Shipping costs for 100% charity donation auction

Hello, I'm about to list an item for charity which I would donate 100% of.  The item (if all goes well) may sell for £200.  International shipping may be up to £30 as Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed for the weight of the item is £26.60 including compensation up to £250.  This international postage amount is listed in the auction shipping fees.

So, if the winning bid is £200 and including postage (which is listed in the auction shipping fees) of £26.60 the total paid is £226.60.  As I have selected 100% donation to my selected charity can you confirm that I will be invoiced (or have taken from my PayPal account 21 days after the transaction is complete) the winning auction price of £200 (as opposed to the total amount paid by the winning bidder, which in this example is £226.60).

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

I don't do auctions so can't be sure but can you add global shiiping program to the auction? That way eBay would charge for international postage and keep the money so it will not be added to you. You would need to make sure dimentions and weight is correct so they can work out the cost.

Been a while since i did a charity sale but they used to take the charity party right away so if 100% to charity then you would see none of it as eBay would deduct the charity part at sale

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks for the helpful reply.  I have added shipping prices to the auction and made it live.  The auction says in a charity part of the listing "All net proceeds will support Charity Name...." so I think it should all work as expected.

I'll find out for sure in a weeks time when the auction ends but it looks promising.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I would be curious for an update once the donation goes through as to whether they took 100% net or gross. Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Right then... here's exactly what happened.  The item sold for a (superb) amount of £515.  In the auction I'd put UK shipping as £8.95.  See screenshot below...

funkinuk_0-1710486518933.png

A day or so after payment by the winner my bank account had £523.95 deposited into it.  I then paid for the item to be sent out £8.95 and sent it.  The item was received and positive feedback received.

A couple of days later the Charity Dashboard https://www.donation.ebay.co.uk/dashboard/pending showed an invoice was due to be generated.  My payment preferences are set to invoice me, and not take the money directly from my PayPal account.

I didn't want to wait around for the invoicing to happen (I think they get created automatically every two weeks or something like that) so I clicked on a link to generate and invoice me straight away.

The invoice was for £515.  Perfect.  An email with the invoice was sent to me, I clicked on a link and paid by credit card.  My ebay charity dashboard now shows the donation as paid.

funkinuk_1-1710486900844.png

I believe the charity will get the money in the next few days.

I hope this helps.  Thanks to those who replied to my initial question.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you for the comprehensive update and well done on your auction/donation. I appreciate the time you took to explain the process. Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got eBay for Charity related questions? Start here: