Shop staff given targets to put themselves out of work!

a sign at the Lewisham branch showing a target for 59 per cent of customers to use the self-service tills.

The Greens' Brockley election candidate Violeta Vadja said: "The savings from replacing staff with self-service tills aren't being passed on to customers and clearly aren't being passed on to staff.

"Giving shop staff targets for use of these machines is, in effect, giving them a target to do themselves out of job in one of London's lowest paid boroughs."

sainsburyst.jpg

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11111616.Self_service_checkouts__putting_people_out_of_work__say_L...

Eventually when most supermarkets have these machines instead of staff,who'll be left to buy the food? Henry Ford had the best idea,pay the workers enough so they can afford to buy the products in the first place

We are many,They are few
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

These contraptions are prevalent everywhere now. They even have one in W H Smiths. I only ever used one once - against my better judgment - and the thing started to scream out, 'Unidentified object in bagging area'. An assistant who came to help said they were always doing that. By the time she'd fiddled around pressing buttons, I could have been through the proper checkout, and halfway home. They're an abomination.

Mister EMB

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate the things!

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

The Supermarket association, always play the statistics game, when pushing these things - 40% of our customers use them

Yes the people picking up a small basket of items or the lunchtime crowd picking up a sandwitch and a drink

Hate them with a passion

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

I point blank refuse to have anything to do with them.  It's a clever ploy from the head office because not only does it cut down on staff - one assistant at hand for four machines should you need assistance (and you invariably do),  by the time you've pressed finish, paid your money, in nine cases out of ten you're left holding a Nectar card and a £1.50 parking ticket.

"How do I get my money back, and how do I update my Nectar car?"  You'll ask, only to be told that you should have done this and that before paying the bill.

"You'll have to see Customer Services for that."  At the other end of the store where one young kid is standing there trying to sort out the problems of about eight people and is slow.  Despairing, at least half the peiople can't be bothered to wait.  

As somebody used as their signature pointed out: self-service is no service.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent