How long do I have until I can appeal for a refund on this item?

The most expensive thing i brought was on the 6th of jan and the item still hasnt been shipped. the seller told me he is sewing the jacket from scratch and will take an unestimated amount of time to complete. so it isnt shipped. but it still says 'Est. delivery Thu 18 Jan - Wed 21 Feb' despite it not being shipped.

Well he is still working on it and doesnt know when it will be done as he is busy with many other orders. 

How long until I need to ask for a refund? I am thinking on the 11th of March I will request a refund. Will I still be able to then? Thank you!

Message 1 of 50
See Most Recent
49 REPLIES 49

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Since it is already later than eBay's latest delivery estimate you could, and I think should,  open a case now.  You don't have to escalate it right away, but you must do so within 21 days to avoid it closing automatically. 

Message 2 of 50
See Most Recent

If the last estimated date for delivery was the 21st February open a case for item not received now.

Go right of the item purchased,  and from More Actions select....  I Have Not Received My Item.

If you are not fully refunded within 3 days,  you can escalate the case on day 4 or within 21 days from opening the case,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

Is this item coming from China by chance?  Then,  you will receive all sorts of pleas, and excuses to close the case, do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

Message 3 of 50
See Most Recent

On the 17th of Feb he said he is still working on it and the fabrics he ordered in to sew hasnt arrived yet. I haven't messaged him since because I don't want to be impaitent to him. 

Do you know how long I have left until I can put in the item not recieved case? I feel like if I do it now he will be mad at me being impaitent but if I wait too long it will be too late.

So I was going to do it on the 11th of March. Is that too far away for me to not open a case? TY

Oh it is US to UK

Message 4 of 50
See Most Recent

thank you, what is the best approach to do this without me coming across as impaitent, because on the feb 17th he said the fabrics arent there yet that he ordered for sewing. how long until I can open a case. I feel if I do it now he will be mad and not do this for me anymore. He already not happy about using ebay to begin with as he said he prefers paypal and I begged him to list it here. I am super worried this will be the final nail and he will back out of the project if I try to rush the case.

Message 5 of 50
See Most Recent

Do not time yourself out here,  or you could lose your money  and your item.

You have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to open a case for item not received.

Message the seller that you will have to do this, it might spur them on a bit,  to finish your item before the others he is making.

By my calculations you have less than 3 weeks to open this case,  so no harm opening it now and then escalating within those 21 days.

Do Not allow them to promise the item After this time,  promises can be broken, and money lost.

@cantosprofanae 

Message 6 of 50
See Most Recent

Thank you, should I mark my calendar for the 5th of march then and do it then?

Because last time I tried to open a case the seller had their funds on hold and they got really angry thinking I planned it all long to stop them from getting their money. 

5th of March should I do it?

The person is the only person I know who can make this item, so I do not want to anger them, that's all.

thank you.

Message 7 of 50
See Most Recent

Why do you think 5th March is the date to start a not received case?

You said your last estimated delivery date was 21st February so you have 30 days from that date to start a case.

That means you have until the about the 20th March to start your case.

But personally I wouldn't wait that long.

If it goes wrong and you paid by PayPal you will have up to 180 days from when you paid to open a not received case in their resolution centre.

Message 8 of 50
See Most Recent

Thank you, I only paid with Ebay normal payment option, I think it is like klarna or something, just with my debit card. I don't have a phone so I can only do direct money from my debit card, as paypal etc all ask for confirmation codes.

I only said 5th of March to not anger the jacket maker. If he thinks I am being imapietent since his last message on the 17th then he may drop out of the project all together. I am scared of losing the money but also scared of angering him of feeling impaitent with his hard work and if he dropped out then I could miss the chance to get this and he is the only one who came make it as he has the original prop in his private colleciton to make a replica of.

He also doesn't sell replicas, so it is kind of an exclusive favor. He also has never used ebay before so it is also an exclusive favor to join here 😞

Message 9 of 50
See Most Recent

You ordered the jacket on the 6th January so your seller has already had over 7 weeks to make your jacket.

If it was going to take so long why didn't they set a longer dispatch time.

I understand you are desperate to get your item but please be careful or you could end up out of pocket as well as being jacketless.

Message 10 of 50
See Most Recent

They told me that they needed the money urgently in 6th of jan and it wont be cleared until feb 29th as their fund is on hold due to being a first time ebay seller and they said as a new seller they cant set a longer time

Message 11 of 50
See Most Recent

@cantosprofanae wrote:

They told me that they needed the money urgently in 6th of jan and it wont be cleared until feb 29th as their fund is on hold due to being a first time ebay seller and they said as a new seller they cant set a longer time

Sorry but that is ringing alarm bells.  It's not your problem that funds are on hold.  Also, the seller is the one that gave ebay the information about dispatch times that led to ebay saying it should be here by now.

By being nice you are in danger of losing your money altogether. 

What evidence do you have that he has even started the jacket?

Message 12 of 50
See Most Recent

Whilst new members have their money on hold true, they will get it quicker by making / sending the jacket asap,  and once tracking shows deelivery their money is released.  So it's nothing for you to do your end but for them to pull their finger out and get sewing.

However, @papso22  is correct big red flags are flying here, and as I said above listen to NO excuses or promises,  open that case now,  don't wait, just escalate it on day 4 to get your money back,  and find a more reliable seller.

Listen to no more of their offers or promises, ignore them all.

@cantosprofanae 

Message 13 of 50
See Most Recent

"The person is the only person I know who can make this item" they probably know that too and may have "sold" the same service over and over with no intent on supplying anything ,hoping to run buyers out of time to make a claim and hopefully do a runner with buyers payments.

If the seller cannot supply the item within nearly 2 months they will probably never do so.

This has all the signs of a scam.

Personally i would not wait any longer and would open a non receipt claim straight away and escalate after 3 working days.Get my money back and ignore any waffle from the seller ,probably more delaying tactics.

Seller's who try to make the buyer look like it's there fault are TROUBLE !.

Message 14 of 50
See Most Recent

The only evidence I have is two people on facebook thanked him for some other project he did last month, but they did the paypal route and it was a different item than mine. and on the 17th of Feb he sent me a picture of the jacket zipper that he had made and he said the fabrics will be there soon, he said he ordered some originally in Jan, but by the time they came they were the wrong color so he ordered more on like the 10th of Feb and on the 17th message he said they were on its way to him.

I told him it is fine in a reply on the 17th.

but I didn't hear back from him since then, so I assume he is busy with my jacket and the other items he is making for other customers.

So I was thinking of putting in the case either like 4th or 11th of March, just to give him a tiny bit more time, but worried it would be too late by then. So on the 4th I set an alarm on my calendar. 

Message 15 of 50
See Most Recent

Thank you for this, the thing is, I've spent the last month building a 6 foot mannequin to put the jacket on as it is a decoration of a character but if I anger him with this case, I am worried he will drop the project as he said he is already doing me a favor by doing ebay as he hates ebay. 

But if I anger him and he drops the project, I will be screwed becaue he has the actual prop of the jacket that he's making a replica of in his private collection and only he can do a real one based on it as all the other fan made ones look wrong since they dont have the references he has. and then the expensive mannequin I made and face sculpted for it will all go to waste without the jacket.

So  I really don't want to anger him to drop the project or lose my money either 😞

Message 16 of 50
See Most Recent

Thank you, and sadly he is the only one who can make this replica as he is the only one who has the references for it. I would never be able to find another person to can make one and send it to England as close as movie accurate as his one 😞  He has the actual emblems that he cast from the jacket out of resin to put on it.

So I am just super worried me trying to rush him with this case is going to make him drop the project. I already spent a month making a mannequin for it to be on and if he drops it then I am stuck with an expensive mannequin with no jacket.

And it already took like 3 months to convince him to come to ebay and make me this copy because he said he hates over seas shipping and he hates any services outside of paypal. So I feel like putting in the case now could possibly be the final straw for him to stress him out too much 😞

So I was thinking just wait until the 4th of March, and hoping that is still time and at least it gives him a little longer. 

Message 17 of 50
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

From the image you post the cost is in $ so assuming the seller is in USA and not knowing if the rules and the law are the same there.

The seller says no returns accepted indicating they are a private seller, but if they are making things to sell they should be registered as a business seller to comply with eBay rules and the law.

So, are they really trustworthy?

Message 18 of 50
See Most Recent

Oh they only made an ebay for me. They only do paypal, but I begged them and offered £70 extra if they put it on here as it is much safer here and I don't have a phone for paypal. I also just like ebay gurantee much more than paypal. 

So their ebay account was only made for me, they will never use this platform again, their account was made just for this one sale!

Message 19 of 50
See Most Recent

There are no requirements to register as a business seller in the US.

Message 20 of 50
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: