Do I have to pay extra for insurance?

I've paid for a repair service on Ebay where I send an item off to be repaired.  The seller says that to get a higher level of insurance on return postage I have to pay extra (I'm already insuring the item when I send it to the seller).  From what I gather it's the seller's responsibility to get something to you and if it goes astray or gets damaged in the post then that is their issue to sort out so I don't need to pay extra insurance.  Is that right please?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Never heard of a repair service which eBay provide.

Is the seller fobbing you off with this tale as you have received a broken, non functional item from them?

Then, listen to no more nonsense about insurance or repairs, but proceed this way.

If you have received an item not as described,  so you are guaranteed a full refund under eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy,  if you claim within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

You then go right of the item in your Purchase History,  and from More Actions select Return this item,  selecting the reason...  Item Not as Described.

The seller has 3 days to accept the case,  if they don't ,  you need to  escalate on day 4,  or within 30 days,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

If the seller wants the item back first,  they need to pay for a fully tracked return postage.  On receipt of their item they have 48 hours to refund you.  Again,  if they don't,  you escalate the case.

I think you sent the item back already?  Then, enter the tracking number you have into this case.

Do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

@merlinssuccess 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

It sounds like they've paid for a listing which is a service such as a coat repair. They pay the money, send the item off to have the repair service and have it sent back to them in it's repaired state. 

I'm not even sure people are allowed to do those listings? There probably won't be any protection under eBay's MBG if the buyer isn't happy with the repairs. Possibly the purchase was even done off eBay after they just responded to a no purchase listing that basically had the address of the business and details of the service they provide. 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Nope,  they would not be covered,    if that was the case it's asking for something not tangible,  a sewing service,  so not allowed.

@btr.style 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Are you prepared to lose the item and the payment ?.

If not i suggest you "RUN FORREST RUN !!!".

Sound's very DODGY to me.

Bargepole springs to mind.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks for all the replies They're not dodgy, I've used them before.  They are a genuine business and repair games consoles.

I realised since I wrote this that the Ebay guarantee doesn't cover services though so that does make me think again.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

@merlinssuccess wrote:

I realised since I wrote this that the Ebay guarantee doesn't cover services though so that does make me think again.

That is correct and good that you know that a ' service' cannot be covered by the MBG,  bit of a risk if you're willing to take.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: