MAJOR EFFORTS MUST BE MADE TO PROTECT THE FUTURE INTEGRITY OF OLD COIN COLLECTING!!

HELLO OLD COIN COLLECTORS...

EBAY DO TRY VERY, VERY HARD TO PROTECT THEIR CUSTUMERS FROM FRAUDULENT HARM, AND FOR THIS, I THANK, AND COMMEND THEM FOR THEIR STERLING EFFORTS, BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT MEASURES MUST BE TAKEN NOW, AT THIS PRESENT TIME, TO LOBBY GOVERNING AUTHORITIES, IN ORDER TO PROTECT THEIR CUSTOMERS, (NOT ONLY NOW, BUT ALSO THEIR CUSTOMERS OF THE FUTURE), FROM WHAT I PERCIEVE TO BE A VERY SERIOUS, AND LOOMING PROBLEM.. I BELIEVE THAT BIG EFFORTS MUST BE MADE NOW, (ALSO BY BUYERS, AND SELLERS) TO STEM FUTURE FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY WHICH WILL BE PERPETRATED BOTH, (KNOWINGLY, AND UNKNOWINGLY)...

I WOULD LIKE TO HIGHLIGHT WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE VERY SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES, WHICH WILL COME TO PASS, (IN AN EVER GROWING MEASURE) AS A RESULT OF (LEGAL COIN REPRODUCTIONS) BEING LOOSED INTO THE WORLD OF COIN COLLECTING.. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALL (COPY COINS) MADE WITH OBVIOUS COPY MATERIALS, A MATERIAL WHICH WILL EASILY BE ASSERTAINED AS NOT BEING GENUINE..

IN RELEASING THESE (OVER REALISTIC) REPRODUCTION/COPY COINS INTO THE COIN COLLECTING WORLD WE ARE SOWING BITTER SEEDS, WHICH WILL RESULT IN PROFOUND, AND HEARTBREAKING FUTURE PROBLEMS, AND WILL, (AS I HAVE ALREADY SAID) BE EVIDENT AN AN EVER INCREASING WAY AS YEARS, DECADES, AND CENTURIES COME AND GO...

IN THE FUTURE I PREDICT A GREAT NUMBER OF "FRAUDULENT" AND "UNSAFE" COIN TRANSACTIONS TAKING PLACE TO THE GREAT UNHAPPINESS OF A GREAT NUMBER OF PEOPLE, (INCLUDING EBAY, WHO WILL FIND THEMSELVES WASTING AN EVER INCREASING AMOUNT OF TIME, TRYING TO MEDIATE BETWEEN SELLER, AND BUYER, WHERE AN EXPERT WILL BE REQUIRED TO ASSERTAIN WHETHER THE PURCHASE BE GENUINE OR NOT)... IF THE COIN IS JUDGED TO BE A REPRODUCTION, THE SELLER WILL BE ABLE TO SAY, "OH, I DID NOT KNOW", ALL BECAUSE OF THE OVER REALISTIC NATURE OF A REPRODUCTION COIN...

I HAVE SEEN MANY OF THESE "REPRODUCTION" COINS", AND I FIND IT VERY, VERY DIFFICULT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND THE GENUINE ARTICLE... I BELIEVE THAT THIS CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!... MANY OLD COIN PURCHASERS OF THE FUTURE WILL ONE DAY SAY, "WHY DID THE AUTHORITIES PERMIT THESE "LEGAL FORGERIES" TO BE LOOSED INTO THE WORLD OF COIN COLLECTING... THE (R) = REPRODUCTON, OR (C) = COPY, WHICH SOME REPRODUCTION COMPANIES INCORPORATE WITHIN THEIR DESIGNS CAN, AND WILL BE REMOVED WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE APPEARANCE OF THE COPY COIN, DUE TO THEIR INCORPORATED TIME WORN APPEARANCE...

IF FUTURE PROBLEMS CAN BE FORSEEN WITHIN THE WORLD OF COIN COLLECTING TODAY, THEN SURELY WE SHOULD ACT AND STOP IT!!.. SURELY, IT MUST BE OUR RESPONSIBILTY TO PROTECT THE FUTURE INTEGRITY OF OLD COIN COLLECTING...

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

MAJOR EFFORTS MUST BE MADE TO PROTECT THE FUTURE INTEGRITY OF OLD COIN COLLECTING!!

There is a danger of reproduction coins being innocently bought by amateur coin collectors as the real thing.  While such coins bear the letter C - copy or R - reproduction, unscrupulous dealers are often able to remove these telltale signs and adequately disguise them by "damaging" them slightly.  Like the fake £1.00 coins (made of lead and sprayed gold) that came onto the market when they first appeared, the discerning collector should keep a wary eye on what would appear to be too good to be true at a much reduced price.

There, Chris.  Exactly what you had suggested, but in one-fifth the number of words, and no yelling - use of capital letters throughout.  In other words, get to the point in the first sentance! 

As an aside, the same could be said about collecting old medals.  You've got to keep your eyes open and common sense engaged.  If you see a bloke selling an Iron Cross on a coins and medals stall at Victoria Station or Portobello Road for £30.00, then OBVIOUSLY common sense should prevail!

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Hello.. Thanks very much for your feedback.. I agree that I did tend to meander somewhat in my write-up, but at the same time a great deal more was said in my write-up than you have said in your summery of my write-up, I suppose I did'nt consider it as being a major publication piece and worthy of extreme care.. Concerning my use of capital letters throughout, I personally do not find myself getting upset if ever I view it, it does not seem to bother me like it tends to bother some people..

Concerning my copy coin piece, I believe that legislation is required to make all new copy coins out of a durable plastic type material perhaps.. People who buy copy coins should not expect such ownership equality for their £1.99 purchase..

Thank you very much for responding to my message.. I like yourself am nothing without God.. God bless you.. Chris

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to knock you!  Man LOL  I responded in a tongue-in-cheek fashion - it was quite wrong of me rib you in that manner.  I think it being made of plastic is an excellent idea.  No plastic will register on a metal detector, and while the size and sharpness would lose nothing, the lightness of a plastic "coin" would give the game away immediately.

A lot more difficult to determine would be the authenticity of not only medals but horse furniture - brasses, crotel bells etc.  that sort of thing.  Most places along Portebello Road are on the level, although you'd get no bargains - you pay top prices in that area.  Keep your eyes skinned at boot sales - not collectors fairs.  Again they tend to inflate the prices.

Once again, no offence meant - it's my droll sense of humour.

Peace be with you.  Your Brother in Christ.   Fred  (Born-again2003)

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Chris, I collect coins myself, and would have no objection to a plastic reproduction of a rare coin where I would not be able to afford the real thing.  This would go in my album for illustation purposes, and would be better that just a picture on paper.

I have noticed a lot of coins listed on here, by what I assume to be honest sellers, as Fantasy coins.

Are these the ones you are referring to.

There is a similar problem with stamps such at 1d black etc, there are reproductions on sale, but they are described as Forgeries.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Dear Brother Fred.. I am so glad that you are born again, and that you have been sealed, (the mark of Gods ownership) by the Holy Spirit..  My glorious encounter with the Lord Jesus took place in 1984, Wow!!!, and it is my testimony to say that he has stayed stuck, and that God is faithful..

God bless you Fred.. I look forward to meeting you one day in the place where oppression can not exist... Chris

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Hello thanks for your reply.. I am referring to any overly realistic, (ie, copy coins with a time worn appearance).. Collectable old old coins have journied to our day for hundreds of years, and it would not be unimaginable that these coins could continue journeying hundreds of years into the future.. If this irresponsible (LEGAL) copy coin policy continues then only "heartbreaking and confusion" will result.. That is why I want to see a really big fuss start to happen.. This future dangers of copy coin fraud seems so obvious to me, I can not understand why fear over the future integrity of coin collecting is not more evident.. Thanks for responding.. Yours faithfully.. Chris

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

I think it being made of plastic is an excellent idea.  No plastic will register on a metal detector, and while the size and sharpness would lose nothing, the lightness of a plastic "coin" would give the game away immediately.

I remember a friend back in the late 60s when elastomer resin first came on the market, using coins in his first trials.

He made some beautiful resin threepenny bits.

Ah, the old threepenny bits - that brings back memories, doesn't it Man Happy   I haven't got any of those now.  Or what about the florin - same value as a 2/- piece.  Then of course there was that most trusted of all predecimal coins, the 6d.  Woolworths actually ran a large section of it's store above which a large sign appeared: "50 ways to spend 6d."  Yes, they actually found fifty items in their store that cost 6d, most of them confectionary items.  You used to be able to buy four black chews for a penny.  The forerunner of a Corneto, filled from the bottom right to the top was called a Saucy Tanner - it cost 7d.  Those were the days, where a semi-detached council house would cost £2.10/- a week.  Yes, I know: I'm very old!  I've got a silly smile on my face, remembering back.  Sorry, I don't mean to digress.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Hello Fred.. Yes, I remember when, during bonfire time, I could buy, "12 penny bangers" for a shilling, mars bars were thrupunse, a visit to the cinema was 1/3, a "football match" was, 2/6, and on a friday night folks could have a "good night out", and have fish and chips on the way home... On the down side though, things like tellies could be very expensive then.

Ah well, thats enough reminiscing.. Take good care, and God bless you... Chris

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

I missed saying that folks could have a good friday night out, over indulge somewhat by having "seven pints" of good ale, and have "fish and chips" on the way home for a quid..

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

I think you're way out there.

Seven pints was around seven or eight shillings and fish and chips were certainly not costing twelve bob or more!!!!  F & C would be between a shilling and one-and-six.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

suppose it depends what decade one is thinking of, I suppose a 100 year old person could say, "cryky, you are both well of the mark, a decent pint was only 1/-"

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

"Concerning my use of capital letters throughout, I personally do not find myself getting upset if ever I view it, it does not seem to bother me like it tends to bother some people."

Doesn't bother me at all. I just don't read it

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Frederick ! what about half pennies ? I remember those black chews, blackjacks I think they were called. What about 1d caramels when you halved them by holding them in the wrapper and broke them on the edge of the pavement and huge gobstoppers that changed colour as you sooked them !

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

AN ATTITUDE YOU MUST BE PROUD OF, OH, DID YOU READ THIS?

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Lets not forget "Fruit Salads", (4 for 1d), and that tobacco type sweet called, "Spanish Gold", and those sweets that were made to look like a packet full of cigarettes, oh and those "Aztec Bars" wernt on the market for long were they, oh and very finally, just one more thing, why is it so hard to get a big load of "Scrumps" with your chips these days?..

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent