Buyer wants to return item after 30 days return policy

Hi

I am just after some advice on what other sellers do in this situation.

I have a customer that has contacted me wishing to return an item that is a few days out of ebays 30 days return policy.

There is nothing wrong with the product itself, but the customer claims it will not fit what they need it for.  It is a large item and we sent it when they ordered next day delivery, so they did have plenty of time to decide and return.

I am  just asking how others would deal with this one, as 16 years on ebay we have been very lucky never to have a return outside the 30 days.

Thanks in advance  

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

@lincolnshiremarine wrote:

I have a customer that has contacted me wishing to return an item that is a few days out of ebays 30 days return policy.

eBay's 30 day window is from the latest estimated delivery date shown to the buyer; not 30 days following the sale. Buyers can still open return requests later than this but requests opened after this time will have an option for the seller to close the request with no obligation to refund or accept.

If the buyer has opened a return request and you can't see an option to simply close it the buyer is still within the window where they can request a return for remorse reasons that you must accept. I think the request will state "Return approved" in the subject if the buyer still has the right to return.

If the buyer is outside the 30 day window it really is up to you how you want to proceed; you can refuse their request or accept it. You're a top-rated seller so you can deduct up to 50% from the refund (subject to eBay's guidelines) covering any use or deterioration of the item but if you do this your final value fees will not be refunded.  

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

I sometimes offer the buyer and exchange to a different item, as a sort of middle ground.

Like you returns after an extended period have been very rare in my time on eBay too so I offer 60 days - encourages earlier purchase for events like Nov sales for Christmas presents.

Playing devil's advocate, what can the customer do?  Are they technically within 30 days of tracked delivery date?  Have they left feedback?  Could they damage the item and claim defective?

At the end of the day, I fundamentally believe most people are decent and opening up an email/ eBay messages exchange or picking up the phone to put the human contact part of business front and center, can create the smoothest path forwards.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

If you think its a genuine return and not a try on, not a big hit, deliver good service accept the return.

Let them know its outside your return policy and if they were to have any future needs you'd appreciate them giving you a chance of getting their business. You have a wide inventory maybe the start of a long term repeat customer?

Down side of online selling but sometimes good service gets good customers and recommendations. 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Hi

Thank you for replying, the customer is out of the 30 days by the delivery date like you have mentioned.

I would guess that he has tried to return the item via ebay official way and it does not give them the option for the reason of being over 30 days, as nothing has been opened, they just sent us a message via ebay.

Its a tricky one as I try to be fair, but they have had plenty of time to contact us via ebay. They have requested a refund and not mentioned a credit or exchange.

Best wishes

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

My own attitude would depend a lot on the buyer.  Obviously if it's a regular and polite buyer, that's a different proposition from an obnoxiously rude one-off buyer.

A middle ground might be to accept the return less P&P costs.  As long as you word it tactfully, stressing that the buyer is outside the returns period, and you are offering this as a courtesy, this may sometimes be gratefully received by the buyer.

One thing you might need to consider, is the current eBay attitude to feedback - if the buyer doesn't return it (or even if they do!) , they may leave you bad feedback on the basis of "wouldn't accept the return".  eBay may support you over this, or support the buyer, or remove the comment and leave the rating.  

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Hi

After thinking about it further, and with everyones advice on here,  I will contact them tomorrow informing them to return the item.

They were polite in the message, and as a small family business we try our best to offer great customer service too.

Thank you all for your advice.

Best wishes

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: