A seller is selling a fake watch as genuine.

Hi All

I deal in watches. There is a seller selling a fake Omega watch as a genuine Omega. I know it is fake. A genuine one is worth 3k or so, this is worth nothing and has reached £750.00 with nine hours to go.

Part of me says buyer beware and it's none of my business, but another part of me doesn't want to see someone not as knowledgeable as me ripped off.

I have messaged the seller suggesting he removes it. Have I done right or can I do something else?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

There is a link in every listing to report it to eBay. (The link is on the right, level with the Postage and Packing tab.)

Whether eBay takes any action is up to them. EBay immediately removes counterfeits when reported by the registered owner of the brand name under their VERO scheme.

They often don't act on reports from ordinary members - probably because these are not always reliable, and may even be malicious.

EBay's mantra is that the seller is entirely responsible for the listing, but if the item isn't as described the buyer can claim a full refund under eBay's money back guarantee.

I agree selling fake watches is bad news.

But so is a dealer in watches who doesn't appear to be registered as a business seller

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

unfortunately as you deal in watches eBay won't place much interest on your report.

You can report it - there's a button on the right of the selling page.  EBay is very unlikely to do anything about it because they don't have the expertise and won't know if you're right or not, even if they have the manpower.  It's frustrating, I know!  All you can tell yourself is that the buyer is protected by the money-back guarantee.