Royal Mail price rise and EBay postage

Hi all,

I send a lot of DVDs.

The new price increase from Royal Mail means they are now £2.70 to send.

I have never used EBay for posting and just wanted gauge peoples view on those who use EBay?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

I've always purchased the Royal Mail postage labels from eBay site with no problems up to now. Pleased that RM24/48 Tracked can now be purchased with them.

I use to buy my International RM postage labels from RM Click & Drop linked site- there is more paperwork to fill in.

I now buy my RM International postage labels from eBay & have found the process very easy. I just add the item's HS Number as everything else has already been added by eBay to the Custom's label which I check & sign.  Items are arriving with my International Buyers okay.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

The new Royal Mail price rises mean that it is now cheaper to buy postage at the Post Office or from the Royal Mail website.

Royal Mail have put a surcharge on postage bought from big sites like eBay.   This will last till after Christmas.

Next time you send something, check the prices on the Royal Mail website first.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

https://send.royalmail.com/

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

@bravergrace wrote:

The new Royal Mail price rises mean that it is now cheaper to buy postage at the Post Office or from the Royal Mail website.

Royal Mail have put a surcharge on postage bought from big sites like eBay.   This will last till after Christmas.

Next time you send something, check the prices on the Royal Mail website first.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

Just been to the RM site and it's exactly the same as buying through eBay or Click and Drop for a 100g Large Letter 2nd Class... £1.55.  It states FROM £1.05 on the front page but there is no option for that when it comes ot the nitty gritty steps.. Looks like RM's web designers have been involved with eBay too long 🤣

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

You're quite right - it's in November that the eBay surcharges are being introduced (the green surcharge and the peak surcharge).

My mistake.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

You may well be correct goingfishinguk for small items but am just sending a 7kg parcel by RM tracked 48 service (collected). eBay wants £9.99 for this. Going direct through RM website same service is £6.29 so it's always worth checking folks. Most of eBay's other RM services for larger items a few quid dearer than RM direct too.

I have heard or seen somwhere that RM's free home collection which is a godsend for me for items that don't fit in a postbox may be ending at end of Jan 2024, but have been unable to confirm at time of writing.

Happy eBaying everyone and happy new year too

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

I found the opposite, I find it more expensive if I want to send a parcel and pay directly at the post office its costing £6-8 for something that would be around £5 on ebay. So in effect it's cheaper via ebay which kind of worries me a bit as expect then some kind of shortfall or recourse.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I'll never understand why people choose to buy postage through Ebay for a business selling account.

Why on earth do you not get a RM account?  If you send a reasonable quantity through them, the prices will tend to be better than you can buy on Ebay.  And if it's significant, the prices reflect this.

I don't pay anywhere near as much as Ebay would charge me for postage.

The minimum volume is only 20 parcels a week, so easily achievable.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

We mainly use 2nd class small parcel and it was around 50p per item cheaper using ebay labels, just done two this morning and now it's the same cost as the post office!

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Ive been a  long term fan of Post Office and the service they provide for the local community I try and support back but the increases in recent years is crazy but the service overall with the odd blip I cant really complain. 

My local and now third small community post office in our business life is closing this year and I have been looking at alternatives and part of the thing holding me back and going cheaper are the reputation and posts on here.

I read Yodel have issues, anyone care to comment on their use of alternatives 

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: