Placeholder/dummy/"coming soon" listings...

I frequently view categories by "Newly listed" and these placeholders/dummies are becoming quite an annoyance! you can often find yourself scrolling for pages and pages to get past them all.

Some are also using keyword spam to break search results, they will fill in a few details for the placeholders that include popular search terms.

I know they're against the rules but there are so many, are eBay really not doing anything about these?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

It's mostly due to eBay giving out the fee promo to private account business sellers who want to use the max listings (100) but don't have time to list 100 items in 3 days. 

Absolutely it's not allowed and against the terms but even when reported, eBay do nothing. It does affect the platform for both buyers and sellers but eBay have never once removed any dummy listings. 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

I frequently view categories by "Newly listed" and these placeholders/dummies are becoming quite an annoyance!

One of the drawbacks of browsing categories by "Newly listed" is that you see a lot of "unfinished" listings that the sellers intend to add to later.

Some are also using keyword spam to break search results, they will fill in a few details for the placeholders that include popular search terms.

Keyword spammers tend to be lazy and often reuse the same keyword lists. If you can find one word that is unrelated to your search and exclude it, you can avoid anyone using that same keyword list. Keyword spammers also tend to list in the wrong category and omit important item-specifics. That can also be used to your advantage to filter out those sellers. The worst offenders in any category can be excluded directly by name, and also can be reported to eBay.

The more targeted your searches, the less likely you are to run into these problems.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: