The British Legion Poppy appeal

Up until recently Poppies came in simple forms and you could buy them in various public outlets, shops schools and so on. I know that years ago many poppies were made by ex servicemen. Our contributions would go to the British Legion . Recently there has been an emergence of poppies in different formats, from enamelled metal to jewel encrusted examples, many of which can be seen here at ebay and they invariably are described as British Legion Poppies. I asked one Chinese seller what % of the selling price went to the British Legion but have not had a response. So is it open season and are our heroic servicemen just being used to line the pockets of today's new breed of entrepreneurs?
Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

If you sell individual poppys, almost 100% should go the the legion,but if you sell bulk poppies then surely its up to whoever then sells them on that pays to the British Legion is it not.

If 1000 poppies from China are sold here as single poppies then surely the British Legion would get a large percentage of that as bonus.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Possibly, and of course potential suppliers need to cover their costs and a bit beside, but there are plenty of examples of individual poppies being sold which appear to be milking a sales opportunity.
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

You can buy enamelled and jewelled poppies direct from the British Legion...they have an online shop and even produce a catalogue of their jewellery items ...poppy brooches , cufflinks , earrings, pins etc ...

They bring out new styles every year . Have bought brooches directly from their site myself ....many of them were sold out a couple of weeks ago ...they could surface on eBay as they could attract a premium ...
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Excuse me for digressing slightly, but there's a good program on BBC 1 every day at 7pm; in 5 parts, each one half an hour long. It's a bit stark and emotionally wrenching, but a good few people ( including those under 40 ish ) could do with watching it............it's about WW1 and anybody watching it, will see why we NEVER want to do that ever again............last part tomorrow,

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Yes a very good programme, one of a number this year that have re focused attention on the horrors of WW1.
Another reminder that is even more impressive is the Tower if London, what a poignant and appropriate display.
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

I buy enamel Poppy badges from Poppy Scotland usually  about 25 of them, a few for my jackets and one I wear on my shirts

This years poppyscotland-wreath-pin.jpg

I carry a few and if people like them, I get a fiver off them for one

I then, a few days before the 11th stick it all in a Tin of an Ex-Serviceman, outside the Supermarket

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

We have the pins, wrist bands and lots of normal poppies bought from official sellers. I had a long chat with an ex service man the other night who came to the door he had brought his medals to start conversations he was in Bosnia and Northern Ireland. It was facinating.
Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

That's nice Ed, if people took the time to listen to these veterans they too would understand why it's important to support them, I never buy a Poppy from the shop I always either go to an ex serviceman or the soldiers in the square , I didn't know about the other sellers getting a cut from contributions so I'm even more glad that I get mine from the above!.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent