Being spammed with 'discount' offers

Ebay now has a policy of allowing sellers to spam potential buyers with 'discount' offers. They've done this with things on the watch list for a while, but are now seemingly doing it with things which have been simply viewed and not watched.

I have turned off the notification emails, but when I log into ebay there are a whole list of these unwanted 'offfers' (usually for trivial amounts), and the only way to get rid of them is to go into each one and decline then delete it, or wait until they have expired then delete them.

It's actually counter-productive as if I am spammed like this I definitely won't buy the item from that seller. If they are prepared to automatically discount things, why not just list it at that price in the first place?

Ebay support has been as unhelpful as usual and so far as I can see there is no way to stop this deluge of spam offers. Is anyone aware of one? If not, I shall be deleting my ebay account (after having had it for many years).

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

I would have thought a watching buyer would be delighted to be offered a discount ?

I sell quite a lot as offers.

Ebay sometimes send offers on my items without my permission.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

There is one workaround option, although it shouldn't have to come to this as the technology exists for eBay to implement changes to the site which would result in seller offers only being sent to people who have the item saved on their Watch List.  However, given that eBay haven't implemented this I can only conclude that either they're too lazy to make the changes or they simply don't have the brains to figure out how to do it!

What I would suggest is that until such time as eBay actually solve this problem - which, at present, looks to be extremely unlikely - if you want to look at something on eBay then when you open up your computer delete your browsing history from the past twenty-four hours, past week, or however long you feel is necessary to get rid of any previous record of your eBay browsing history.  Once you have done so have a look at eBay, but without logging in.  If you see an item that interests you to the point where you woud like to add it to your Watch List or purchase it make a note of the listing number.

Once you are done browsing items for sale, shut eBay down and then delete your browsing history from the last twenty-four hours.  That way when you next sign into eBay there should be no record of your browsing from when you were not signed in.  Using the listing numbers of the items you were interested in use the Advanced Search function to locate each item in question and either add it to your Watch List, or purchase it, depending upon what you want to do.  Before logging out of eBay when you are actively signed in delete everything from your Viewed Items folder.

Finally, once you have finished with looking at eBay whilst you were logged in, log out again and delete your browsing history from at least the past twenty-four hours.  If eBay can't tell which items you were looking at in the first place then they cannot harass you with unwanted offers, although if you placed an item on your Watch List they could potentially still send you offers on one or more of those items.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

I was looking at my 'send offers' section last night. The zero watchers have definitely increased recently, but las night there was an item in there that had no watchers - but no views either, so goodness knows how that managed to get in there!

I think ebay are just sticking pretty much anything in there at the moment, which is a shame, because buyers like the OP get annoyed when they have only just looked at an item and get offers on it.  I used to find this quite a useful tool, but don't want to spam buyers who are not interested.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I keep getting offers on items on my watch list and some of them were very good so no complaints here. In fact I now stick things on my watch list and wait to see if an offer comes my way.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

"I would have thought a watching buyer would be delighted to be offered a discount ?"

No doubt some are, but not everyone is, so it should be something which can be turned off in the buyer settings.

It's got a lot worse now that they send offers for things which have just been looked at, not even watched. The discounts are often for fairly trivial amounts. It has got sufficiently irritating that if I get an offer, I definitely won't buy the item from that seller, even if I might have done otherwise.

Ebay could very easily implement an option so that buyers can choose not to receive offers, but they appear to have decided not to.

And if sellers are prepared to offer immediate offers (as many seem to be) - why not just advertise at the lower rate in the first place? The answer would appear to be that they are making use of Ebay's spamming policy: sending an offer functions as a form of advertising to bring the item back to the attention of the potential buyer.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Sellers have no idea who has viewed their listings, how would we? Ebay has taken it upon themselves to send out these offers to those who have viewed an item. Sending offers to watchers is a different matter and is something I never do.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

@edgeofthedales - you quote in your response to me "I would have thought a watching buyer would be delighted to be offered a discount ?" as if this was something that I had said, as you directed your reply to me.  However, I never actually said this.  This was something stated by nigel_paul_wright7557, so you ought to have responded to nigel_paul_wright7557 about this, rather than directing your comment at me.

Personally I do not like being spammed with offers.  If the item in question was something that I had on my Watch List and was giving serious consideration to purchasing then if the reduction in the overall price was enough to make the offer seem worthwhile, as opposed to just being a very small percentage off of the asking price, then it may well result in me accepting the offer.  However, it really p*bleep*s me off when I receive offers on items I have alreadly looked at and have decided that I'm not interested in, and have therefore not placed on my Watch List.  I do not feel that this practice should be allowed, yet eBay, much to the annoyance of many people who use the site, allow this practice to continue and do nothing whatsoever to put a stop to it.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: