I want to pay a seller in cash when I pick up but Ebay has automatically charged my PayPal account

I made an offer on an item, which the buyer accepted. Ebay automatically charged my PayPal account but I want to pay seller in cash when I pick up, as that's what they say they'd prefer. How do I pay the seller cash but get my paypal money back before I hand over the cash?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

I want to pay a seller in cash when I pick up but Ebay has automatically charged my PayPal account

papso22
Experienced Mentor

The seller has made this a problem by having immediate payment required for offers.

The only solution is for the seller to cancel this transaction and relist without immediate payment required and with cash on collection as a payment option.

There is nothing you can do, the seller would have to do it.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you. When I click 'Cancel this order' it returns the message: 

'It's too late to cancel this order. Please contact the seller to see if you can work something out.'

Do I have to request the seller cancels the order?

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Yes you have to ask the seller,  they don't have to agree and might expect you to arrange collection now you have paid.

You need to explain your position to the seller, not just ask to cancel.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Unfortunately eBay have tried to "improve" the Best Offer option, the end result being that people can no longer choose which payment method they wish to use, receive combined postage if they're buying more than one item from the same seller, use Click & Collect, etc... the list goes on.  In a nutshell eBay have screwed this feature over big time, so at present the best options is to ask the seller whether he/she has the immediate payment option activated for his/her items, or whether he/she will accept payment via an alternative means, such as cash on collection.  The only other alternative is to completely ignore the Best Offer function, as eBay have ruined everything about it that used to make it such an attractive feature to use.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: