See.. im not on my own.

Godless UK: A quarter of Britons have no religion with Christians increasingly likely to be retired people
One in four people in Britain no longer believes in any religionFigure rises to more than a third of under 25s2011 census shows number of Christians fell by 4.1million

One in four people no longer believes in any religion, official analysis of national census returns found yesterday.

It revealed Christianity is in decline and Christians are increasingly likely to be older or retired people.

Many young people, young men in particular, appear to be rejecting religious belief altogether. Nearly one in three under-25s – 32 per cent – say they do not have a religion.

Dwindling: The number of Christians in Britain has fallen by 4.1million in the past decade

The rise of atheism has gathered pace in the decade since 2001, the census showed, a period when churches found themselves under pressure from equality laws and secular groups.

At the same time the UK’s second-biggest religion, Islam, frequently found itself on the defensive because of the actions of extremist groups.

The 2011 census showed the number of Christians fell by 4.1million to 33.2million. Of these, only a third attend church outside of weddings, baptisms or funerals.

Read more: 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325838/Godless-UK-A-quarter-Britons-religion-Christians-inc...

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

See.. im not on my own.

flower-buds

Me! church! bah! I like a lay in on sunday mornings:^O

Things are beautiful if you love them
Message 2 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Gawd - what a mangled set of statistics :_|

HUGS help us grow stronger

There's one race - the HUMAN race
Message 3 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

mmmmmmmmmmm.

Some really interesting and not at all surprising statistics.

If it is a subject of interest though, perhaps the reasons behind those statistics would be something to discuss.

One thing I would suggest is that it is because those religions are failing their followers, not giving them the answers and spiritual food that they clearly were seeking.:-x

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 4 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

mmmmmmmmmmm.

Some really interesting and not at all surprising statistics.

If it is a subject of interest though, perhaps the reasons behind those statistics would be something to discuss.

One thing I would suggest is that it is because those religions are failing their followers, not giving them the answers and spiritual food that they clearly were seeking.:-x

Could be some were seeking small boys and people turned against them..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 5 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

All I can say is "Thank God I'm an Atheist"   ]:)

In excrecia profundum variat
Message 6 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

The statistics quoted in post #1 are mangled, and open to different spin. This is wisely pointed out by welsh.goddess, in #2.

For example, consider this statement quoted in #1:

"The 2011 Census showed the number of Christians fell...to 33.2 million". Sounds bad?

But consider - the population of Britain is about 60 million. So the statement could have been put this way:

"The 2011 Census showed that the majority of people in Britain are still Christians"

Sounds much better!

Message 7 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics......

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Prefer Aesop, myself. Certainly his fables had more substance. Although saying that, so too had Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales.

Mister EMB

Message 9 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in Fairies... 😮

Message 10 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Ronny...I believe in fairies..there are 20,000 here for Gay Pride.. next you will be telling me there is no Father Christmas.

Message 11 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Ronny...I believe in fairies..there are 20,000 here for Gay Pride.. next you will be telling me there is no Father Christmas.

Message 12 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

10phizz
Conversationalist

Careful now Ronny, there are some on here would be horrified at the thought LOL

Message 13 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Im a christin but cannt get to a church due to my disability.

Churches are not disabled freindly in the town I live except one but I've been to that church and the people who were preaching werent saying what I beleived.

I cant say exactly hat but i wasnt happy with what was being said.

Yes they were talking about the God I beleive in but othr things said that I didnt bleive in.

Yes I know everybody is different and think differently but what was said didnt encourage me to beleive any more.

No it didnt stop me beleiving but Ive not been back to that church (which was held in the school I went to).

Message 14 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Just imagine all the  pointless Crusades, Battles, Wars, mass persecution, and loss of life that could have been avoided, if their was no such thing as religion...

?:|

Message 15 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Without religion, wouldn't all humans be like animals - just feeding, fighting, and copulating.

Religion has inspired some humans to rise above such behaviour.

So surely the religious line can't be altogether dismissed?

Message 16 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

With or without religion, that's all humans are Malacandran! Religion may have inspired some to rise above such behaviour, but equally I think it's fair to say that others hide behind the veil of religion to carry out despicable acts. Religion has been a shield for some of the worst atrocities in history.

Whilst I realise that religion brings a lot of comfort to a lot of people, personally I don't need a spokesperson for an imaginary spiritual "being" to tell me how to be a good person. Most of us are good people having learned that from our families and by example. It's just a matter of understanding for each other, treating the planet and its inhabitants with respect and consideration.

Photobucket

Message 17 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Anonymous
Not applicable

#15, was it not those religious people ie  the church that would brand you a demon or a witch or even excommunicate you if you said the sun was at the centre of the solar system NOT the earth or heal people using herbs or offer a different proposal to that of the bible. seems to me the church has a lot to answer before passing judgement on people.

btw, I am an atheist, and take offence of being called an animal a brute and a whore, religion for me is the cause of mankind's trouble, and without religion I live a normal none abusive lifestyle unlike the peadophile's that seem to be found within "god's" house.

Message 18 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

With or without religion, that's all humans are Malacandran! Religion may have inspired some to rise above such behaviour, but equally I think it's fair to say that others hide behind the veil of religion to carry out despicable acts. Religion has been a shield for some of the worst atrocities in history.

Whilst I realise that religion brings a lot of comfort to a lot of people, personally I don't need a spokesperson for an imaginary spiritual "being" to tell me how to be a good person. Most of us are good people having learned that from our families and by example. It's just a matter of understanding for each other, treating the planet and its inhabitants with respect and consideration.

Yes well said Pix.

'And treating the planet and it's inhabitants with respect and consideration.' 

#15 'without religion, wouldn't all human beings be like animals - just feeding, fighting, and copulating. Religion has inspired some human beings to rise above such behaviour. So surely the religious line can't be altogether dismissed'    'some rise above such behavour'   er... and some not to.

Without RELIGION ?!  Some of us might be sensible enough to deal with it.

And as Pix,  says I don't need a spokesperson for an imaginary spiritual ''being'' to tell me how to be a good person.

Wouldn't animals be doing what nature intended them to do? Of course they have no say in the matter if it displeases YOU!  (talk about giving trying to give a dumb animal a bad   name)  Why are you picking on them? Not one animal that has ever shared this earth has had one ounce of EVIL.

And  Elephants, are one  of my  favourites   😉 

Message 19 of 47
See Most Recent

See.. im not on my own.

Just imagine all the  pointless Crusades, Battles, Wars, mass persecution, and loss of life that could have been avoided, if their was no such thing as religion...

?:|

And there is still people fighting over religion..

Message 20 of 47
See Most Recent