Whats a "bum starter"

Judging from the context where I read it, it seems to be something used in Northern pub fights. Being a Southern softy, I haven't a clue

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Whats a "bum starter"

Well I'm a southerner born n bred and I know what it means when I've either heard or used it - but it's even more odd that I couldn't direct you to use Google 'cos there doesn't seem to be a definition.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

I've used plenty of bump starters in my time but i never heard of a bum starter 😮 .

Please do not feed the Troll
Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

I seem to recall hearing it in a couple of American films.....................Usually with the bartender or bouncer, holding a big piece of wood, or baseball bat, etc, and referring to it as the bum starter when they were threatening to, or actually throwing someone out of the joint.

It may pay to ask the question on the Ebay .com site chat boards.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

up here in Geordie land it usually refurs to something not as described or something that was supposed to happen but did not. we usually say what a bummer, but bum starter is just as good. 

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

Yes pete, it's the same as saying something is a "non starter". In other words it's not going to happen!

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Never heard the expression before

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Yes pete, it's the same as saying something is a "non starter". In other words it's not going to happen!

Same meaning here MSP

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi #7, I am in stitches on the floor laughing my head off at your signature about revolving doors. good one.

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi papko, its more or less the same as saying oh crap...................oh what a bummer.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Or the thing that makes a person leap out of bed in the morning to make the first cup of tea??

Photobucket

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

#3............."Usually with the bartender or bouncer, holding a big piece of wood, or baseball bat, etc, and referring to it as the bum starter"

I knew I hadn't imagined it....................

Just watching the film “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”

The scene........The towns menfolk are gathered in the saloon for an election meeting and are a bit noisy and boisterous...............To quieten them down and bring the meeting to order John Wayne turns to the bartender and says...........”Gimme that bum starter”......The bartender hands him........

...........A long handled wooden mallet...................  :):):)

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

:^O

Petal
Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Bumstarter was used in the John Wayne movie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.Wayne used it to bang on the table to bring the people come to order.Wayne ask the bartender to give him the bumstarter. I belive it was used to open barrel ' s of beer.And sometime's for unruly patrons.
Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

Man LOLWoman LOL   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

003.JPG

No, your all wrong.   Here's a ''BUM starter''.

See geo, #4, it pays to ask the question on here Man Wink

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

I liken it to a damp squib
a situation or event which is much less impressive than expected.
Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

RC

When I was youing we called Bangers (firecracker) a Squib, seemed to be a Glasgow thing

Found out a few years ago

'Squib' was one of the largest Gunpowder makers in the US, who also used to make Fireworks

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

You can buy a 'Bum Starter Kit'  The new name for reusable (lined) diapers

Bum Starter Kit.png

But I would go for a Beach bum starter House

Beach bum starter house.jpg

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

You have misheard it. it is actually a BUNG STARTER or large wooden mallet
Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent