Heck, who's gonna be next?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35499149

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Another one bites the dust.

It's not particularly a strange phenomenon CD,  just look at the surviviors of any of the great bands of the 70's and 80's and take you pick, I doubt you would be far wrong.

I just can't understand the fuss over the death of an old artist. It happens when anyone gets old.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

'Another one bites the dust'.

Bit of a disparaging way to begin an obituary thread.

R.I.P. Maurice White. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Depends how you look at it. Tribute to Freddy Mercury also.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Death comes to everyone.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

True, although you must admit there have been more than a few since the start of the year, though.  

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

This is one of my most favourite songs ever:

Brings back memories of fun times clubbing with my mates.

R.I.P. Maurice White

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

True, although you must admit there have been more than a few since the start of the year, though.  

Yes, I admit that, but what about all the unsung heroes from a normal backround never in the media. These celebraties that have passed away gain tribute after tribute, they are no different to anyone else. Death happens, it isn't a surprise.

That doesnt mean though I don't offer my condolences.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

It's very seldom do you actually get to know the "real" person.  Like Bob Monkhouse, it's a face with his continuous wit and plastic smile.  The only people who really knew them were members of their own family.  He could have been a crusty old bugger in real life.  The biggest phoney of them all was Hughie Green.  Sweet as pie in front of the television cameras but the air turned blue if things went wrong offscreen.  Although Canadian, his accent was affectuated for viewers at home.  My late father put him firmly in his place when he refused to let him fly up to Manchester because his plane sprung an oil leak.  Like the royals, they're just normal people playing to an audience.   

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

It's very seldom do you actually get to know the "real" person.  Like Bob Monkhouse, it's a face with his continuous wit and plastic smile.  The only people who really knew them were members of their own family.  He could have been a crusty old bugger in real life.  The biggest phoney of them all was Hughie Green.  Sweet as pie in front of the television cameras but the air turned blue if things went wrong offscreen.  Although Canadian, his accent was affectuated for viewers at home.  My late father put him firmly in his place when he refused to let him fly up to Manchester because his plane sprung an oil leak.  Like the royals, they're just normal people playing to an audience.   

Agreed.

Look at Tommy Cooper, and how loved and followed he was, and the news when he passed. I won't state what I learn't about him because I didn't know him personally and the chap isn't alive to defend himself now, but I can report that my grandmother knew of a side of him that would not have been desired by most decent folk.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

He had a weird, out of this world sense of humour which went over a lot of people's heads but there was one thing you could say about him - with his trademark Fez and his over the top arm actions his humour was as clean as a whistle.  He was a one-off.  You can't say that about modern comedians.  There's absolutely no reason to pepper the language with expletives.

One of his quips was how he rescued a man being swept away in a fast flowing current.  He said "How did you come to fall in the water?"

"I didn't!  I came to fish!"  was the sharp retort.  The old one's are the best ones.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Late winters don't go well for people suffering from cancer.

It's rarely cancer that is the cause of death of a cancer patient, although that is always what is listed on the certificate. With cancer, and it's main treatment, chemotherapy, there is a side effect of a weakened, or destroyed, immune system.

When you have a late winter, many more bugs are passed around. Most healthy people don't have any ill effects from these and, at worst, get a touch of the sniffles.

Those who have a damaged immune system become very ill, very quickly from these viruses and bacteria. And with no way of fighting it off, their vital organs shut down and the end is swift

And that is the simple explanation of why so many deaths recently. It's been all over the country, but we only hear about the famous ones
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent