Authenticity

Hi, I'm looking at buying a Prada bag through eBay but this particular one hasn't got their authenticity guarantee, not sure why as seller based in Uk. I'm no good at seeing if an item is genuine or not so is there an option to pay to send it to EBay Authenticators off my own back please.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Authenticity

What does you gut tell you?

Is it LIKELY to be genuine if it hasnt been authenticated? 

No there is no option to have it send to be authenticated. If it were genuine the seller would have done this.

You would have protection from the Money Back Guarantee, but are you willing to risk it, just in case you don't get a refund for some reason?

If things seem too good to be true, that's because they are...

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

The bag has to be priced at or sell for £500 or more to qualify.  If it is over £500 without the authenticity blue tick, check that it is listed in the right category and is a UK seller.

You can't pay to have it authenticated through Ebay.  You could have it authenticated privately.  The bag would qualify for the Ebay Money Back Guarantee so if it turned out to be a fake, you could get your money back.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

Thank you. It's starting price is £280 so that's why no AG as not reached the threashold. I wouldn't want it if I had an inkling it wasn't genuine so am conflicted.. my gut tells me don't do it... my inner bag monster says do it. Will see if I can find an online Authenticator as there are decent pictures of it.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

Pretty sure it'll be the same in the bag world as the trainer world but there is an easy work around, which eBay advertise on its own site, mark it as customised and it doesnt go through authentication, or you just pt it in another category (other options available too). If it looks too good to be true then stay clear, not worth that 5% chance its genuine as you have already said yourself you arent an expert to know yourself.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

If its cheap then its likely fake.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

I'd be wary of a high value bag where the leather isn't gathered well at the seams and looks to be badly seen. Check those photos well.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

If your gut is telling you that the bag may well be a fake then steer clear of the listing and buy an identical bag from Prada's own website.  You'll probably have to pay more as a result, but at least that way you would have the peace of mind of knowing that you've got a genuine item, rather than a knock-off that just looks like a Prada bag.  You'd be gutted if you bought the bag you've posted about here, thinking that you'd got an absolute bargain, only to later find out that you'd bought a cheap knock-off that isn't worth anywhere near the true value of a genuine Prada!

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Authenticity

It's not cheap enough to make me scream fake. It's starting bid is £280 and it's a used bag..can't seem to find anyone online in the UK to authenticate it so decided to not bid. I dont particularly like buying new as its a waste of money when you can get some great second hand purchases.  On other platforms you can pay £15 and they will authenticate for you for items on their site so really just wondered if Ebay did this. 

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: