Global Corruption.

David Cameron is urging a global crackdown on corruption in the wake of the FIFA scandal. Would it not be a good idea for that to begin with the EU, whose books have not been satisfactorily audited for 18 years. Do we really want to remain in an organisation that is rife with fraud and corruption? Maybe that should be one of his required changes before the question is put to the British public?
Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Global Corruption.

Never mind Global or EU corruption ! What about UK government corruption ? Like bailing out the bankers and now going to sell the shares at a loss ! Who will buy them ? the bankers and buddies of Osborne etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but do these shares not belong to the public as it was public money that bought them, therefore should not the public have a say in whether they should be sold or not ? It seems not ! The government decide they are going to use our money to buy shares and with a bit of prudent thought decide to sell them at a loss while penalising the less well off hard working and truly disabled people of this country.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Global Corruption.

@dark_castle1 wrote:

Never mind Global or EU corruption ! What about UK government corruption ? Like bailing out the bankers and now going to sell the shares at a loss ! Who will buy them ? the bankers and buddies of Osborne etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but do these shares not belong to the public as it was public money that bought them, therefore should not the public have a say in whether they should be sold or not ? It seems not ! The government decide they are going to use our money to buy shares and with a bit of prudent thought decide to sell them at a loss while penalising the less well off hard working and truly disabled people of this country.

Yes, I think you are correct on your comment.  Well said castle. 

I'm sure though that astro, would mind about all three.

In short, corruption cannot be effectively fought on a country-by-country basis.  Government's must unite to create an objective agency that has the power to fight corruption. If nothing is done, the $30,000,000,000,000 ($30 trillion) that has been lost to corruption in the last 15 years will seem minimal compared to what will be lost in the future. And the biggest loser will be the average, tax-paying citizen. 

Ideally, lawyers and accountants should follow strict codes of conduct, but often they are willing to turn aside ethics for extra fees. This problem, combined with underfunded and overworked government agencies, results in overwhelming amount of inaction.

000_0014.JPG

And in the European Union my Government will....

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Global Corruption.

I don't think we can ever get rid of corruption, in an absolute sense.

Because when humans get into power, they inevitably use their power to benefit themselves, and exploit the weaker people.

That's what "power" means - making the weak ones, bend to your will.  And do what you want, not what they want.

Obviously, this is just a part of human nature.  We all like the thrill of power. But politicians experience this thrill especially strongly, when the electorate actually votes for them.  This must give politicians huge satisfaction, when the weak ones actually ask to get trodden on!

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent