Do they deserve any sympathy?.

£50,000 spent/wasted in 8 months.

Sounds a fortune but with no other money coming in not enough to last a lifetime.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lottery-couple-who-blew-50k-winnings-are-refused-143221503.html

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

They could have used the money to buy a house..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Hiya.    To be honest it looks as if the Benefits Agency are just doing their job. 

They just want proof that they have actually spent all the money before they will consider another claim.  

Sympathy for just blowing all the cash...no but this often happens if someone is not used to having money 😞

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

In view of their situation..the money could have been better spent trying to start some kind of small business

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

There's an old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Another was that if at midnight you distributed all the money in the World equally among the population, by noon 90% would be back in the hands of the rich. (There's a few versions of that).

So, no, I've no sympathy for them at all.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

I live on the saying...Needs and Wants.... Do i need it or Do i want it.. Hasent done me any harm so far
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

No sympathy whatsoever but their predicament is understandable. They were both jobless and on benefits when they had their win so they've never had to consider things like financial responsibility and paying their own way in the world.

If we all bought what we want instead of what we need we would all be skint. You don't need a super level of intelligence to realise that.

Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

@1956glyn wrote:

Hiya.    To be honest it looks as if the Benefits Agency are just doing their job. 

They just want proof that they have actually spent all the money before they will consider another claim.  

Sympathy for just blowing all the cash...no but this often happens if someone is not used to having money 😞

They seem used to (like so many others) having the taxpayers money.  IMO it wasn't very tactful to have the Jeremy Kyle show UP on. But why not rub it in. Heaven knows what that show does to our image? 

The faces in those pictures are restraining a smile IMO. Then that's tactful too Man Wink Woman Wink . A case of don't say cheese whatever you do Man Wink.

Interesting how at  the age  of 9 until 21 years one finds a job and after that goes into unemployment. As for no work as a scaffolder. This man needs to take a look at the UK. In almost all areas there is house building going on. There are construction jobs in the north east and shut down work starting soon. IMO this man doesn't want to work. Well has he said he will take ANY job? It's the ''me''/ ''now'' culture we have nowadays, the ''must haves''. right now.

There was a time when most likely the family would come up and take them in. Not so often now it seems. Because they expect these two to be given a house or a flat . And do you know what I bet they will get it . 

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

I might have a little sympathy for them if either showed a hint of genuine work ethic.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

Yes.....ethic!!!  Man WinkWoman Wink

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Not much sympathy.  

About the same amount of sympathy as they have shown self responsibility.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

No sympathy at all from me !

What they won is more than three years take home pay for me and if I won that amount, yes I would have a bit of a blowout but would have right at the start decided what I was putting away and not touched it.

If you have no money coming in surely you must budget a bit with that windfall and not spend up to £70 a day on food when some families have less than that for food a week.

They definitely sound like a workshy couple that think they should be taken care of by other hard working peoples money.

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

@tommy.irene wrote:

Where ? 

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

@al**bear wrote:

@tommy.irene wrote:

Where ? 

Just Google cheap houses Al... Search by: street, town, or postcode e.g. BT41 Min Price Max Price Bedrooms More search options No options selected Search Property For Sale, �25,000 to �50,000 Properties 1 to 5 of 13 Photograph 1, 14 Greenland Walk For sale Greenland Walk Larne 3 Bedroom Town House Offers around £49,950 Photograph 1, 14 Carrickfergus Road For sale Carrickfergus Road Larne 4 Bedroom Detached house Offers over £45,000 Photograph 1, 182 Linn Road For sale Linn Road Larne 3 Bedroom Town House Price £46,995 Photograph 1, 50 Carson Street Sale Agreed Carson Street Larne 2 Bedroom End-terrace house Offers around £39,950 Photograph 1, 2B Kylemore Gardens For sale Kylemore Gardens Larne 2 Bedroom Apartment Price £30,000
Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Ebay is the place for cheap houses if look for one..,,,and I Googled Scotland and found some at £45000 and less.
Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Tommy they stay in Guernsey

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Not the first couple to blow a fortune, and they won't be the last. Viv Nicholson and her husband won £152,000 on the football pools back in 1961, and a few years down the line she was declared bankrupt. They were the forerunners of the 'spend, spend, spend' ethic, and in actual fact, that was her mission statement. That amount of cash was an absolute fortune back in the day, the equivalent of £3.5 million today.

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Guernsey....nice! I'd like to live in Guernsey. It says they put some money away for their children.Doesn't say how many children they have. Totally irresponsible, so no sympathy.

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

@tommy.irene wrote:
I live on the saying...Needs and Wants.... Do i need it or Do i want it.. Hasent done me any harm so far

I live by a similar ethos, Tommy - if I can't afford to buy it outright, I go without.

I don't do credit cards or store cards or any kind of contracts and borrowing if I can possibly help it.

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

It wouldn't have bought them a house, but it could have been a good deposit on one.

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent