business owner selling privately, is it allowed?

I bought a computer from a fella and it was faulty, he is a private seller and therefore does not have to accept returns.

I have found through the companies house website he is the current director of 3 businesses.

My question is can a person who owns 3 active businesses sell privately on ebay.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

His businesses may be unrelated to his sale on ebay. but if the item is faulty all sellers have to accept the return, as long as it's still within 30 days of delivery.    Click on "Return this item" on right of your order on your Purchases page and select "Doesn't match description" as the reason.    Escalate it to ebay after 3 complete working days.   

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Private sellers have to accept returns for not as described items. It's only change of mind returns that they do not have to accept.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Just to add, given you appear to be very new to Ebay or this is just a new account, open a return and ask for a return label. it may issue it automatically, but if it doesn`t, the seller has a few days to provide it, if they don`t, when the option appears, `Ask us to step in and help`, click it and Ebay may provide the label and charge the seller for it. Once returned, the seller will have 3 days to refund and again, if they don`t, ask ebay to step in again. If the seller tries to refuse delivery or ignores the door, don`t panic, because `attempted` deliver is enough to win.

DO NOT close the case/return untill you are refunded, especially if the seller asks you to do so by giving promises or claiming they can`t refund till you close the case, because it`s rubbish.

As advised, remember for the future that nobody can refuse a return for not as described within 30 days of delivery, private sellers can refuse for change of mind and doesn`t fit, but that`s all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on or need further advice 🙂

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I am a director of two companies, my private eBay sales are my own personal possessions.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

As per usual it did say untested and  no returns but as far as I understand with respect to the English language that untested does not mean doesn't work.

Thanks 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

I did mention that 10 of the games on cassette tape were copies and he said he got what he sold me from someone else, if it was bought to resale then this I believe can not be done privately.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

You received a faulty item,  you received copies of cassette tapes, this is a case for item not as described,  follow the guidance above open a case for this and do not close it for any reason, excuse or plea from the seller and do not forget to escalate.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

I did open a case 4 to 5 days ago, ebay got back this morning and said they will get back to me in 48 hours

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

When sellers says "untested" it's a red flag. They should check if it works and sell it as working or as not working depending on whether it does.

"No returns" on Ebay just means no returns for changing your mind etc. If it's not as described when it arrives, you have the right to return it.

"got it from someone else" doesn't necessarily mean that he bought it with the intention to sell, but you're right that if he did then he should register as a business. That's between him and Ebay, though. It doesn't affect your right to return a faulty item.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Private sellers have to accept returns where the item is faulty or not as described

Click the "ask eBay to step in" option 3 days after you opened the case if the seller has not sent you a pre-paid label to return the items by this time

EBay will then issue you with a return label, then you post the items back, and when the tracking shows the item is delivered/attempted delivery/refused delivery, the eBay system will automatically refund you 

Sellers cannot refuse to accept returns where items are not as described, and don't let any sellers fool you! 

The only returns private sellers can refuse are refusals simply because the buyer changed their mind. They are forced to accept all other returns and cannot refuse to refund you in full, as eBay have automated the refunds to be made as soon as delivery back to seller has occurred. 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Problem is, stateing that untested doesn't mean it doesn't work, also doesn't mean it does, so you leave yourself open to the situation you have. Always a good idea to check stuff befofe you sell, where possible. The idea is not to give buyers anything to complain about in the first place, but there will always be the odd few that will take advantage.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: