royal mail ...wrong address?

Hi, I'm asking for a little help here please,

so I posted an item out to a buyer to the tune of £160, tracked and all to the correct address as per ebay however Royal Mail have delivered it to an address some 300 miles away. I have called royal mail who have basically said there is nothing they can do, they can see the name of the recipient (covid signed so no signature) but they are unable to track the address the item went to??  and that I will need to "hope" that the recipient reposts it!!! alternatively I need to wait 2 weeks before I can make a claim but not for the full amount (and I know thats my fault for not using the correct service to cover the cost) So my question is, who is liable for it, will I have to refund the item AND lose the item therefore me being out of pocket or will the buyer lose out? its unfair eitherway when it is neither of our faults!

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

If you sent to the correct address and RM delivered it to the wrong address then it is RMs fault

If your buyer opens a dispute for not received then you should refund

If they do and you have tracking on the listing then you may win as sometimes ebay do not check the tracking as closely as they should. It would not be fair or honest not to refund if you know the problem is there

You claim off RM with your receipt

As you say if you did not send by the correct method of postage then you will only get ( if you are lucky) the amount of compensation you had on the item.

If you put a return address on the back of the item ( which you should always do) then it may get back to you

If the information is inside then it still may get back to you but may take longer

The recipient of the item is under no obligation to return it .

You have lower than 90% positive feedback...

You need to change something in the way you are trading at the moment.

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

how do you know it was delivered to the incorrect address?

Once a seller posts to the address they were given on the order/payment confirmation and tracking shows delivered they have no responsibility to refund.

Make sure the tracking is in the transaction.