What do you make of AI discriptions? Do you use them?

I'm selling so little and for so little, I thought I'd give AI a try. It is too soon to know if it is working. I feel the prose generated is bland and gushing and I don't know whether it  would sway me as a buyer. I sell what I think are nice things which will appeal to niche buyers and think that few of my items are "stunning". I don't want to be stunned by household ornaments which should harmonise and create a feeling of repose. Does anyone know whether it does work? Is it what shoppers browsing eBay respond best to? If it is, then "bring it on".

When using it, I do pick up on strange factual mistakes as when the gilding on a set of glasses  was wrongly applied to the stems as "gilded stems". The stems and feet were not gilded. I edited that.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Re: What do you make of AI discriptions? Do you use them?

Oh dear. It certainly isn't 'mint' or 'unhinged'. Perfect example of words and pictures not meeting. If the seller is relying on the pictures to offset the description that's a mistake. It may be 'stunning' as an example of this particular stamp, but not mint condition.

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

Speaking as someone who buys much more on Ebay than I sell I DETEST the AI descriptions, to the extent that they put me off buying items. If the seller has something useful to say then I want to hear it and I don't care if the puntuation isn't text book. What I don't want is to have my time wasted by this inane guff with no actual content. 

Most infuriatng  of all is that I have to try to decode it to see if the seller has actually added some information of use that is now burried in all the *bleep*. 

I hate them so much that I'm lookng for ways of getting that message back to ebay, which is why I'm commenting here. 

Is anybody listening? For f***s sake eBay just f*****g stop it. 

Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

I'm wondering whether the best thing is to regard the AI description derived from the Title and Item Specifics as a model. One "gets the drift" but substitutes one's own phrases and words while retaining the tone of eagerness and excitement. There must be something about the ai descriptions that eBay likes and thinks works, hard as it is to see.

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

I think your idea of tweaking them might be the best thing to do. EBay must have some reason to think that these paragraphs have a commercial justification (I am hoping there is research behind the implementation and it is not just a case of the CEO saw something about AI on "The One Show" and thought "we had better do that starting Monday").

Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

That is a fine example of someone not reading what AI has written. You cannot just add to a listing and think it's done. Common sense is needed every time you use AI. Read it delete what is not right and only use what is correct. 

I had about 12 lines written by AI and I only used one line that was appropriate for listing. I always make sure the must-have details are at the top of the AI description like color size and fabric make (or whatever your items are) and what the item is.

I only use the seeling speech from AI it does come up with things I would not have thought to add.

Each to their own but I do like it.

Maureen

SimplyC Accessories
Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

From what i can see (those using Ai descriptions) a lot of sellers are laying themselves wide open for NAD cases ......the description often does not match the pictures.

Personally i find that a lot of these Ai descriptions are rather condescending.  

Also and i am referring to the jewellery categories.......just like Ebay CS reading from a script the descriptions are very very repetative.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

AI descriptions don't fool the search engine because the search goes mostly by title and specifics, not the paragraph of description. For example, a search for Polyester smooth weave fabric very soft has no exact matches. The listing that I copied these words from appears under Results matching fewer words. The AI descriptions are rubbish.

Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

They are rubbish. I see it being used freequently where no additional usefull information has been added like detail as to the condition of the item for sale.

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: