EBAY SUPPORT FOR SELLERS? NOT IN MY CASE

I recently sold an item and about 5 days after posting 2nd Class Post the buyer opened a 'not received case'.

No enquiry to me , direct thro' ebay ...which I think is bad manners and not how I tend to work.

I immediately wrote to him explaining that delays do occur with Royal Mail especially at holiday periods/bank holiday times and asked if he could update me in 3 days time and if it still  hadn't  arrived I'd send out a replacement item by 1st Class Post.   Fair?   I think so.

No update came through from buyer, indeed no response at all despite 3 attempts by me. Total silence.

I then decided to ask ebay to intervene , i.e. see if they can get a response for me.

What did ebay support do?

They refunded in full and put a 'case closed without seller resolution' mark against me.

So .... now the buyer has a full refund .... and probably the goods as well.

Before anyone says I should have paid for a tracked service, ebay is run on trust and with ebay fees and Royal Mail costs there is no margin room for a tracking service.

I feel very let down by ebay who should have to my mind asked the buyer to respond to my 'has it arrived yet?' note before crediting.

Seems to me that any one who wants free goods on ebay just has to open a dispute and then clam up.

Bingo!  Product and money back.

Little wonder there is so much seller dissatisfaction with ebay out there.

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Buyers do not even wait till 'after' estimated delivery date, not even 1 day of leaveway, its Christmas, lots of post, shall we wait a few days, no, they open a case as soon as they are able to. I block all customers who do this.

I have even had parcels 'delivered' fully tracked, pictures, gps, the lot, claims they didnt get it, and opened a chargeback, those ones 'always' ignore any communication with them.

Dealing with ebay customers has led me to belive people are made to a code, you see the same behaviour with scammers or bad people, they all have the same behaviour and communication style. Its like they are made in a factory to a design or code. Perhaps other sellers have noticed this as well.

You try and build an ebay account up with better listing, new items, items/brands no one else sells, and your account gets damaged with fraud, and then you get less impressions, its such a rigged system I see the only way is to make your own site, and get the customers yourself. eBay just gets worse and worse with fraud and greed. Its Ok as a start, but 'long term' if you have your own products, its best to sell them on your own site and promote them yourself and build your own brand.

Message 21 of 26
See Most Recent

Absolutely... You can control your own site and without eBay fees and a % you have to build in to counteract 'my item hasn't arrived' situations , you can offer items way below your eBay prices.

I once had a guy complain to me who bought from me thro eBay and then visited my site and found I was cheaper.

He asked me 'how on earth can I sell cheaper than the deal on eBay?'

Turned out he was a nice guy who had no idea ebay sellers had such high overheads and in future said he would always check out a sellers site first knowing what he knows now.

Sobering lesson there for all concerned ....

Message 22 of 26
See Most Recent

ALWAYS GO 1ST SIGNED FOR OR SPECIAL DELIVERY THE BUYER WILL ALWAYS LOOK AT WAYS TO CON THE SELLER AND EBAY WILL ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE BUYER 

Message 23 of 26
See Most Recent

@worldwidedesignerglasses wrote:

ALWAYS GO 1ST SIGNED FOR OR SPECIAL DELIVERY THE BUYER WILL ALWAYS LOOK AT WAYS TO CON THE SELLER AND EBAY WILL ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE BUYER 

Have you had a specific problem?

eBay only requires a signature on delivery for orders worth £450 or over; if the order is under £450 Tracked 24 & Tracked 48 are far superior services to 1st Class Signed For and 2nd Class Signed For. You can add a signature requirement to the Tracked services; doing so only costs pennies more than the equivalent (inferior) Signed For services.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 24 of 26
See Most Recent

Hi john435fish,

I totally agree with you on all that you stated, I have been on eBay for 20 years and have seen all the failures getting worse. I am having serious issues with the Royal Mail due to non valid stamps these stamps have been used for 18 months and the Royal Mail state non genuine and I have lost over £300.00 pound having to refund buyers but to take the biscuit they allow a buyer that purchased an item 5 days ago "I have a 3 day dispatch time set" this is totally ignored and eBay have allowed a case to be open this is "brain dead" tactics and destroys all trust for them. I also have a eBay login issue that has not been resolved with 2 of the 4 reps stating I was using profanity I said to him this in my eBay account we are talking about here and he just hung up so in a nutshell they have zero respect for any seller. Oh by the way I have 100% feedback and over 14.000 sales so why not believe me!   

Message 25 of 26
See Most Recent

Pennies to get signed for service?
When was the last time ebay went to the Post Office?
Royal Mail work in £’s now not Pennies.
Anyway, signature or not the ‘buyer’ simply says that’s not my signature and bingo , full credit on the way.
Sent from my iPhone
Message 26 of 26
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: