Return seems to have gone missing

Hi! I purchased an item off eBay a week ago. It arrived but was defective; I messaged the seller (a private seller), and sent photos of the issue, and they said I could return it. They then generated a return through eBay which gave me a QR code to take to the post office. I boxed up the item, and took it to the post office on Thursday, they scanned it and took it in.

The tracking number states it's a Royal Mail Tracked Returns 48 service; but the last entry on the tracking is on Friday  to say it's been received at the Midlands Super Hub. It's now six days later and the tracking hasn't updated. I messaged the seller and they said they haven't received it. I spent 30 minutes on the phone to get through to Royal Mail who said I'd have to wait until 29 before they can investigate a possible loss.

Who is actually responsible here and will I still get my refund? I did exactly as I was supposed to, so it seems monumentally unfair that I may lose my £250 refund because of Royal Mail.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glad to help.

Just keep an eye on the "return details" for updates as there is a timer running... any concerns just use the link in my previous post to raise them direct with eBay. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

It will come down to the tracking, and as you can show that you used the correct label and it has entered the system you will receive a refund. It'll be between eBay and RM to sort out losses. I wouldn't worry as RM are once again experiencing delays in deliveries and updating tracking data... just keep an eye on the progress. Don't bother phoning RM but have eBay call you on the 30th if the parcel has still not arrived.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Aaah thank you! I've been reading through all the customer information but just couldn't find a clear answer. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Glad to help.

Just keep an eye on the "return details" for updates as there is a timer running... any concerns just use the link in my previous post to raise them direct with eBay. 

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you, will do!

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: