Advice required on a return

In more than 15 years of selling on eBay I have today been advised that a buyer is returning a book.

No problems with that however there is no discernable reason given for the return.  The return details show the following:

12 Sep
The buyer added tracking details
Comments  PUDO RETURN

Courier  CollectPlus

Reason for return  
Comments  Click and Collect Return

The above means nothing to me other than a tracking number supplied shows the book on its way back.  
The tracking number has been supplied showing that it has been accepted at the collection point.

Obviously I have requested information from the buyer with no response as yet.  The book was originally delivered on August 31st.  The buyer is also a private seller, selling mainly comics therefore not related to the items I sell.

Anyone know what PUDO RETURN means?
Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

PUDO as far as I'm aware just means "Pick up and drop off".

Message 2 of 38
See Most Recent

@therenewalworkshopltd   Thanks for that even though it doesn't help at all to knowing what the reason for return is.  I have never made a return myself but would have thought the initiation of a return through the returns process would have required a reason for the return.  Also just checked my orders in today and noticed this buyer has bought two more items just before opening the return and I am begining to wonder whether I am being used as a free library service!

Message 3 of 38
See Most Recent

They have to choose an actual reason, though they may not need to type anything in as well.

So there should be something on the return from whichever tickbox they have hit.

You possibly are being used as a library.  Just keep an eye on them and if it happens again, BLOCK! 

Message 4 of 38
See Most Recent

Maybe they changed their mind?

Is the buyer paying for the return postage? 

Message 5 of 38
See Most Recent

"Is the buyer paying for the return postage?"   -  I guess so nothing has been taken from my funds.  As you say maybe a change of mind (after a couple of weeks).  It was a 'like new' book and had never been read so I will be checking it on return.

Maybe communication isn't a strong point, I note he has received comments as a seller for not responding to issues.

@therenewalworkshopltd   "So there should be something on the return from whichever tickbox they have hit."

Nothing on the returns I haven't added other than the order number, current tracking status, buyer's name and my return address.

Message 6 of 38
See Most Recent

@therenewalworkshopltd wrote:

PUDO as far as I'm aware just means "Pick up and drop off".

One learns something here daily !

Message 7 of 38
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

I've no idea if this is the root of the problem bit it's something you need to rectify.

You are a registered business seller and looking at the first few of your listing you have - no returns accepted - which is actually illegal.

Message 8 of 38
See Most Recent

@plpmr wrote:

I've no idea if this is the root of the problem bit it's something you need to rectify.

You are a registered business seller and looking at the first few of your listing you have - no returns accepted - which is actually illegal.

Strange, that shouldn't be possible.

Just checked a few myself and they are all showing as 'returns accepted within 30 days'. 

Message 9 of 38
See Most Recent

@plpmr   All my items are 'returns accepted within 30 days' and I have always accepted returns even before I became a business seller back around 2006.  Can you provide an item number I can check - I have just checked a few and they all say returns accepted.

Message 10 of 38
See Most Recent

Here are just the first two with screenshots.

Operation Cobra – 204982086593

D-Day - 395661303662

D-Day.jpg

Operation Cobra.jpg

Message 11 of 38
See Most Recent

I think it means the buyer didn't collect within the time frame. So the store is returning it to you.

Message 12 of 38
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best   Thanks for the suggestion but it was sent to the buyer's home address by Royal Mail ; it wasn't a 'click & collect' sale.

Message 13 of 38
See Most Recent

@plpmr wrote:

Here are just the first two with screenshots.

Operation Cobra – 204982086593

D-Day - 395661303662

D-Day.jpg

Operation Cobra.jpg

They are showing correctly on the App so it must be a glitch of some sort. 

Message 14 of 38
See Most Recent

@plpmr  You are looking at my listings from a different country, Ireland, that's why you are seeing no returns.  In fact if you click on the see details you will see it is only 'change of mind returns' I don't accept on international sales which is perfectly legal.  The buyer is in the UK - returns are accepted on all my listings for UK sales.

Message 15 of 38
See Most Recent

Hi.

Do update us! I'm curious - so I went to open a return (I didn't continue past the choices) and there is no PUDO option. So the buyer shouldn't be able to get past page one. So my guess is this is an autumated return (like the reason I sugested, although I know you sent to his home address). DId you have proof of delivery to the buyer? 

Message 16 of 38
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best   Update:  Delivery confirmed 12:56 31st August.

Buyer was in touch by eBay message late last night.  Apologised and said he was unable to collect!  Maybe he had it sent to someone else for him to collect!  Or maybe he has two homes as he states he still wants to repurchase it when I receive it back and will have it sent to his home!

Very confusing, especially as to why there was no reason for the return on the return details sent by eBay.  Tracking on the return still shows it between pick up point and courier so I probably won't know any more until next week.

Message 17 of 38
See Most Recent

Right - so it sounds like the delivery was to a click and collect location who will only keep the goods for a certain amount of time, then they will be returned. Hence there being no return reason.

I would say you refund, if they want it again, they can order it again?

Message 18 of 38
See Most Recent

It wasn't sent to a collection point - it would have had the name of the collection point and an ecp number.

It was sent to a residential address and quite a plush area looking at google maps.

Message 19 of 38
See Most Recent

The buyer doesnt need a reason to return it as they are protected by uk distance selling laws.

Its not possible for sellers to make up their own terms and conditions.

Message 20 of 38
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: