A seller got his funds on hold over my purchase, how do I help him?

A new seller I requested to list something custom made which he doesnt usually do, he did so and I brought it (me UK, he is from the US) and it put his funds on hold. He told me the funds are on hold and needed help from my end. So I told him to mark he item as shipped (even though he didn't ship) so that it would help his funds be released. Will this help him?

He is listing the item for me as a favor, as he isn't a regular Ebay seller. The item is a hand made doll that he hasn't built or painted yet. But we did the purchase tonight. The actual item wont be ready or be shipped out for a few weeks. So we have it marked as sent even though it isn't. Will this release his funds? Thank you! I feel kind of guilty to have his funds on hold over me, since he wanted to sell it on paypal and I demanded ebay since I don't have a phone to activate paypal codes.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

It matters not how you pay a seller be it with PayPal or credit cards as the seller will not know by which method a buyer pays,  it all goes in the same way into the bank account they registered for eBay's Managed Payments.

I wouldn't suggest they mark it shipped until they do, this wouldn't release the payout any sooner, it's tracking showing actual delivery which will do this,  and once you receive the item you can leave some feedback, and that will release the money sooner for them, too.

All new sellers have this initial 21 day hold it's a security measure as eBay have none of a new seller's record of selling and therefore wish to see prrof that the item is delivered.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

ebay mainly impose the hold on new sellers, but there are other reasons, such as resuming selling after an absence, selling at an increased value or in a high-fraud or difficult-to-describe category, etc. While it sometimes reflect mild suspicion, it can apply to the totally innocent. If he acts appropriately.

There is no doubt at all that as soon as your bank or Paypal pay ebay, you have paid, and the seller's delivery estimate starts ticking away.

You can open an INR case as soon asthe delivery estimate expires, and win it after three more business days. A faster method, especially if the sellerhasn't been unpleasant, would be to show him the Selling Practice Policy, which says

You should not:

• If your funds are not immediately available from payments for an item you sold, you're not allowed to hold shipment until the funds are released

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy?id=4346&st=3&pos=1&qu...

There are some details of policy which very few or us need to know. But Selling Practices is fundamental to safely dealing and being dealt with on ebay. Being politely but firmly induced to comply may save him worse trouble someday.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: