Ebay now want a phone number with my address

Can anyone tell me why ebay are now insisting on a phone number being added to my address every time I purchase an item?

I can see the point for a courier who may well be delivering a bulky item to somewhere new, but surely it is scarcely necessary for items delivered by the Royal Mail.

What is to prevent sellers adding a phone number to the address on an envelope or parcel - for some unknown reason some of them already add ebay's gobbledygook user number as if it is part of the address!

This demand for a phone number makes ebay's claim of being concerned about users' security seem more than a little hypocritical.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

@silveroboe wrote:

Can anyone tell me why ebay are now insisting on a phone number being added to my address every time I purchase an item?

They don't.

However, sellers can set the buyer requirements to insist on an address that includes a contact phone number because the parcel carriers they use will insist on having a contact number in case of difficulties with the delivery (difficulty finding the address for instance).  There is no system for differentiating between different requirements for different carriers however, so once the seller has selected a requirement for a phone number, it then applies to all sales regardless of the carrier concerned.

I have never had a seller include my pnone number within the address on the label when I have provided it.

It is quite straightforward to set up a second delivery address in your profile so that you have one theat includes the phone number, and one that doesn't.  You set the one without to be your primary address, and then when you are confronted with a requirement for a phone number on the payment page, you can edit>select a different address>select the address that includes the telephone number. 

This is what I have done for quite some years.

I don't really see quite how giving a seller your telephone number is such a security risk though??

@silveroboe wrote:

....- for some unknown reason some of them already add ebay's gobbledygook user number as if it is part of the address!

Hardly surprising when ebay have made it part of the delivery address on the order details page, but haven't gone out of their way to explain that it doesn't need to be used on the address label.  Would have made more sense to keep it separate.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I tried to do as you suggested, and set up another address - and guess what? Ebay demanded a phone number be added.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: