return policy infringement

I am becoming more and more bothered with private sellers trading multiple items who should be registered as a business with "No returns Accepted" I have sold on Ebay for many years  and advised some time ago to open my store as a business due to volume of sales and currently offer 60 day returns .Is this something Ebay have chosen now to ignore or are these sellers monitored and advised .Yes i am aware the amount of people selling on Ebay but after various purchases recently and a change of mind it becomes frustrating and obvious .

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Re: return policy infringement

Perhaps, just maybe, eBay are taking this action as they will be monitoring sellers themselves and dumping this AI dross that currently tells you they can find nothing untoward with any report you make.  Fantasy I know.

😆😆 definitely fantasy.  There are so many private (business) side hustles on Ebay who make up a massive chunk of listings (= fees for Ebay) Its not Ebays place to tell ppl the tax regulations which would lose them revenue, the latest HMRC rules will really hit Ebays pockets in years to come but id like to think in 12mths time we will start to see a decline in wanna-be businesses playing at being self-employed and undercutting real businesses which pay taxes and insurance

Message 21 of 28
See Most Recent

@ett1954 wrote:

Another scenario: eBay are concerned that HMRC will be overwhelmed by the number of people trading on eBay in 12 months time and not submitting the required self assessments.  This may well prompt HMRC to look at the reasons why.  These forums are a public record and the information they contain, although over the top at times, would be incriminating.  By stopping any discussion they may hope to mitigate this.

Don't forget though that all ebay need to do is archive any threads that contain incriminating proof of their complicity and then they're gone for good.

Message 22 of 28
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax  "Don't forget though that all ebay need to do is archive any threads that contain incriminating proof of their complicity and then they're gone for good."

Threads maybe, but reports, - not necessarily.  I keep on file any reports I have made together with the 'judgement' given by eBay.  Supporting evidence if I ever felt the need to go through HMRC's Hotline.

Message 23 of 28
See Most Recent

HMRC didn't have enough staff 25 years ago to look into '10k or less' level fraud even when it was blatent.

They have even fewer field offices so have lost local knowledge, and even less staff now.

This whole "HMRC are getting tough!" thing is pie-in-the-sky nonsense, as is the idea they have 'recruited more staff'. As is the idea eBay would be found in any way liable for the actions of users. A 6th form mock trial would likely result in eBay being not guilty, let alone the hot shots they retain IRL.

They may indeed have moved a few people around, but that's all. They will be overwhelmed  / not know where to start / use junk ''AI'' tools to try and process the huge amount of data from eBay and similar marketplaces they are wanting it from.

Message 24 of 28
See Most Recent

It will be viewed that rather than dealing with the problem ebay is going to try and shut down any debate on the subject. It will just add to the frustration and anger and the arguement will be taken on to social media forums that ebay can't control. As has been said ebay can archive any thread they don't like, that's not going to happen on other forums. 

Message 25 of 28
See Most Recent

I think its more the fear of being caught than "actually" being caught that will scare off the majority.  HMRC will only go after those they have the most to gain from so that their costs in investigations are worth it.  Im really getting tired of Ebays lack of interest to removing these private sellers, there are SO many of them now - I had a buyer last week really trying to screw me on an item for a discount etc, noticed they had left and received loads of negs, then I looked at their listings and had over a hundred (clearly not a private seller) - so blocked them as gonna be trouble but I sometimes feel lately, like Im trading in the wild west with buyers and sellers just out to screw us for every last penny, ignore the rules, threats of negs if they dont get what they want and Ebay stick their heads in the sand, now feels like it attracts dishonest sellers and buyers. The forums full of people being scammed and complaints too.  Ive stopped buying (unless my regulars for stock) or searching, Ive just really gone off it in all ways right now.

Message 26 of 28
See Most Recent

You can't refuse returns on a business account.  However, a couple of years ago, I was selling some 2nd quality ribbon and selected 'no returns' from the drop down - the app wouldn't accept the 'no returns' when I tried to save the policy.

I contacted CS and they said that I couldn't refuse returns because I was a business.  I asked why I was able to select it from the drop down, and I was told that it was a 'glitch'.

Message 27 of 28
See Most Recent

Believe me they dont need more staff!!

Message 28 of 28
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: