New feedback policy - ebay is acting against the sellers even when buyer is openly lying.

Hi,   Buyer openned INR case saying that the item didn't turned up, as "customer is always right" we offered option of shipping the order again, or full refund.  Buyer opted for this first option, so we shipped the order again.  On the very same day when we shipped the replacement the original order delayed by RM was delivered (tracking showing exact delivery location which matching buyers house).  Two days later replacement was also delivered (fully tracked delivery).  Ebay closed INR case in our favour, but buyer decided to leave negative feedback saying that neither original order turned up and that the replacement didn't turned up.  We requested feedback removal providing the tracking numbers confirming delivery to buyers address and screenshots from RM C&D showing that order was shipped on the very same day and also based on the fact that ebay closed the INR case in our favour, but ebay declined feedback removal saying that feedback is buyers opinion.  So even if you provide plenty of evidence that buyer is clearly lying and abusing the platform, you can forget it, ebay will not remove the negative feedback.  I spoke with the CS and even they was saying that this new policy is unfair for the sellers and buyer can put any false information against the saller in the feedback and they will not remove it.  After 7 years trading on ebay and paying thousends in fees, they will treat good honest seller like don't really care to put it mildly.  Does anybody else had similar experience recently ?

Message 1 of 60
See Most Recent
59 REPLIES 59

Re: New feedback policy - ebay is acting against the sellers even when buyer is openly lying.

With Libel and UK Laws its a really grey Area when it comes to reviews, especially when it's a case of one word against the other. A court would need to find the buyer beyond the balance of probability (50%) they have lied with the intention to cause another person distress, loss of earnings or damage to reputation. In the UK most Sellers wouldn't be covered under Legal Aid and a lot of Litigation Lawyers wouldn't represent on a comission based on a Market Place unless it was clear slander.

On this case, as a denending Lawyer, I would agree the tracking is showing as delivered to the address, however, I would question further facts, was there a signiture, GPS at point of delivery, photograph of delivery, then i'd pull up articles of items going missing on buyers drives etc and that the buyer had no history of making such allegations..... it's a tough area Libel, and lets be honest, do you want your name on the Papers saying you was the Seller who took a Buyer to court for a dodgy review, it would cause more long term issues than just biting your tongie and moving on. I agree, it's tough for us sellers now as the buyer can literally say anything and the protections we now have are really minimal. For the fee's we pay I would expect a fair feedback policy. 

To be honest, I think a Credit Score type feedback system would be better. You get marked out of 999 and things like Average Response time to customer, Delivery Times, Dispatch Times, Postage Cost against the weight etc go towards your score. It should be 5 Criterias per transaction with the buyer contributing to 2 of them. Item Description, Rate your experiance with this seller.

The other 3 are generated by Tracking (with Delivery Times) How long you took to respond (if they messaged) Postage Cost against the Weight of the item. 

So even if the buyer isnt happy, but the item was delivered in 2 days, with quick response time, free delivery you still get positive marks. 

nine out of ten walls prefer iPosters!
Message 41 of 60
See Most Recent

Re: New feedback policy - ebay is acting against the sellers even when buyer is openly lying.

Okay, but some the outrageous examples posted in this thread sound like slam dunks; like making an order and asking to cancel followed by negative feedback for not receiving the cancelled order? I don't see how you could defend against that.

Message 42 of 60
See Most Recent

This is exactly my case too. I feel demotivated by eBay

I posted using first class (non-trackable) and this buyer reached out to me, I apologised and immediately offered a refund or reply, but they opted for replacement and then, a few minutes later went ahead to leave negative feedback.

I felt bad cos I was packing their replacement order ready for postage it now looked intentional so I reached out to them again to say I was sorry and that there was no point in sending a replacement then I offered a refund instead.

I requested a revision, but the buyer declined and I requested for the feedback to be removed I spoke with an eBay rep who said the buyer has been refunded and they said the buyer has the right to their opinion so they would not be removing the feedback. They also said they are a seller as well on eBay and they find that policy unfair to sellers especially the fact that sellers are forced to leave only positive feedback for buyers while buyers can leave all shades of feedback depending on their mood and intentions.

I personally find this grossly biased on sellers who pay a whole lot to sustain eBay

I pay a whole lot to eBay, I don't sell for free on eBay,  I do my due diligence, I do practically everything right within the policy and even go out of my way to ensure customer satisfaction and used to be confident that whatever the buyer claims when investigated would be resolved accordingly but I am wrong eBay is BIAS.

I deserve some level of protection as well cos I am not a robot but a human just like all buyers out there.  

eBay is only after the money and does not care about their sellers. I should be able to share my feedback experience with buyers so sellers can beware since feedback is important.

Is eBay aware or they don't just care that some buyers are in a bid to rubbish honest hard-working competitors, they just open pseudo accounts and buy with sometimes the wrong address/name then claim INR or that some intentionally want the item for free and would claim all sort

It's not good enough that they rule in the favour of sellers eBay should also remove negative feedback of resolved cases or at least allow the seller to give back the same energy to the buyer.

I hope one day we have a fair marketing platform for buyers and sellers

SELLERS MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS

Message 43 of 60
See Most Recent

Sorry to hear that story. I, for my part, pretty much ceased my eBay activities .Sure, I wasn't making them millions, but for the short time I gave it a go it was in the hundreds.

Since Whatnot basically has the option to sell even when not online, I just use them instead and only occassionally list items on eBay. And by the way, Whatnot customer service is FANTASTIC!

IMO, eBay are digging their own grave, driving sellers away and eventually will lose even more market share. The irony of it is: it won't be the top execs or shareholders suffering, they will always fill their pockets. It will be those clowns making those ridiculous decisions who get rid of their own jobs, so I do find it kind of funny even 😄

Message 44 of 60
See Most Recent

Hahahaha, the eBay police CAN react fast. Took them a few hours to censor my response to your post @favescraft. I am impressed, this is BY FAR the fastest reaction I have ever seen from eBay on anything. Sadly, still no response to an issue I am still waiting to hear back from customer service where a parcel was delivered, the buyer then confirmed this but eBay still forced me to refund.

So, eBay people - apparently you are here and you can react fast. Please DM me and I forward you the details for where I really need your help and am looking forward for somebody looking into this at last.

Note: I expect your response in equal or less time compared to when I called your customer "service" reps soon-to-be-unemployed cl*****.

Message 45 of 60
See Most Recent

The moderators do not work for ebay, they work for the company that provides the platform for the forums.  They will edit posts that break the forum rules but they won't/can't intervene in ebay matters.

There are some ebay staff who come on here and help out, their usernames have 'ebay' in them and the posts are in bordered boxes.

Message 46 of 60
See Most Recent

That's even better... please tell me you at least get paid for doing this!

Message 47 of 60
See Most Recent

No, I do not get paid for posting on these boards. 

Message 48 of 60
See Most Recent

Hi

I have just had a neutral allow to remain on my feedback.

The buyer claimed they did not have the goods despite tracking showing they did and a return case opened because they did not like the order. How can you not have something you opened a return case and sent back tracked??????This does not violate Ebay policy. So very soon I am reducing my shop subscription as I cannot keep promoting everything supporting customers who hand me the phone and want me to arrange their return with the postmaster on their mobile.... I have a negative also today from a person trying to claim their glass dome did not arrive.....claiming I called them a liar. In no post did I. My BAD Attitude is alful so I have had it with liars cheats and those wanting something for nothing. I can sell elsewhere and will. No support so Ebay will be making way less from this seller. On the phone to Ebay this morning trying to sort out weird stuff. Its just to much faff trying to get in contact with Ebay 

Message 49 of 60
See Most Recent

So sorry to hear that @flutterby-enterprises , and is pretty much similar to what others wrote. Hm, since eBay does nothing to help sellers, I am glad that at least the forum is monitored and moderated for eBay and for free! This is to all moderators (or whatever "title" they give you).

Let me express my deepest, most heartfelt admiration for the tireless work you do here. The way you patrol the digital corridors of the forum and all for the grand sum of zero dollars - is nothing short of heroic. Truly, it's like watching volunteers clean up after a festival they didn't attend; it's both inspiring and, well, curiously fascinating. If I were an eBay shareholder, I would even include you in my nightly prayers.

Your dedication to maintaining the order in a forum for a company whose customer service could give a labyrinth a run for its money is commendable. It's like volunteering to be a lifeguard in a pool without water. But there you are, whistle in mouth, ready to jump into the empty basin to save the day.

And let's not forget the sheer amount of time you dedicate to this noble cause. Some might spend their hours pursuing personal hobbies, career advancement, or – dare I say – remunerative work, but not you, brave souls. You choose to donate your time here, in the virtual trenches, armed with nothing but your keyboard and an unshakeable sense of duty for eBay.

In light of your selfless service, I have an irresistible offer: how would you like to work for me? Also completely for free, of course! Think of the opportunities! You could apply your unparalleled moderating skills to organizing my email inbox, moderating the heated debates at my family Whatsapp group, or even curating my dog's Instagram account. The possibilities are as endless as they are unpaid.

In all seriousness, your efforts are seen, and while my offer stands (as tongue-in-cheek as it may be), I do hope the universe sends some good karma your way – perhaps in the form of a lottery ticket or a surprise pizza delivery. With warm regards and a hint of mischief!

Message 50 of 60
See Most Recent

Thanks for the response it was at least funny! Knowing my luck a pizza will arrive for the type two diabetic who cannote at it....lol

Message 51 of 60
See Most Recent

Hi,PostPack.

I am reading your post with intrepidation and fear.

I have seen on you tube via us sellers that ebay is bring in new rules to sellers.

1 if you don't get the item within the time scale then you get a ding on your account.

2 From now on the Buyer is the most important person.

3 The buyer can open a case for anything.

4 I think it is flipping ain't easy on you tube that mentioned this.

When I heard this I couldn't believe this.I can only think that it is due to ebay's poor results.

Message 52 of 60
See Most Recent

I don't think that sounds like anything new.

Message 53 of 60
See Most Recent

Same here. Due to the incrdibly small amount I make, the huge effort it all takes, and the lack of support for sellers, I have decided not to bother anymore and list no more items. I am losing money more than making any as it is. 

Message 54 of 60
See Most Recent

The problem is eBay do not have any real competition, so as a result thay have been stacking things in favour of buyers for years because they know sellers will just suck it up. Trust me if there were other credible online market place auction sites that offered simular terms I would be off like a shot.. 

Message 55 of 60
See Most Recent

That is a problem in itself. I dont use Facebook and why should I have to go through alternative channels to actually speak to a human at the platform I sell on? I sell over 200k a year on eBay yet can't speak to anybody with a brain cell . Only useful people are eBay Ireland and getting through to them is nigh on impossible these days. 

Message 56 of 60
See Most Recent

What makes it worse is that as well as being unable to defend yourself against this feedback, you'll see a significant hit to sales for a week or 10 days afterwards due to being put in the eBay naughty corner. I could see the justification of that if your feedback was down at 90% or something, but to have 1 neg in the last 6 months hardly seems to justify such a penalty.

Indeed, both of my negs in the last 12 months were nothings. The most recent one the buyer expected a responds in under two hours over a weekend, and the older one was a no contact neg which was resolved quickly when I contacted the buyer, but which he wouldn't remove. Both were also cause by the buyer ignoring the fitting instructions and damaging the product.

Message 57 of 60
See Most Recent

I had a buyer who missed a delivery, so the item was at the local depot. 

I tried to arrange redelivery, told the buyer where the item was, but they opened a case, that found in their favour, the buyer was refunded and told to keep the item. Shortly after they claimed the item from the depot. 

This was a £1,400 bike. I have no recourse as the claim was settled in the buyers favour even though the evidence shows clearly that the item had been attempted delivered, and could have been collected.

Staggered at how ebay treats sellers now!! 

Message 58 of 60
See Most Recent

I always leave positive feedback when a buyer pays: I say "Thank you!". I don't go into ecstacy. Then, if a sale goes wrong and it is not my fault, I am able to leave a negative feedback follow up comment and ALSO leave a negative reply to feedback left for the transaction. It's not ideal but the rule about not leaving negative feedback for buyers only applies to the initial comment left for a buyer.

They now don't care about Keyword Spamming either.

Message 59 of 60
See Most Recent

It's such an easy buyer scam!

Rather than opening an item not received case they open a return case saying "parts missing". This kind of case ebay doesn't allow sellers to send replies or comments on.

The seller has 3 days, plus 4 to send a return label. But it causes so much confusion. What is the buyer returning, they don't have the item?!

If you waste time, as I did, trying to track down the item, Unless you send a return label within the alloted time the case is closed in the buyers favour, and they then have a few weeks, as most couriers hold items for a month, to collect the item, after having been refunded.

All eBay do is say, well, if the item turns up please send it back to the seller. Which obviously they dont do.

Shame on you Ebay! 

Message 60 of 60
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: