Duplicated listings

I have just discovered 50 duplicated listings on my account. The offending items were all listed on the same day and time as its duplicated counterpart. Now I'm 100% certain that I did not list all these identical items twice at exactly the same time. I'm therefore concluding that there is a glitch at play here because normally if you try and list an identical item twice you get a warning. 
not only am I annoyed that I've been charged twice for 50 items at 0.6 p a throw but that I may have sold these items twice when I only had one in stock therefore causing me a massive problem in terms of cancelling sales 

I'm going to make sure that I check for duplicates every month but it's very frustrating and time consuming also taking up listings in my shop which I could have used for new items. I also have no idea how long this has been going on as they are all listed till sold or cancelled automatically every month. It's very concerning to me. I wondered if anyone else had experienced this. Its definitely worth checking 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Duplicated listings

Yes, I've had it happen a few times over the last 6 months or so.

It seems to be caused by delays within eBay's system when listing or relisting an item.  eBay identifies the delay, but instead of telling you: "There may be a delay in listing this item", it tells you: "Relisting failed.  Please tick the box to try again, or else relist manually".

The seller  hits the "try again" button, or relists manually.  eBay doesn't identify this as a duplicate because the the delayed item is in some sort of limbo within its system.  So it lists the item.  The delayed item then gets listed - often with the original time (not allowing for the delay), and it doesn't get identified as a duplicate, because the check for duplicates has already been done.

Problems seem to arise:

- where a sale is cancelled (either unpaid or returned), and I tick the "refund and relist" or "relist automatically" box.  Sometimes this works OK, but sometimes it says it has failed, so I relist the item manually.  Then, at some later stage, eBay relists it automatically anyway.

- where one or more items in a bulk listing/relisting get thrown out by the system, with some daft excuse like "This item doesn't have a postage policy" or "No pictures".

It's a nuisance, and yes, I have been caught out by it a few times where both listings have sold.

eBay won't believe you, though, so the only thing is to check your listings for duplicates every month or so.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Duplicated listings

Thank you. I thought I wasn't going mad 

it's very annoying and costly too. I'm just glad I noticed it now before I sold something 

I'll definitely be running a check every month 

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: