If you were on eBay's board of directors what changes would you make?

What changes would you make if you sat on eBay's board of directors?  Top of my list would be to clamp down on business sellers trading on private accounts.  Why allow these sellers to benefit from free listings and heavily discounted FVFs?  Where is the financial benefit to eBay?  Surely turning a blind eye just reduces eBay's income, further erodes trust in the brand and alienates loyal business sellers that pay their fees yet are not given the opportunity to compete on a level playing field?

By way of example, in a moment of idleness today I reported a couple of such listings, both in categories I regularly sell in, both by sellers with 5000+ sales behind them and around 300 listings active listings, all professionally photographed, and with neither seller displaying business details or offering returns.  EBay's response?  'We looked into your report and didn't find the listing(s) to be a violation of our policy'.  

eBay used to be so much better than this.  So back to my question, given the opportunity what changes would you make?  Who knows, maybe people in high places occasionally read these discussion boards!   

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

The business sellers trading on private accounts issue is pretty much the final straw for me, Ebay does nothing about it, if anything thing they encourage it.

Only today I have seen an artist with over 250 active listings, they are trading on a private account. They have sold one painting in three months, if they were a business it would not be viable to have over 250 listings, the fees would make it totally and utterly pointless yet as they are a private account the listings are free so there is no financial risk.

My issue with this is that the seller is clogging up space on the site, this isn't beneficial for anyone including Ebay. 

There seems to be little hope of the above scenario changing as it has been ongoing for so long yet it is one of the issues that has damaged the platform in a very serious way.

All Ebay needs to do is to create a fair and level playing field for sellers to trade on, that isn't currently the case.

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

I would come up with a business support program that is so worthwhile it would be a no brainer for businesses not to be part of it.  Instead of trying to compete with Amazon, would try to compete with likes of Wix & Shopify

Limit private sellers to only one account, which would solve a lot of the problems with private sellers having multiple accounts to get offers for final value fees. Allow private sellers to list for free, but limit them to 250 per month and after that they have to pay a fee to list. Allow them low FVFs but again put a limit to x amount of transactions or income before they pay a higher fee.  

Create two business tiers:

Tier one £25 per month or or £200 per year

Up to 5000 listings per month

Lower the FVF to around 5% and encourage businesses to trade locally, supply card readers and 2% fee for local transactions

Customer support - 2 phone calls per month or live chat or email for other support

Tier two £300 per month or £2500 per year

unlimited listings

Lower fees around 4.5% and 1.8% for local card transactions if buyer collects and pays on pick up.

customer support - 10 phone call per month on live chat or email

Allow all business sellers to put items forward for things like daily deals/offers. 

More transparancy with things like return credits, allow sellers to deduct return postage fees at time of refund. 

Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

Level playing field on selling fees - Yes I would like lower fees but thats not going to happen but at least make it fair for all, perhaps? with a more bias towards business sellers. Reduced subscripton fees would certainly increase my listing capacity of slower moving inventory

Proper testing of system tinkering/changes before they are implemented, there have been some stinkers over the years,  and from the comments from mods on these forums suggests they expect the issues. Is it too difficult to get it right or nearly right in the first place? 

My bugbear - A customer service department that works, so many faults..... 

Call backs not actioned, common occurrence

A telephone call back system that often fails,  eg we tried to call you, well my phone didnt ring!

CS staff with basic knowledge of the ebay platform.

CS staff who make things up,

CS staff who know how to listen, 

Basic improvement - Paying business customers to get a paying business customer CS dept with agents who have the ability and given the time/skills to be conscientious and provide service and to conclusion. 

Private/Business seller issues - Speaking to a member of the business team recently , this will shortly be addressed and clear guidance is incoming.  Definitely needs to be addressed.

Better communication to sellers - A single email, that may be missed, can and does have consequences. Dont know the answer to this one but so many posts on here from people who dont know system change issues. 

Better sales practice to all sellers - Any fool can read a script and does, guiding private and business sellers down an avenue of Promoted Listings when its not appropriate to the sellers account level/inventory. I read on these platforms its what CS push for 'sales issues' and make proactive calls chasing PLA business when its not appropriate to inventory (from experience)  Shameful practice.

Algorythm - Why do Ebay execs call it the 'Dark Art' in their YouTube video? Dont get the current set up, why create an algorythm that hides inventory, I pay a subscription to list, so why hide it. I have some seasonal and slow moving inventory. Best practices? not imo, change wording/photo's with large inventory its time consuming, thats an additional COST. Im paying a subscription , I list the way EBay says is best but have to change that every 2/3 months, Flawed unless we all sell those golden eggs! 

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

I would get rid of all the directors and get new ones who know how to run a business.

Maureen

SimplyC Accessories
Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

Why?   

At the moment they are doing a very good job, or at least batting above their average - a reducing GMV but increased profits, and a better than expected last quarter 2023 share dividend for shareholders!   So the evidence is that eBay, the company, is doing ok!

In general, the shareholders invest capital to create a steady, profitable business, and they appoint a board of directors, and dictate the salaries and bonuses of those directors, who are there to ensure that the shareholders have a decent return on investment, which is shareholder dividends and, ideally,  a healthy and increasing share price.   Nothing more and nothing less.  

So it would be rather difficult to remove the board of directors, even harder when so many are also shareholders -  the major individual shareholders at eBay - most shares are owned by three institutions - are all either the board directors or executives, including the founder of eBay, Pierre Omidyar, the board director who has the most shares of an individual shareholder!  If you did ask any directors what they would change, it would certainly be something that would benefit them, because we all see things better from our own perspectives

They seem to  be doing a fairly good job, so would you - as an shareholder and investor in eBay and therefore, theoretically,  in a position to sack the board directors - get rid of them?  If so, how would you persuade the other shareholders to support you?

If I was a shareholder, I might be interested to know what steps the Board of Directors are taking to retain buyers and retain and expand the big business seller base, and what steps they are taking to use their investments to at least maintain and hopefully improve the share dividend.  And I'd probably be more concerned about untapped markets in outside of USA and mainland Europe than existing markets.  Especially when China, India, Indonesia and Japan are some the countries with good economic growth, USA is doing ok  and Germany, France and the UK are struggling.

The business sellers in the UK are happily paying bigtime just to play, which is directly helping that GMV/profit ratio that pleases the shareholders and thus protects the directors' jobs - any backtracking to make the little guy feel better will only result in more sellers selling to the same pot of buyers, thus making competition more intense and life more difficult, not easier, for those sellers - and might make life a bit more difficult for some of the big guys - never a good thing.

Of course they can do thing differently - personally  I might wish for the same fee levels for all, no fees on postage, a huge amount of money spent on advertising the vintage and used section, listing made easier, and huge cash awards to the most prolific buyers on ebay  - but if wishes were horse beggars would ride!

Mercari - still a player in the US and Japan - have just announced the end of seller fees, I wonder if a discussion about this is on the the agenda for the next board meeting- I suspect not. 

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

Mercari - still a player in the US and Japan - have just announced the end of seller fees, I wonder if a discussion about this is on the the agenda for the next board meeting- I suspect not. 

They've just basically moved the seller fee to a buyer fee and if you return it you are still charged the fee, I can see a U turn coming on that one just going on the threads on reddit.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

It all started to go wrong with manged payments

All my friends that sell on ebay all tell me the same thing

In the past anything they sold the payment would go to paypal and they would then spend the money on items from ebay, Now payments go straight to the bank and they don't spend the money ebay

It's not rocket science

Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

I might be in the minority here but I dont understand this thought (many have it) when I want to buy soemthing I look for value and I look in multiple places. Did your friends really only look on eBay when they were wanting something and pay 10% more because they had funds in paypal over their bank account? 

I get my funds from all sales within 24 hours (unless bank holidays) so its not like people can realistically complain about that as in the old days when auctions were so popular 50% of people took longer than 24 hours to even pay. I dont see how MP gets such a bad rap on here, but maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: