RIP Charles Kennedy 1959-2015

The most prominent Politician to oppose events in Iraq dies suddenly leaving a wife and 10 year old son. Thoroughly decent man and victim of Scotlands one party state losing his seat after 30 years. 

He will be missed RIP.

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

He will indeed. R.I.P
Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

Sadly, he was a victim of alcohol.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

Very sad to hear, he was a true man of and for the people he represented,  a real rarity in politics.

RIP

Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

Tributes are pouring in from all parties. He's even had a mention for being the best of the politicians to have hosted the TV programme 'HIGNFY', saying that his unscripted and 'off-the-cuff' remarks were both funny and self deprecating.

R.I.P.

Mister EMB

Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

Well said Embs.

Meanwhile north of the border Alex Salmond cannot help himself, even in death he seizes an opportunity to promote his dictatorship whilst disrespecting a decent man:

Salmond says former Lib Dem leader's heart was 'not in the Better Together campaign', comments which...

And a couple of classic Charles Kennedy Pics

ck.jpg

ck1.png

Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

Alastair Cambell wrote a beautiful and very touching article

Alastair Cambell's tribute

and Nick Clegg has given a very moving interview in which he acknowledges Charles Kennedy as way above himself

Nick Clegg interview in Telegraph

I have nothing remotely decent that I can say about that other 'fish' politician.

I believe Scotland will come to rue the day they destroyed a lot of very good politicians who had served them well, for the sake of a murky and bigotted fanaticism.

That is what 'did' for Charles Kennedy - a sickness far more destructive and wide reaching that is going to affect a whole load of people yet.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

That doesn't surprise me in the least, Archie. Sly, snide, and insidious.. A horror in a suit. And for creepiness, he can run rings around Peter Mandelson.

Mister EMB

Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

He came across,to me at least as a decent and principlined man,he was against joining the coalition,and also against the Iraq war, i read a story of him being invited to downing street to view the "WMD" intelligence reports,he was worried on the way there that the evidence would be overwhelming and his party would have to support the war,but when he viewed the reports he found them totally unconvincing,he told Blair this which shook Blair,who reminded Kennedy he wasn't allowed to mention what he'd seen.

You have to be sickened by some of the media reports singing his praises whilst not long ago showing photos of him in close up sweating and battling not just his political foes but his own personal demons.Hypocrites.Clegg wasn't fit to tie his shoe-laces,which is why he ended up tying Camerons

We are many,They are few
Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

As the Sun sets once more Scotland has lost a good man here are three more pictures the first a typical CK Quote, the second of him in thought and the third what Scots have inherited.

ck4.jpg

ck2.jpg

ck5.jpg

Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

Another two articles

Political-leaders-pay-tribute

The only sour note of the day came after Alex Salmond, the former Scottish first minister, said that Kennedy’s heart had not been in the pro-UK Better Together campaign during last year’s independence referendum campaign.

Sir Menzies Campbell, who succeeded Kennedy as Lib Dem leader in 2006, said: “Mr Salmond’s intervention is ill judged. Today is a day for fond memories and respect. Anything else today is out of order … ”

Paddy-Ashdown tribute

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

R.I.P. Charles

A World class debater

------------------------------------

Stabbed in the back by people who then took over the Party, sold out for the Tory shilling 

There by, destroying 40 years of hard fought gains.

Message 12 of 28
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:

The most prominent Politician to oppose events in Iraq dies suddenly leaving a wife and 10 year old son. Thoroughly decent man and victim of Scotlands one party state losing his seat after 30 years. 

He will be missed RIP.

I thought I read somewhere that Kennedy's opposition was of little consequence compared to Robin Cook's resignation speech over the Iraq war?  Well Googl'e these words: ''Robin Cook's Resignation Speech.'' This was in the House of Commons. When you find time (10-minutes) watch it and listen closely. They actually applauded him. If only they had done more? Even that wonderful speech was not enough So Blair and Bush got their bloody ''illegal'' war. Now look at the state most of our world is in. ''WEAPONS OF MASS DISTRUCTION''? Yes, Blair and Bush. They are not suffering now. Saddam Hussein was never going to start a war that would mean certain destruction of himself, and his country. 

Kennedy was a thoroughly decent man R.I.P  Charlie.

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

The thing that strikes me, is that when any prominent person dies, the news media always praise the person

Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

Yes I remember the praise heaped upon Saddam, Idi, Adolph, Gaddafi,Pinochet.

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

They were on the losing side. So they got bad-mouthed,

If they'd been on the winning side, they'd be heroes.

Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

That's because winners can be hero's unless of course they cheat. 

Charles Kennedy was a decent man, flawed in some ways but that made him human and normal. He was also a man of principle who did not allow external pressures to sway him away from his beliefs. At this time let us acknowledge and celebrate his life and show respect for his family. If you feel it necessary to offer up trite comments then remember there is a time and a place.

Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:

That's because winners can be hero's unless of course they cheat. 

Charles Kennedy was a decent man, flawed in some ways but that made him human and normal. He was also a man of principle who did not allow external pressures to sway him away from his beliefs. At this time let us acknowledge and celebrate his life and show respect for his family. If you feel it necessary to offer up trite comments then remember there is a time and a place.

I think you're the one who's offering up "trite comments".

I don't want to "celebrate the life" of a drunk politician. 

Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

says the person who posted only recently ..............

in reply to fallen-archie

I never post on here, except when I'm drunk.

laughing1.gif

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

The Daily Mails coverage of Him since His death, has been despicable.

The gutter is the Heavens, compared to how low they have gone

Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent