Everyone forgotten what day it is?

It's the 6th of June, it was D-Day 71 years ago.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

11062093_1078317752197570_2423799343321921576_n.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

11377343_1078276958868316_3281593400000629482_n.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

11406401_1078260132203332_3679264542475707460_n.jpg

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Well done Tommy and thank you.

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

6th of June 1944 !   War was over by the time you showed up . Kursk was July 1943 , Stalingrad was Feb 1943 !

everything was done and dusted the year before .

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

I doubt the fact Germany's syrrender was in 1945,then months later Japans surrender then later still Russias eventual victory over the German corps who didn't surrender making it almost 1946,then of course straight off the bat to the suez war ,has any effect on all done and dusted in 1943 .?

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

footnote

I am a bit concerned the moderators havent edited my post for me on my mispelt syrrender...they have everything else I post 😄

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

@papko wrote:

6th of June 1944 !   War was over by the time you showed up . Kursk was July 1943 , Stalingrad was Feb 1943 !

everything was done and dusted the year before .

That's true.  WWII was really won on the Eastern Front,  at Stalingrad and Kursk, in 1943. Those massive victories by the Red Army "tore the guts out of the German Army".  As even Churchill was forced to admit.

So by the time the Allies landed in Normandy in 1944, they had a soft job.  Germany had already been defeated by the Red Army. The main purpose of the D-Day landings, was to set up a bulwark in France,  so as stop the Red Army advancing to the Channel.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Ehhh....nope .

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

WW2 was won on many fronts least of all the front no-one knew about and that was the front which decoded the encrypted enemy messages at Bletchley Park allowing the Allies to accurately target attacks on both land and sea.

If Russia won the war on the Eastern front, would they have done so without the Allied convoys which took them supplies? Could Russia have "won the war" without the Allies distracting the enemy in diverting many, many troops and weaponry in North Africa, Italy and along the west coast of France? Don't be stupid, of course they couldn't.

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

WW2 was won on many fronts least of all the front no-one knew about and that was the front which decoded the encrypted enemy messages at Bletchley Park allowing the Allies to accurately target attacks on both land and sea.

If Russia won the war on the Eastern front, would they have done so without the Allied convoys which took them supplies? Could Russia have "won the war" without the Allies distracting the enemy in diverting many, many troops and weaponry in North Africa, Italy and along the west coast of France? Don't be stupid, of course they couldn't.

cee-dee, the messages decoded by Bletchley Park didn't affect the Russian front.

That was where the war was fought and won.  The allied convoys gave some material assistance to the Russians. But it wasn't crucial.

Even without such assistance, the Russians would've beaten Germany.  We just sat on the side, avoided casualities, and decoded messages.  A soft option.  

Why not compare how many Russians died winning the war, as compared to Americans.

Isn't it true, that in the Second World War, the Americans suffered fewer casualities than in their 1860's Civil War?

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Saints preserve us. Many of the decoded messages were used to locate the positions of U-Boats awaiting the convoys heading to.................. Russia. So how did that not affect the Russian front?

Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

I don't think the convoys altered the outcome of the war.  Except in this sense - they made Stalin feel that he was still getting some support.

Otherwise, he might have given up, or retreated over the Urals.  Or signed a new pact with Hitler, after conceding the Ukraine. 

That might have been a satisfactory outcome.

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Stalin was getting plenty of support in 41 and 42 off hitler ...they were allies 🙂

The war was fought and won by everyone who,refused to roll over,and the Australians,Canadians and Irish who fought on the heavily defended false landing beaches ,keeping the Germans occupied so the rest could break through and help the battling Russian's amongst others..I think those heroes and giants of the human race in bravery and self pride honour and sacrifice...may have had a hand in it as well and of course the other million or so RIP solders .

Bottom line is 1943 saw the axis warring with itself that gave the allies a chance (first one since 38) ,one that took the best part of the rest of the 20th century to truly put to bed and it still rears its head now and then

'War won in 1943 my aunty'  .

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

footnote to Malac... war aside ,calling CD ''that American lady'' has made me giggle for 3 hours .... ta 😄

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Could "The Allies " have "won the war" without the Russians  distracting the enemy in diverting many, many troops and weaponry in Eastern Europe   ?      Don't be stupid, of course they couldn't.

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Without being stupid,yes of course the allies could have won ,what on gods earth makes you think they couldn't ? 

Valiance the German army and its axis allies were losing in droves by 1944,why do you think they kept trying to kill Herr leader ? On the other hand ,everyone against them (French a good example here) were gritting in and showing no retreat no surrender,facing impossible tech odds. Too right and a bit the Allies would have won without Russia's involvement ,the Russians would also have eventually won ,if it were a two horse war...,but it wasn't so I doubt without (all the actual things that happened) Russia would have held on forever, vallient as they were.

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

footnote

Had the Russian's stayed allied to the axis and Hitler..'.then', I doubt the allies of the west would have won.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent