Is ageism alive and kicking?

A chap I know professionally and have for around 12 years has just been told he has to reapply for his job or take demotion. He has spent more than 40 years with the company, works long hours is physically and mentally on his game. He has worked his way up to middle management by merit and has delivered on just about every demand ever faced. Three years ago he got a new line manager, he was some twenty years younger but was employed under a new regime of corporate and very highly paid graduates. The area managed by the long serving employee performed out of its skin, good staff relations, flexible working, efficient etc etc. this while other areas performed really badly, new appointments came and went with little progress made, Bit by bit the new guy started to pick on the success saying it was not as rosy as it appeared, it got worse culminating in work programs made behind closed doors and presented as a fait accomplis. This has now reached a head and the possibility of redundancy. I'm no Dinosaur when it comes to business but this type of behaviour smacks of unfairness and is completely unnecessary,
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Happens all the time nowadays. Really sad.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Smiley Sadtell me about it,I new i should have payed more attention in language classes

Petal
Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

A few years ago, a friend of a friend was unemployed and desperate for a job, so was willing to try anything

He applied to macdonalds, but was told that he was too old.

Approaching retirement?  No, he was the grand age of 26

Photobucket
Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

'Graduate'. Sounds like a nice boy. Appears to be one of those jumped-up, sly and insidious little creeps who doesn't care who he clambers over, in order to achieve his own goals. Was this suit brought in to the firm new, or already an employee ?

Anyway, looks as though all those years of loyal and productive employment by your friend, counts for zilch with the top brass. An appalling and disgusting way to treat a member of staff, particularly someone of his calibre. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Mister EMB

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent