What does every on think about "EBAY" requiring You To Up Load Photo I.D ?

What do you all think about EBAY requiring every body to up load Photo I.D ??  No other instatution seems to need it?  But, they are insisting on YOUR PHOTO I.D with all your other details ! Giving any one the nessasery to Steel your I.D ! Start getting credit cards 1 Loans ! and who knows what else !  Bank does'nt need it ! Credit card does'nt need it !  "NO ONE NEEDS IT"   O but we will keep it safe !  lol  The govenments, Banks, Massive instatutions Cant !!  But little old ebay, Yeah, we will !!   Not Content with ripping us off with fee's on the cost of our postage ! (A cost ! Not Money you might make! ) They now want every bit of you ! For what ???  Sell on to 3rd partys?  for even MORE money ??  This is the next post office right here !!

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

It's a legal requirement to prevent money laundering and is a requirement imposed on businesses by our government. 

If you don't upload it eBay will hold your funds until you do, indefinitely in many cases

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

A legal requirement maybe but a Justice requirement?  Why on earth do you need a mobile phone - hardly inclusive, but of course having to have a mobile is more personal expenditure = more vat/tax take by the government etc...
More personal data gathering.
What on earth can a internet service, whom you will never meet in person actually gain from such, until all of out biometric data is on line and will be subject to missuse/loss/profiled/ 'lost', 'leaked' hacked etc. Might as well have a chip inserted at birth or not a 'citizen' to be controlled and monitored to death.

All that should be needed is a validated bank account, just becaus you can (government) doesn't mean you should. Ditto for minions that just slavishly follow the *bleep* handed out?

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Unfortunately there is a lot of "bleep" as you put it now to conform with the Law.

Another example.....apply for a job and there is a lot that is required to make sure one has a right to work/live in this country.    Do not comply with it once you have been offered the job/or started work and the employer will refuse you.

This is just the way it is whether you agree with it or not.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

The information is required by the government under the following legislation; 

AML regulations are outlined in the Terrorism Act (2000), Proceeds of Crime Act (2002), and Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds Regulations (2017). 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

You will be pleased to learn that eBay sellers do have plenty of tin foil listed for sale

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

As I said ' just because you can (government) doesn't mean you should'

If were that bothered about terroism and dammage to a nation or its people we could do with a justice system that prevent the like of Truss doing what was done to the nation shouldn't we - anyway this has digressed.

What do I think: regardles of why it has come about its rather nuts and another load of bureaucratic /plutocratic (or wana bes') BS Such alleged nimby protection is trying to tackle a symptom and not the problem and corralling the masses, not the culprits.
Woudl be better if there was an national ID card... :-}

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Its to reduce the number of scammers on ebay too.

I spotted a usb oscilloscope on ebay for £12.99

Real price was at least £50.

So I told ebay but got ignored.

They went on to sell 211 items before negs started rolling in for INR.

Ebay pulled it after about 15 negs.

Seller is long gone with the money so ebay has to stump up the refunds.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: