Getting sick of sellers advertising items for a false price.

sellers advertising items at a shown price, then as soon as you choose a colour or size the price shoots up. And theres nothing in the drop down for price advertised. This is false info, good to attract buyers but a waste of buyers time. if they are lying about price are they lying about other things described ?

Message 1 of 128
See Most Recent
127 REPLIES 127

So pleased someone else posted this. Can't begin to tell how much this annoys me - it's like 'keyword spamming' which is banned but somehow this is allowed.

E.g. looking for an iPhone case, shows up at 99p, find the case for the model I want and it's actually £9.99, the 99p item is for a SIM eject pin or something.

I wouldn't care beyond the search engine filtering being no good - I'd rather one item per listing or all the same price. Not the same price? Create a new listing, surely? How can eBay think allowing this is good? 

Message 41 of 128
See Most Recent

And yet if you sell an ipod + its charger ebay asks you to call it a bundle even though it isn't. They are insistent on some things while totally permissive on others. I guess it's because ebay makes a bunch of money from people who are hoodwinked by the misleading pricing so they are looking the other way. Time for them to realise it's borderline scammy and put a stop to it.

Message 42 of 128
See Most Recent

There is no point in complaining on here as eBay won't give a damn what anyone writes. The only thing companies like ebay will take notice of is reputational impact and by that i mean posting on socia, media and getting others to add and complain so it is out there in the wider media. Hopefully if others who have the same neagtive experience join in the noise becomes loud enough. In many ways ebay as very good but fraudulant listing practices such as this are now the norm. Sellers cannot be allowed to advertise a price for something that is both not mentioned in the Title Description or shown in the listing tile photo.

Message 43 of 128
See Most Recent

Why hasn't this been fixed yet ? It drives me crazy!! Buying swivel chairs they are from £25-80 then you get there the £25 is just the base or a rubbish barstool !!! 

Message 44 of 128
See Most Recent

BAIT AND SWITCH !! 

Message 45 of 128
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree, I am sick of it. Don't they realise they are losing business because I will never deal with conmen.

Message 46 of 128
See Most Recent

Surely there should be a policy against this? If so I would report every one I see! Like iphone accessories showing in listing 0.99-4.99 but the 0.99 option is just a sim card remover! Should be called misleading pricing option if it doesn't count as misleading title!

in fact I often scroll straight past all the ones that show a price range assuming they are all cons and go for the best price item with no options. Can ebay add a search filter to exclude price range items or I suppose that would exclude legitimate sellers using the feature 😤

Message 47 of 128
See Most Recent

They don't care, because they are on fixed salaries 😞

Message 48 of 128
See Most Recent

Trouble with that is, there are times when you need to list something at 99p yet the actuall item would be much more. Example of this would be fabric. I might list a sample for 99p yet the curtains might be £100 or meter of fabric £30 a meter. 

Message 49 of 128
See Most Recent

This isnt quite what OP means,

I searched for a 12v 5amp power supply, the google ad said '3.95 for a 12v 5amp power supply from ebay - great! a bargain! - remember the advert says '12v 5amp Power Supply'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19247099224

It is NOT the power supply for £3.95; its a 4 way splitter, when you select the power supply itself, the price jumps to £16.

Ive seen adverts for a £250 camera at £80, wow, another bargain! - no, the £80 is a 'variant' of the camera in that its a bag for the camera.  The camera stillcosts over £200 and the bag and camera costs £300.

The implication in each of these adverts is the main item you are looking for is very very cheap, but once you get there its not.  This is very frustrating because often the actual cost is higher than what you would get for shopping around.  Thats why they do it, to catch people shopping around looking for decent prices.  its a waste of time and annoying as hell.

Message 50 of 128
See Most Recent

I suggest everyone look elsewhere when buying. I haven't seen this type of abuse on any other selling platform I buy on or any shop retailers I know of.

eBay knows it goes on and does nothing to deter sellers from doing it, and its rampant.

It's one of the major problems when buying on eBay which drives buyers (and me included) away in terms of wasting their time, but also in the perception of overall scummyness of eBay given to potential buyers.

If ebay wants to retain buyers they need to look into it and sort it out.

Message 51 of 128
See Most Recent

I have found lovely items advertised on eBay but they are either out of stock or the sizes I choose are double the price advertised. I'm surprised that eBay doesn't step in because these are brand new pieces

Message 52 of 128
See Most Recent

Yeah it's annoying when Lego minifigures will be like £1.99 and you go into it...the £1.99 is for a leaflet!

Message 53 of 128
See Most Recent

Remember the old 99p plus £15 postage that people used to pull. As it shafted ebay, they did something about it, however in this case they dont get shafted so they dont care.

Message 54 of 128
See Most Recent

On the subject of postage, it annoys me when i make a listing and the suggested postage is for a letter.

I fell for that a few times, before i noticed the suggestions were usually miles out. I also learned that if you offer free postage, you get no more for what you're selling. Buyers just never look at the postage. If there's one item for £20.50 with free postage and another for £19.99 and £4.50 postage, 99% of the time buyers will go for the £19.99 one. If you offer free postage, buyers seem to think you get the postage for free, so don't allow for it.

Message 55 of 128
See Most Recent

I know what you mean, listings for 99p, you go into the listing and the drop down menu is only 99p for a sample, the actual product is a few quid, etc etc. 

My friend came across even worse. The listing title said "3 x " of the item AND the item description said "pack of 3", yet she was sent one. When she reported this to seller, seller said "you chose '1 piece' ". Deliberately misleading buyers both in title and description!

Message 56 of 128
See Most Recent

@oakley_home_and_gifts wrote:

Trouble with that is, there are times when you need to list something at 99p yet the actuall item would be much more. Example of this would be fabric. I might list a sample for 99p yet the curtains might be £100 or meter of fabric £30 a meter. 

Then have a seperate listing for samples. If a buyer really wants to try a fabric, if they're sensible they'll check your other listings/shop for samples.

Message 57 of 128
See Most Recent

@thankyouforthevenom11 wrote:

Buyers just never look at the postage.

Some might, yes. There are plenty who do check the postage.

Message 58 of 128
See Most Recent

@jalewis2009 wrote:

I know what you mean, listings for 99p, you go into the listing and the drop down menu is only 99p for a sample, the actual product is a few quid, etc etc. 

My friend came across even worse. The listing title said "3 x " of the item AND the item description said "pack of 3", yet she was sent one. When she reported this to seller, seller said "you chose '1 piece' ". Deliberately misleading buyers both in title and description!

That would seem to indicate your friend did not read the option she selected. Yes, the title was misleading, but the options were probably quite clear. People should take some responsibility for actually reading the information provided before buying. If they don't like what they find, or the description/title was misleading, then shop elsewhere.

Message 59 of 128
See Most Recent

No this is often just old fashioned deception. I've seen eg shoes where no combination of size and  colour are for sale at the original advertised price.  Dishonest sellers should be outed and  penalised. 

Message 60 of 128
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: