Are the Oscars racist?

With many Americans of African descent threatening to boycott this years oscar awards ceremony are they right to do so? I don't fully understand their complaint which Charlotte Rampling today described as racist to white actors, But while I support anything that counters people being disadvantaged due to co;;our or creed I do not see the answer sitting with a form of positive discrimination. If we were to pursue such a policy would that mean an end to the dominance of those from the Jewish faith in film and media. Surely it should be based on performance/talent. 

download.jpg

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Are the Oscars racist?

Well ....I always understood that actors were nominated for an Oscar because of the quality of their performance, and not for the colour of their skin. I would like the Oscar to go to the person who gives the best performance, not to the person who has the nicest black skin.

It reminds me of all women short lists in Political party nominations...we need the best candidate, not the best woman.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

I think the moaners are the racists. Sour grapes?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

I looked at a list of 'Probable' Oscar nominations over six months ago and there were very few films that featured black actors in lead roles. Two that were widely regarded as being possible nominees were Straight Outta Compton and Beast Of No Nation. The fact that neither of them received a nomination for any of the big awards doesn't necessarily mean that the Awards system itself is racist, but maybe that they simply weren't good enough.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

Oh so the 'Luvvies' are throwing hissy fits are they, stamping their feet and refusing to go to school ? Childish, infantile, petty, and puerile. IMO they need to grow up

I suppose next time around we'll have a whole raft of black actors up for nominations, regardless of whether they've put in an abysmal performance on screen or not, just to keep the aggrieved contingent sweet.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

If there had never been African American winners, it could be a reasonable question, but that is not the case. I get heartily fed up of minorities playing that card to get preferential treatment. Is an award of value if it is gained on colour rather than prowess? I think it would devalue previous AA winners if someone was included purely to appease a racism complaint.
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

As I said in the OP there is a train of thought supporting positive discrimination for minorities, in my view that is unfair to all involved, there is nothing worse than a bad actor, they could be surrounded by really good ones but the film would fail. Lets recognise true talent and performance regardless of colour.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

From what I've read it seems the objections were about the lack of overall diversity ie a preponderance of white males as opposed to blacks, women, the LGBT contingency et al. If that is the case then Charlotte Rampling's comments were a little ill judged. But as most of the objections seem to be coming from black actors and film makers then I think it is they who are making a race issue of it. Who will be complaining next year I wonder? One legged Lithuanian transgender dwarves with learning difficulties? It would make just as much sense.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Are the Oscars racist?

By law, anybody can discriminate in favour OF, but not AGAINST!  Man LOL

Many years ago racism reared it's ugly head where one team of equal opportunists decided to come on clever with ads for The Milky Bar Kid

"Why is the Milky Bar Kid white?  We want somebody of ethnic minority to play the part instead to advertise your chocolate!  

The owners of Milky Bar played it right and told the equal opportunists they were NOT prepared to be dictated to in the name of political correctness - all adverts for Milky Bar then ceased and quite right too!

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent