Getting my money back

I bought a Nikon lens but the seller sent the wrong lens so I refused delivery and the lens was returned to sender by Royal Mail,

Opened a case with Ebay who found in my favour telling me to return the item that I did nor recieve.

Cannot contact Ebay to talk to a team member only online which does not resolve the proble.

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

Getting my money back

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Unfortunately refusing delivery voids eBay buyer protection.

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

No it does not item was not the item described and Ebay has already found in my favour. They want a tracking number for the item I did not send back because I did not take delivery
Sent from my iPhone
Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Ebay found in your favour because they didn't know you refused delivery and opened a returns case to return something you don't actually have.

Although they found in your favour , unless you return the thing you haven't got, you won't get a refund.

There is no solution because you did something that is not part of the standard processes.

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Then contact eBay and inform them that you cannot return the item because you refused delivery.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

You do not have a clue
Sent from my iPhone
Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

I wish I could cannot send them a email and no contact number to ring them
Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

You have opened a return case stating the item is not as described.

Ebay always accept such cases.

However, the next step would be for you to return the item to the sender.

You do need to contact Ebay - use the link below.  Make sure you have the original tracking number so they can see the item has been returned to the sender.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

How do you know the seller sent the wrong lens if you refused delivery? Did the seller contact you and tell you that they realised they sent you the wrong one? If they did was it them who told you to refuse delivery for it to be returned to them rather than they issuing you a returns label to return it?

I might be being a bit paranoid but I'm wondering if they told you to refuse the delivery that it might be some elaborate scam to do you out of your money as the refusual of delivery negates the seller protection.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Hello,

No I made a offer on the lens as described as a Nikon 70-300mm VR lens and the next morning told my wife what I had bought as she is better with photographic equipment than me.

She immediately said the lens in the picture was not as described so expanded the picture and saw 55-300mm lens so I contacted the seller and he said they were the same.

After telling him they were different I said I would not accept it.

When it was delivered I told the postman to return to sender, I contacted seller and told him it was being return and to refund me which he refused and stopped replying to emails.

Ebay found in my favour but wanted a rtracking number which I did not have because the lens was never in my possession.
Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Unless you provide them with a tracking number showing you returned the item you won't get a refund

NEVER refuse an item, as you lose buyer protection

Always accept the item, open a case and then return it tracked for a full refund

You lost your right to a refund when you refused the package

Your case will close and you will not be refunded as you messed up and lost Buyer Protection when you refused the delivery. You can only get a refund if the seller chooses to give you a refund. eBay will not issue a refund if you did not follow the instructions when you opened a case which is return the item tracked. 

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Scroll down to the section on this page that shows you lost Buyer Protection when you refused delivery. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-poli... 

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

The buyer refused delivery of the item

Covered:

• The item arrived with postage cost still owing because the seller didn't apply enough postage

Not covered:

• The buyer refused delivery for any other reason

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

You have gone about it the wrong way.

You should have accepted the item then done a not as described return where seller pays return postage.

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Unfortunately you've gone about this the wrong way.  You should have just accepted the parcel and inspected the item to ascertain whether it was, or was not, as described in the listing.  If everything looked right and you were certain you'd been sent the correct item there would have been no reason to send it back to the seller.

In the event that it subsequently became clear that you had not received the item you had been led to believe you were purchasing then your next step would have been to open an Item Not As Described case against the seller, in which case the seller would then have had to provide you with an eBay returns label in order for you to send the item back, in which case eBay would have refunded your money.  Had the seller refused to agree to your request to return the item for a refund you would only have needed to escalate the case to eBay and they would have forced the refund anyway, regardless of any objections from the seller.

Unfortunately it seems as though you may well have to treat this transaction as a learning experience as to how not  to go about getting your money back.  Should you ever find yourself in a similar situation in the future just follow eBay's procedures relating to items not as described and you should be able to get your money back pretty easily, whether the seller agrees to issue you with a refund or not.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

Seller admitted he sent wrong item and did not appear bothered
Sent from my iPhone
Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

nat11911
Conversationalist

And  I'm afraid that giving the seller a neg for a situation that is partially your fault (admittedly unwittingly) probably explains why he isn't interested in helping you.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

He wasnt bothered as he knew he wouldn't have to refund as you went about getting a refund the wrong way...

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

The seller was given nearly 2 weeks to issue a refund which he did not do

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

You did not accept the item or send it back tracked using a pre-paid label the seller would have had to pay for

You lost Buyer Protection when you refused delivery, so the seller cannot be forced to refund you

You won't be refunded by this seller 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Getting my money back

He might be bothered when he gets a visit from the police for fraud
Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: