Made an error with account details, ebay doesn’t track or recall payments. Did I lost my payout?

Hi, 

This is my first post here. With the recent changes in how eBay does payouts, I run into a problem. It would be fantastic if someone has any advice to share. 

When I was putting my bank account details, I made a mistake in a single digit, but the account was recognised as an HSBC one (mine is Monzo). 

I asked eBay for help before they issued the payout, but they advised me not to change anything as the payout should bounce back. Well, that didn't happen yet. The payout was processed and sent on the 17th of February and reads as "completed" on my account. Of course, I haven't received it as the account details are wrong. 

I called eBay help again, and they advised me there is nothing they can do and that I need to wait 30 days to see if the payout will bounce back. I contacted HSBC, and they told me if the account doesn't match, the payout will bounce back within 24hrs. eBay help insists that they cannot track or recall the payout, although this is a straightforward thing to do (a sender only needs to enquire about it through their bank). I asked if there is a possibility the funds will end up in somebody's else's account and that I will never receive it. eBay was very vague (at the end, they said that is a possibility). 

I find it very surprising that this is a policy. I mean, I cannot be the only person who made a mistake putting account details. Anyone had anything similar, any words of wisdom :)? (Or I should just accept that I might have lost £130). 

Thanks. 

View Entire Topic

Hi

I had a similar problem. A payment for £90.30 was made to a bank account which I dont recognise in January 2022 and I am still trying to get it back.

Ebay told me to go to my bank, armed with the payment number and speak to the manager, requesting that they send back the payment. Huh, I knew that was a waste of time and the manager refered me back to Ebay , saying that it is there responsibility to sort it out.

Not impressed but not giving up.