message 17 of 44
See Most Recent

Good afternoon

Will ebay  please please please acknowlege there is an issue with estimated delivery dates you are showing to buyers.

My ebay shop was put on holiday  (TIME AWAY) 30th up to and including 31st October 2023.

A buyer brought something on 30th in the afternoon and the buyer would of seen the banner at the top of the page etc.

I have returned today and sent the parcel off 1st November , the courier collects mid morning, only for the estimated delivery to be 2nd November.  The buyer HAS NOT paid for next day delivery and there is no way it will be delivered to them on the 2nd November which ebay tracking states. It is a free, 3 day delivery service. Furthermore the shop was on holiday.

I spoke to ebay today, and they say there is nothing wrong and despite me having the shop on ebay holiday the delivery date is correct?  How does ebay work that one out, when the shop has been put on holiday by the seller but the delivery dates are not correct.

The estimated delivery dates are now becoming a nightmare on here, there are posts about this, but this situation has really put the nail in the coffin.

Please do not give me the explanation of we calculate it on  your seller performance, I have heard all of that, and for the life of me still cannot get my head around your reasoning.  Can we not base it on realtime postage delivery times, I would of thought that was the best way to base it on?

In a nutshell, If we do well on performance , then you give us even shorter time scales to get the parcels out, with un realistic delivery dates, then the buyer is upset and makes a case, then you refuse to back the seller.

Thank you 

Message 18 of 44
See Most Recent

Recently had a return opened for a duvet and then closed straight away. Upon checking the return the reason for the return was due to handle falling off the grill pan. Return ID 5247168428 

It has been mentioned on here in the past that if a buyer closes a return it won't affect a sellers service metrics. Yet when checking the latest service metrics it is showing as indicated in rate calculation. 

Another return buyer opens return claming not as described when the reason exactly matches how the item was listed. Point this out to the buyer who admits did not read the listing and pays to send the item back. Refunded the buyer and reported them in the hope ebay might take the defect off the service metric calculation but again punished when done nothing wrong. 

I spoke to two agents last week who assured me they would be taken off but as of yet both are still on the spreadsheet when I download it. Will these be removed at any point? 

Also when are ebay going to come up with a fair system that does not punish sellers when they have done absoloutly nothing wrong and not have to waste time and effort tying to get them removed. 

Message 19 of 44
See Most Recent

Hi Marco

Thanks for your response, my items are mainly pottery & glass and therefore not customs restricted. If you could have a look I would be grateful

Message 20 of 44
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.