Purchases arrivng via Amazon

A couple of times now I have bought stuff on ebay and it has arrived from Amazon. It's obvious that the sellers are placing the ad on ebay, when a purchase is made they buy from Geoff, use buyers address for the delivery and trouser the difference. The problem I have with this is that I conciously avoid using Amazon for all sorts of reasons which is why I am buying on ebay. I've been giving sellers that undermine my principle neutral feedback because I really can't see what else I could do. Discuss.

Message 1 of 121
See Most Recent
120 REPLIES 120

sadly I am not sure ebay care, as these sellers will be very good
customers for ebay,

The seller I encountered has now sold 227K items!! and their registered
address was a building in london with, I seem to remember over a thousand
other business names!!
I just wish 'gifts' from Amazon could be easily seen on a person's
feedback!! .I now often read ALL the feedback before deciding to buy
anything, and NEVER look at just the few ebay choose to show as a
snapshot, and it really shouldn't be that hard.

I hope they act on your complaint.
Best wishes
Message 81 of 121
See Most Recent

All of which is totally legitimate. If customers don't like it that's a separate issue. The seller is doing nothing wrong. All businesses have registered offices (which may not be their trading premises) and supply chains that their customers may or may not approve of. 
If customers want the prices and convenience of eBay, they need to accept what comes with it. 

Message 82 of 121
See Most Recent

It is legitimate ,,, however not if it's sent as a gift and a note explaining that , then legally as this item you recieved is a gift the item you paid for has not arrived . ! 

Message 83 of 121
See Most Recent

Nice point!

Liz
Message 84 of 121
See Most Recent

If you receive an item from Amazon with a note inside stating that it's a gift , the item you brought from eBay and payed for hasn't arrived 😉

Message 85 of 121
See Most Recent

I didn't like that my item came from Amazon (even though I do order from Amazon) but I can live with that. My major issue is the "gift" note with a random person's name. I couldn't find anything linking the item with the seller. The least they could have done was to include their shop name or something. 

So, I contacted Amazon (the response was that I should keep it), I contacted the seller (they requested my shipping address), and while waiting for the seller to get back to me, I contacted eBay. eBay messaged the seller and I got a confirmation today that the gift was the purchase!

I understand that drop shipping is legal, but if a person bought and paid for an item, then it should be illegal for the seller to send that same item and claim that it is a gift.

Message 86 of 121
See Most Recent

So I looked into this a spoke to a solicitor, 

the item you recieved was a gift the fact that you ordered the same thing recently  should be taken as a separate transaction . As 1 was a purchase and the other a gift .

therefore you recieved a gift , the item you ordered and paid for created a transaction between you and the seller , where a gift arrives there's no transaction between you and the gifted , so by that definition the item you ordered hasn't arrived or been received . 
There's also a problem when you need to return the item as the seller will request you send it to an address not being the same address as the eBay return process.. 

Message 87 of 121
See Most Recent

It was sent as a gift because the seller is using an Amazon Prime account to get free shipping and hide that from Amazon.  It's an abuse of Prime and ebay rules as he clearly only bought the item when you ordered it.

If he charged you for shipping, that's also money in his pocket.

Message 88 of 121
See Most Recent

You need to find a better solicitor!

Message 89 of 121
See Most Recent

No , ordered several items now and never received got full refund every time and didn't need to reorder as someone sent it me as a gift 🤪

Message 90 of 121
See Most Recent

That is an interesting take! I will contact eBay to find out their position on "gift" delivery.

Message 91 of 121
See Most Recent

If they, for the sake of argument, think what they are doing is right, they should 1) ask the buyer if it's acceptable to receive the bought item as a gift and 2) Include their eBay shop name on the gift note instead of enjoy your gift from "Spiton Face". 

Message 92 of 121
See Most Recent

EBay policy does not allow gifting from Amazon
This is what website states -
“listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.”
Sellers who send “gifts” from .Amazon must be doing this for it to be delivered the way it is.
Message 93 of 121
See Most Recent

You are right. I contacted eBay with "So I am interested in knowing if what sellers are doing, sending "gift" to buyers after buyers paid for items is legal" and the agent responded, "We do not just let sellers do business like this as sellers need to have the item when they listed it and send it to you with their name and return address...".

It's not a good idea for them to be sending people gifts unless it is a gift.

Message 94 of 121
See Most Recent

yet Ebay do let sellers do this!          and do nothing about it!

The seller I bought from is still  described by ebay in these terms, 

""eBay Top-rated seller:
  • One of eBay's most reputable sellers.
  • Consistently delivers outstanding customer service.""

The abbreviated feedback, now shown on ebay gives the seller  5 stars in everything!!!        It is only when you  ''see all feedback''   that you can see that some   buyers have given neutral and negative feedback as a result of their experiences.

I now always ''SEE ALL FEEDBACK''  before buying anything  as i don't want the same experience again.  

As for a return address - I later discovered that the seller I bought from listed  a" Virtual Office" in London -  ( according to Companies house there are 3576 companies at this address). 

I didn't return the item,  but I can imagine it may have been 'fun' trying.  

Message 95 of 121
See Most Recent

It doesn't look good. This is my first experience with the gift stuff. I should be checking feedbacks more. Maybe not all feedbacks! 😀

I wonder if it happens infrequently enough for eBay to ignore it, or if people are not reporting/demanding refunds a lot to force both eBay and sellers to stop it. 🤔

Message 96 of 121
See Most Recent

Why would you want to spend more on ebay when you can get it cheaper on Amazon ?

Never heard of shopping around ?

Amazon is just the same as ebay, both big and small sellers.

Message 97 of 121
See Most Recent

I've had that once recently, apparently AWS (Amazon Web Services) hold stock and do the logistics now for some small traders who want to offer a wide range of items but would not be able to hold such a range of items themselves. Seller when questioned, indicated that ebay would be doing something similar soon, then they would migrate across.

Message 98 of 121
See Most Recent

This has happened to me a couple of times, super annoying personally because I do have access to a Prime account, so could order from Amazon if I wanted them to have my money, which obviously I don't. 

Also, everytime it's happened the shipping method that's listed has never been Amazon.

I don't like this at all, the lack of transparency is not on, imo.

I message the seller and, if no response, report the item because dropshipping from Amazon to Ebay using a prime account is against the policy of both organisations.

Message 99 of 121
See Most Recent

I agree with you as I try to avoid Amazon too. 
and today I've received the wrong item from Amazon to fulfill an order of two items I bought on eBay. What a mess. 

Message 100 of 121
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: