No Fees for selling Clothing?

So Ebay has abolished all fees for selling clothing on a private account.

Now more than ever surely the clamping down of businesses operating from private accounts has to increase?

I feel so sorry for those in this niche who trade legitimately as businesses who are competing with "private" sellers who just got handed a massive chunk of money.

Message 1 of 194
See Most Recent
193 REPLIES 193

Re: No Fees for selling Clothing?

I was a bit tired last night, posting at near midnight is never good, and don't think I explained myself very well.

Your figures don't take in the whole picture as the additional fees paid by business seller aren't taken into consideration. Your £200 figure when 30p charge, vat etc becomes £200 x 12% = £24 + 30p = £24.30 x 20% vat = £29.16 x 0.42% = £29.18.  That's more like a £10 disadvantage to business sellers. 

I agree the move is an unknown. At the moment it's difficult to see any advantages to business sellers. The way it's been done is scary for any and all business sellers and I hope it works out for clothes business sellers. 

Message 121 of 194
See Most Recent

But those cheating business/private sellers are going to have to learn so new tricks right, on top of HMRC worries...

That's assuming they are not paying taxes. If they are then HMRC won't touch them and business just got a lot more profitable as ebay isn't doing anything either. 

Message 122 of 194
See Most Recent

Some great replies as usual, we do differ in our thoughts but the world would be a dreadful place if we all agreed.

One thing I just want to question though is how eBay have taken away the cheat factor? To me they have just rewarded them even more by giving them 20/30% extra off fees, the cheats are still cheating but now being fully funded by me, you and others? Probably misread it or missed something myself.

I just cant see how its going to be good, eBays line of it will bring more buyers doesnt really cover much ground as there will be more sellers being able to undercut as they dont have to pay any fees plus theres going to be more *bleep* listed so to get above them you need to pay more in fees (blows my mind the level you pay at for promoted btw) and those private accounts can pay 10% promo to just be level with a business at costs.

Message 123 of 194
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Some great replies as usual, we do differ in our thoughts but the world would be a dreadful place if we all agreed.

Absolutely. And I went though an 'oh-sugar' moment myself. But there's no point staying there. I always wonder why (because I never think ebay management are fools despite the consensus here), and I always take a look from all sides to see all effects (that I can spot)

One thing I just want to question though is how eBay have taken away the cheat factor? To me they have just rewarded them even more by giving them 20/30% extra off fees, the cheats are still cheating but now being fully funded by me, you and others? Probably misread it or missed something myself.

Think about it in terms of drug dealing. Take away illegality and suddenly the drug dealers lose their advantage. I wonder if the increased competition from their own ilk will cause private/business seller problems more problems. Because we have already learned to compete, be at a disadvantage and we already -hopefully - offer professionalism, not to mention returns. (THIS IS A COMPARISON. NOT A COMMENT ON MY STANCE ON DRUGS.)

I just cant see how its going to be good, eBays line of it will bring more buyers doesnt really cover much ground as there will be more sellers being able to undercut as they dont have to pay any fees plus theres going to be more *bleep* listed so to get above them you need to pay more in fees (blows my mind the level you pay at for promoted btw) and those private accounts can pay 10% promo to just be level with a business at costs.

Frankly I was afraid of Vinted's march on buyers. I'm hoping this will bring them back to ebay. Yes we have more competition BUT so much of the competition (in preloved) is woeful. New trainers may be a different thing, I agree. Just as an aside, you know this will be definitely be a first step. Ebay will be watching and waiting to see just like all of us. There will be more changes to come resulting from this. I have no doubt that at some point the private vs business seller issue will become moot just like fees on postage pretty much have (although how soon, is anyones guess). I agree my PL fees last year were horrendous. But like I say I have cut my total fees by 25% this year so fingers crossed I am well placed to compete.

Message 124 of 194
See Most Recent

@the_book_seekers wrote:

But those cheating business/private sellers are going to have to learn so new tricks right, on top of HMRC worries...

That's assuming they are not paying taxes. If they are then HMRC won't touch them and business just got a lot more profitable as ebay isn't doing anything either. 

True - but quite a few are worried - we have seen it in newsapers and on these boards

We have also seen more people coming to these boards asking for help when ebay warned them.

Changes are happening. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Message 125 of 194
See Most Recent

@the_book_seekers wrote:

I was a bit tired last night, posting at near midnight is never good, and don't think I explained myself very well.

Your figures don't take in the whole picture as the additional fees paid by business seller aren't taken into consideration. Your £200 figure when 30p charge, vat etc becomes £200 x 12% = £24 + 30p = £24.30 x 20% vat = £29.16 x 0.42% = £29.18.  That's more like a £10 disadvantage to business sellers. 

I agree the move is an unknown. At the moment it's difficult to see any advantages to business sellers. The way it's been done is scary for any and all business sellers and I hope it works out for clothes business sellers. 

I agree my figures were slapdash. My point remains the same. We were already at a disadvantage.

The shock horror felt by the likes of BTR was thinking of @12% fees to suddenly zero fees. My point is that the change is not as huge as that. WHEREAS the influx of new sellers could be impactful. What we feel about those people considering ebay (as opposed to Vinted) is another matter. I like to see them as potential customers... sure, ever the optimist I know. Some people have called me a three-legged pony heading for a fall, I like to think of myself as a survivor still clearing hurdles despite only three legs.

Message 126 of 194
See Most Recent

Issue is the top level in eBay are obviously very intelligent, but intelligence on paper and in exams doesnt mean you can run a successful business and especially run a competent team. Look at Post Office for the prime example. The last big movement for me on here was AGS, this was brought in as StockX and GOAT were kicking eBay to the curb, all they had to do was copy and paste the situation but they instead brought in the lite version which was as good as a chocolate teacup, then expanded it before the issues were solved so now we are firefighting a forest fire with a garden hose, staff havent been trained correctly and most dont even know the simple rules of it so its a constant battle.

The drugs story would probably work for drugs but what they have actually done is said the drug dealers can still sell coke thats fine but the pharmacy isnt allowed to sell coke, you can just carry on doing as you were doing, they've rewarded illegal traders and put 2 fingers (currently) up to the legal traders. The community team have said good news will come at the roadshow so im looking forward to hearing what it is, if its more buyers will come and pay nothing that aint good news.

Its certainly the first step, if it works it'll be introduced to many other categories but then I cant really blame anyone for opening a private account and screwing over eBay as they have screwed over a business seller, my morals probably wouldnt allow it but after complaining for years to eBay and they have basically said thanks but no we will reward them instead, thats a painful slap. Never looked at vinted for trainers, as you cant be a business its nothing I've looked at and the stuff i buy is very rarely ever on there. I just think there was many better moves they could have done to attract customers instead of annoying your core base. Even if it doesnt effect businesses that much, its annoyed them enough for some to quit. Thats terrible business sense.

Message 127 of 194
See Most Recent

This will tell us a lot about ebay's relevance in the modern online market. If ebay fails to pull in more sellers who translate in to buyers then it really does have a problem.

Message 128 of 194
See Most Recent

My theory is that eBay is doing this to take control, annihilate the competition and dominate the marketplace. When they've done that the will revert back to a  normal charging structure. Job done. It just remains to be seen what happens in the meantime to their existing business sellers.

Message 129 of 194
See Most Recent

I like this post,

Agree but all selling categories should be made to offer returns. Level playing field on everything and insisting on 'best practices' can only make the platform more appealing

Ebay advise Free P&P, Free Returns and other TRS 'best practices' are what buyers want, improve sells, etc etc so make ALL give it to them.

We offer free returns and when it is used its a great way to make unhappy customers happy and keep them on the platform, which we all want. There are categories with high return rates but thats a pitfall of online selling

If all sellers had to enroll in the current 'best practices' it would only assist in detering the shysters/chancers and give the customer more confidence in the platform, 

Should be a given, imo, I know as a buyer I look for it

Message 130 of 194
See Most Recent

Have a look at vinted pro... maybe an option

edit, just read back and you memtion youre gonna get on it....x

Message 131 of 194
See Most Recent

Unfortunately, Vinted pro is only an option, if you have a French based company, or sole trader equivalent.

So it' s not an option for UK sellers as a rule.

Message 132 of 194
See Most Recent

Vinted Pro is on it's way to the UK - well, according to Jon Sheppard, a very ordinary guy who has posted a video on YouTube.  Worth a watch - "Vinted is launching Vinted Pro in the UK for Resellers but what's it all about and will it work?"

Me, I can't wait.  Feel I've been well and truly shafted by eBay.  It's not for giving free listings/no FVF's to private sellers of clothing, I can live with the moms selling their kids' used clothing and last season's ripped jeans,  what I can't live with is their deliberate, deceptive ploy in failing to  identify private 'businesses' with all the evidence staring them in the face.  And then, trying to con business sellers (clothing (at the moment)) it's for our benefit as well!!!

Think their ship is about to sink, I also believe eBay businesses should start exploring alternative platforms before it does so they don't go down with it.

Message 133 of 194
See Most Recent

@fatbobfan wrote:

I like this post,

@linthamdesigns

Actually what a really simple but probably great idea.

I'm sure ebay concerns are it will deter some private sellers - but it would really appeal to buyers.

A slight concern is returns is what sets business sellers apart - but, heck, returns are the bane of my life - I would LOVE private sellers to get a taste of reality.

Also - I rarely buy from private sellers now as it really is 50/50 whether the item will be as described. And you always get abuse when you complain. It would get rid of the dross that puts people off ebay.

Message 134 of 194
See Most Recent

I wouldn't hold much stock with a You Tuber.  When Vinted officially state it, then I'll believe it.

However, Vinted isn't a great deal better than Ebay as regards business sellers pretending to be Private.

Look up annmariemc9791 on Vinted.  She even had a full page dedicated to her in the Sun newspaper about how her business had grown on Vinted!

Absolutely ridiculous.  And still selling.

Message 135 of 194
See Most Recent

I agree.  Vinted is as hypocritical as eBay.

To quote Sheeba

"I rarely buy from private sellers now as it really is 50/50 whether the item will be as described" the odds are worse on Vinted.  I  buy there because as a retired needlework/craft teacher I can make professional repairs.  Some stuff is beyond redemption though - repair all the stretched waist seams on a dress and it's fit only for Jessica Rabbit.  So, it's bin it or pay return postage.

At least on eBay there is a pretty good money back guarantee, and I do wonder whether this will go in eBay's favour as they will attract the better sellers (leaving private/business sellers out of it for the moment), who in turn can get better prices.  Vinted will be left with the rubbish unless they do introduce Vinted Pro with some sort of money back guarantee, or even real 'buyer protection'.

Message 136 of 194
See Most Recent

I've not had a reply to my question so i will repeat it,

How on earth does this policy benefit business sellers ? as stated in the announcement

Message 137 of 194
See Most Recent

@moldosgifts wrote:

I've not had a reply to my question so i will repeat it,

How on earth does this policy benefit business sellers ? as stated in the announcement

It doesn't.

eBay are gas lighting business sellers.

Message 138 of 194
See Most Recent

I agree, but I would still like to see them expalin it.

Should be funny.

Message 139 of 194
See Most Recent

@moldosgifts wrote:

I agree, but I would still like to see them expalin it.

Should be funny.

Don't shoot the messenger. This one is more affected by the announcement than most. But it's pretty obvious what eBay would LIKE to see happen (and what the annoucement is explaining). Lots of small PROPER private sellers selling a handful of items only will rediscover eBay and sheba's wonderful leather coats and tweeds. Meaning they spend far more than they sell. Fingers crossed.

Message 140 of 194
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: